Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
They could have moved you to accommodate a family as well.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
Federal Air Marshall?
Yes, they're almost invariably Indian.

Originally Posted by deirdre
They could have moved you to accommodate a family as well.
A family of one?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Yes, they're almost invariably Indian.

A family of one?
North Dallas Russ was a victim of Jeff's random seat reassignment algorithm, just like myself and thousands of others. On my seat switches, nobody could ever tell me what happened or why it happened. I think that it is probably just another of the "changes you are going to like." Enjoy!

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United Premier
Originally Posted by zombietooth
North Dallas Russ was a victim of Jeff's random seat reassignment algorithm, just like myself and thousands of others. On my seat switches, nobody could ever tell me what happened or why it happened. I think that it is probably just another of the "changes you are going to like." Enjoy!
Man, being rewarded with 14 hours in a middle seat is surely one of those changes that I will like.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
So far since the 3/3 cutover I have had 10 segments with the randomizing seat assignment. And there was no equipment change no FAM no families being accommodated(exit row). So far the worst was a seat assignment that changed 3 times in a 48 hr time window, once after check-in with a mobile boarding pass!!!! Luckily I have so far been able to secure the same seat again, by repeadtly wasting hours on the phone getting my seat changed back.

To me it is pointless if you allow the passengers to choose seats if the system automagically change these seats to something different. It makes Southwests approach make a lot of sense...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
same same...

EWR>SFO last week, moved from E+ to E-, no reason. Called to fix, great agent, no problem, no fee.

Return leg: SFO>EWR yesterday, moved from 12C to 7D half way through last week after equipment change, called to fix as it split me from travel companion, was promised it was fixed (and saw 12C now occupied on map), agent got a little hostile telling me I would have to pay for the new E+ seat, but calmly explained to her why I didn't.... Online check-in 24 hours before, and was issued a boarding pass for 15C (limited recline). Great.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hjensen79
To me it is pointless if you allow the passengers to choose seats if the system automagically change these seats to something different. It makes Southwests approach make a lot of sense...
<Bolding Mine>

Maybe it's Biz Markie moonlighting as a lead programmer at UA.

Seriously, I feel for you brother. I, like you, have had at least 10 segments messed-up since 03/03. I have wasted hours and hours on the computer, or on the phone with what may or may not be the 1K desk (who knows because they always answer just "Premier" now). I have had some resolve in my favor back to my original seats and some not, and one resolve to E-.

I think the WN way might be better!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Kicked out of my seat on another United flight - this time a regional jet. Reserved seat 12A when I booked ticked and checked seat assignment every couple of days to ensure United hadn't kicked me out of my exit aisle. Today I check reservation 2 days before my return flight and I am now in seat 19A, the last row on the jet. Luckily I was able to secure 12A again or at least my seat assignment is shown as 12A on the reservtion, although the seat map shows I am still in 19A.

Called the premier line and the nice agent had the same issue with seat map showing me in 19A despite her trying to assign me other vacant flights. Guess if you fly United, you get to play seat roulette.

Pathetic!

Last edited by HitAndRun; Apr 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Crazy. . . kicked out of two seat assignments on upcoming flights Saturday. For some reason my aisle seat on the tatl segment got moved to a window. I checked online, and there were two aisle seats remaining. I change my seat to an aisle seat online, and then after a few minutes it snaps back to the same window seat. I called, and the same thing happened for the agent. She was very polite, but essentially she didn't know how to help me. She tried again, and this time she noted that the new aisle seat was still on my reservation after a few minutes.

However, the seat map now shows my seat back at the window. (Both seats are e+, so there shouldn't be an issue with that).

I can't get back my exit row seat on a regional segment, but I'm not so concerned about that.

It's just bizarre that my seat assignment keeps changing back to a different seat. . . and equally bizarre that the United agent is at a loss too. (again, to her credit, she was very friendly and seemed to try to be empathetic, but unfortunately I'm not sure if she was able to help.)

Last edited by 100countrygoal; Apr 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
This sounds like the "can't change seat and make it stick problem" after the initial change of seat assignment.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by deirdre
This sounds like the "can't change seat and make it stick problem" after the initial change of seat assignment.
Yep. . . and as others experienced, at 24 hours I could check in and see that my seat assignment did in fact change even though it was snapping back to a different choice on the seat map. I did lose my exit row seat on a regional segment.

Please fix this United. . . this is really annoying.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:56 pm

FWIW - I was traveling with my wife and son on Thursday from SAN-DEN and discovered, at the gate, that our seats in row 10 had been moved to a bulkhead row. It didn't turn out to be a huge deal as the A320's bulkhead wall allowed us to store stuff under the first class seats in front of us. Award travel.

Beyond that, in late march, I showed up to my exit-row seat only to find it occupied with someone holding the exact same seat assignment (but different gate), and the guy lined up behind me had the same seat as well. We spent some time swimming upstream and waiting on the jet bridge while they figured it out.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alfista
FWIW - I was traveling with my wife and son on Thursday from SAN-DEN and discovered, at the gate, that our seats in row 10 had been moved to a bulkhead row. It didn't turn out to be a huge deal as the A320's bulkhead wall allowed us to store stuff under the first class seats in front of us. Award travel.
If you ended up in row 7 on an Airbus, you got a poor man's upgrade
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
We're seeing the same thing! My GS partner and I have one trip that had 23 changes to the itinerary--seats and planes--since we booked it and not one of them was at our request. Our seats have moved as if they're playing musical chairs!

Another trick that the PostMerger company is doing. If I book an intl trip with a "B" fare that starts with a domestic hop, since 3/3 they consistently upgrade the domestic hop but not the international. I think they're doing this to get systemwides off the books, because they burn up the system wide for this.

It's nasty.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott (Plat), Hyatt (Plat), National (Ex. Elite)
Second verse, same as the first

This stuff is getting so old...

Two weeks ago booked AUS-RIC . The return was via IAD on an RJ145 so I grabbed 12B and 12C (exit) for the wife and I. Due to the warnings I have been keeping an eye on all fights of late, but this morning, we are in 6B and 16C. No schedule change, no equipment change, just random seat change.

Called MP, non American sounding male could not figure it out so I asked for supervisor, got transferred to Hertz.

Called again, non American sounding female figures it out but confirms there are no seats together which I knew. I ask her to bring wife to 3C. She says done.

Five minutes later, check on line, wife is still in 16C and I am in 3C.

On the third call American sounding female gets it straightened out sort of.

I asked each if they know how this keeps happening and they say no.

Now this is a short flight so not a big deal...just annoying , but it leaves me with zero confidence in UA right now.

On a side note, the IAD-AUS is an A319 but the online seat map shows an A320.

Please let my DL status match come through...

Trout

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.