Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
My ABE-IAD flight in 2 days got changed from 3D to 8D.......
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by pinerd
My ABE-IAD flight in 2 days got changed from 3D to 8D.......
Can't help but ask, can agents move you around to make room as they choose for whatever reason or is this necessarily a computer issue? Safe to assume there are no "tracks" in the system to determine who or what made the change (guessing they wouldn't tell us if there were).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OnePass Since 87

However, before I get completely flamed to a crisp, I will say that throwing it out there with out apparent complete testing and training has to be, retrospectively, one of the stupidest decision seen in this merger/takeover/whatever so far.
Regardless of where you sit on the Apollo/Shares debate, the above post deserves ^^ from everyone.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: United 1K, AA ExecPlat, Delta Ham Sandwich Platinum (former Diamond), SPG Plat
What the heck!!!!

I also check my seats almost every day. I selected Exit Row Seat 12A on the RJ145 a long time ago (3-4 weeks ago when I booked the flight).

Low and behold, today (two days before my flight), SHARES changed my seat w/o warning to Seat 19A, which is the very last row on the plane!!!!!!! A 1/2 hour ago, I changed it to Seat 12C (since my original seat 12A was no longer available...).

Upon reading this thread, I went back and checked one more time, and now SHARES removed me from the new seat 12C (that had appeared as "saved" 1/2 hr ago), and put me back into that crappy seat 19A again!!!!!

And now, all the seats in row 12 are no longer available, and there are almost no seats left on this flight!!!

I have not had to fly w/ United since the weekend of March 3rd, and I mistakenly assumed that most of these major issues had been resolved, but apparently not !!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE and PATHETIC!!!!!

UPDATE: Every time I go back to my reservation to change my seat from 19A to a different one, it originally appears to save the seat (and it displays my new seat in the summary page at the bottom), but then when I go back in "from scratch" to double-check it again, it shows me as being back in Seat 19A every time. Also, the seat I re-selected becomes available/taken in a somewhat random fashion (altough my original Seat 12A is consistently never available)....SO PATHETIC that United can't even correct this type of very basic and important functionality 1.5 months after go live!!!!!!

Thank goodness that this is at least a short flight!! (But if SHARES next loses my bulkhead Seat 7C on the ORD to IAH flight I will be FURIOUS!!!) (with ~38" inseam legs, I pick these seats for a reason!!)

Last edited by kwintheair; Apr 11, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by kwintheair
Low and behold, today (two days before my flight), SHARES changed my seat w/o warning to Seat 19A, which is the very last row on the plane!!!!!!! A 1/2 hour ago, I changed it to Seat 12C (since my original seat 12A was no longer available...).
This is the exact same thing that happened to me, with the exact same timing. 1) Moved to the very last row, 2) Original seat not available, 3) Moved to another seat, but 4) Pushed back to the last row.

Let me know if you ever get an explanation or solution for this.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:46 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by halls120
Originally Posted by OnePass Since 87
....However, before I get completely flamed to a crisp, I will say that throwing it out there with out apparent complete testing and training has to be, retrospectively, one of the stupidest decision seen in this merger/takeover/whatever so far.
Regardless of where you sit on the Apollo/Shares debate, the above post deserves ^^ from everyone.
I couldn't agree more ^^^^ (and sadly, we all see the results )
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
I have been kicked out of previously selected e+ seats twice recently - see my post below. This always seems to happen when e+ is full and I am reassigned from e+ to a center seat like 30B. My theory is that is not random but a GM wanting to buy e+ when no e+ is available and united intentionally reassigning e+ seat held by a 1K and giving it to the gm willing to pay for e+. If this is the case I am out of United.

"UAL.COM Kicking me out of previously selected economy plus seats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the second time this has happened to me in the last two intineries. I make a reservation through my corporate travel and select economy plus seating. After reservation is ticketed, I then log into United.com and verify my selected seats or change them to available exit aisle. When I log in several hours later or the next day, I find my seat assignments have been changed. Today on a SEA>SFO>BOS reservation a seat assignment was changed from emergency exit to 30B. There are now only center seats left. My previous economy plus aisle seat on one of the return segment from ORD to SEA is shown as blank with no seats showing as available anywhere in coach. I find it hard to believe that my corporate travel service would over ride my seat selection on United after the reservation had already ticketed.

I frequently find that once I have selected a seat on united the seatmap shows my new seat assignment. When I log back in, my original seat assignment is shown

Every time I fly Smisek's United, I experience at least one annoying problem. United is making it virtually impossible to justify continuing giving them my business. Why do i bother to fly United anymore? "
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by HitAndRun
My theory is that is not random but a GM wanting to buy e+ when no e+ is available and united intentionally reassigning e+ seat held by a 1K and giving it to the gm willing to pay for e+. If this is the case I am out of United.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by GoSpurs
Can't help but ask, can agents move you around to make room as they choose for whatever reason or is this necessarily a computer issue?
Like I said...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by fadeforward
This is the exact same thing that happened to me, with the exact same timing. 1) Moved to the very last row, 2) Original seat not available, 3) Moved to another seat, but 4) Pushed back to the last row.

Let me know if you ever get an explanation or solution for this.
I checked via the United App at exactly 24 hours out, and my original seat had opened back up. I selected it, and I'm hoping it holds.

People who are having this problem should call and check to see whether their original seat is showing as "blocked" or "occupied." Mine was the former. Perhaps in these cases they become unblocked at 24 hours out.

It's a workaround, not a solution. The solution is for United not to kick us out of our assigned seats.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:14 pm

My 2 seat assignment on Apr 6 PEK-IAD got randomly changed & separated 1 day prior to departure. After several calls to 1K desk, no agent was able to change the seats to my original assignment over the phone, even though the original seats are still open. Any seat change just won't stick in the system. Was told I have to request the seats at the airport, of course, those seats were gone before I get to the airport. Why is it so difficult for UA to keep/change a seat assignment?! Sucks!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:17 pm

Problem with seat changes on ual.com

hi,

I have noticed that on the new ual.com the seat changes do not work very well.
I tried to change my seat and it all seemed to work ok.
When I came back to the website 10 min later, I found that it had
reverted to the old seat.
So I changed it again, and it seemed to work, but when I looked
later the seat was the original one, ie, not the one I had picked.
I repeated this a few times, always the same result.

Then I called the 1K line and they told me that indeed the seat had been
changed, even though the website did not show it. When I logged
on again the next day I found that now the website was showing the
correct seat.

This has happened twice to me already.

Very strange, this never happened to me with the old website.
Has anyone seen this?

C.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Just Wait Until Check-in!

Originally Posted by bubblegum
hi,

I have noticed that on the new ual.com the seat changes do not work very well.
I tried to change my seat and it all seemed to work ok.
When I came back to the website 10 min later, I found that it had
reverted to the old seat.
So I changed it again, and it seemed to work, but when I looked
later the seat was the original one, ie, not the one I had picked.
I repeated this a few times, always the same result.

Then I called the 1K line and they told me that indeed the seat had been
changed, even though the website did not show it. When I logged
on again the next day I found that now the website was showing the
correct seat.

This has happened twice to me already.

Very strange, this never happened to me with the old website.
Has anyone seen this?

C.
At this point, you really have no idea what seats you are going to get. I was told the same as you on 2 different flights over a week ago, one of which I had printed boarding passes for, and by the time I got to the airport, my seats had been switched again!

Trust nothing they say! Verify everything! And document all of your calls to MP.

Good luck, and please come back here to report if you actually got the seats that you were supposed to have.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
At this point, you really have no idea what seats you are going to get. I was told the same as you on 2 different flights over a week ago, one of which I had printed boarding passes for, and by the time I got to the airport, my seats had been switched again!

Trust nothing they say! Verify everything! And document all of your calls to MP.

Good luck, and please come back here to report if you actually got the seats that you were supposed to have.
Update.

I tried to change it again (it was a nearly full flight. When I booked it originally I could get a middle seat in E-; then I moved it to middle seat in E+; last change was to window seat in E+).

Again, same story, ie, it all seemed to work fine but when I came back to it 30 min (or 1 hr or 2 hr) later it was still the old seat.

Anyway: I now checked-in online, and the boarding pass printed with the E+ window seat -- even though the reservation was still showing the E+ middle seat.

C.

PS I am 1K and there was no equipment change on this flight
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United Premier
Arbitrarily moved from aisle to middle seat after checking in?

Last week I was on a flight from Newark to Delhi. When I checked in I was an aisle seat. I printed the boarding pass that showed the aisle seat as well. When I went to board the plane, they scanned my boarding pass and it prompted them that my seat assignment had been changed.

As it turns out I was put in a middle seat. On a completely full flight, there was no way for them to put me anywhere else. I'm one of the guys mentioned in the "customers of extra size" thread that doesn't need a belt extender, but I have shoulders that exceed the 17" of alotted space. I went online often making sure I had the aisle seat, from which I can lean out and minimize my intrusion on the passenger next to me. From the middle though, there's not much I can do. The flight attendants were completely apologetic, but I really don't think there was anything they could do for me.

I saw the passenger they put in my seat, and it was just a guy there by himself, so it wasn't to keep a family together. Part of me sees an Indian gate agent changing my seat to accomodate an Indian passenger on a flight to India and I wonder if I simply got screwed because I'm not Indian.

With no change in aircraft, is there any other legit reason why they changed my seat?

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Federal Air Marshall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.