Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I'm repeatedly losing my preferred exit row seats on RJ145s, and it happens consistently when online check-in becomes available. I'm always re-seated near the back of the plane, even when numerous preferred seats are available.

Will United ever fix this glitch? It's minor compared with seat changes on int'l flights, but still!
I am experiencing the same thing. My favorite happened twice this month: the wife and I were in 12B,C, both 1Ks, and on the same PNR. I go to check-in and we are in non-exit row seats and in different rows. Come on United. I am getting tired of needing to babysit my reservations.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by VOH2OX2
I booked award seats today - but it said seating would be assigned at the airport. Today is the first day I could book award seats, the plane is empty. Why would they say I have to get my seats at the airport?
Thanks for any info and advice.
Same thing happened to me when I booked award tickets for next spring on 16 May. I just kept going in every day and trying to assign seats. A few days ago, they finally stuck. As of right now, we have seat assignments on all legs.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My flight GF & BF seats on CDG-ORD (767) shows sold out when I check the seat map, but when I checked fare class, it shows

Available Cabins: F0, FN0, A0, ON0, O0, J2, JN2, C0, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y1, YN1, B0, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

They are still selling BF seats, and I'm able to buy the seats at .bomb. What does that mean?
Will somebody get downgraded and be moved to one of the economy seats at random?
Old May 27, 2012, 5:23 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by mander
I am experiencing the same thing. My favorite happened twice this month: the wife and I were in 12B,C, both 1Ks, and on the same PNR. I go to check-in and we are in non-exit row seats and in different rows. Come on United. I am getting tired of needing to babysit my reservations.
+1
Happened to me for today's flight from SDF-ORD.
Kept bumping me to 15A.
I called to get it corrected, but I was bumped to 15A again.
I got it to stick once I checked in.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mander
Let's make that THREE times this month.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Random seat changes

I too have experienced this. What a headache UA has become. I don't have time to keep tracking and fixing their issues. I have 2 trips booked on them after that is all *A partners. No more UA until they get their together. Ridiculous.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 28, 2012 at 8:07 am Reason: language
Old May 28, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
After all the horror stories I just wanted to share a positive experience. We have two separate reservations for four seats. My wife (1st PNR) and three kids 2nd PNR). Equipment change voided our biz class (award) seats from New York to SFO. 763 -> 762 I think or maybe the opposite but from a three cabin plane to a two cabin plane. Pretty much a full flight. We originally had had two pairs next to the window (like 9 & 10 A & B) were given one pair next to the window plus the two middles of the same row (so 10 ABCD). Not perfect but they kept us all together which was nice since we could have been seated all over the aircraft a la some of the things others have experienced. Email confirmation of new seats.

To give credit where credit is due. this was on AA. If they can get it right, why can't SHARES?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Happened twice in two weeks. I've got too many reservations to be monitoring like this. It's ridiculous. I have a seat assignment - leave it alone! I don't like the middle seat, last row, by the toilet. If you cleaned the bathrooms it would make it marginally better, but I still wouldn't like it.

Come on UA get your act together. This is a really bad showing for a once great airline.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
Happened to me on a number of flights, just in the last month at least 4 times, all on E-145 segments, and on two different segments on two consecutive days this week. Usually seems to happen around 2-4 days before departure, invariably the computer moves me from the E-145 exit row or seat 1A to one of the last rows in the plane. Can't make a change that will stick on-line, always requires a phone call to get my original seat back. No change in equipment unless there are multiple types of E-145 with identical seat maps. Nothing like this happened to me prior to 3/3, now it is the new normal.

They hang a tiger's food from a tree in the zoo to make zoo life more challenging for the tiger, maybe this is United's way of making flying more interesting?
Old May 28, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
5 times since April 30th

Mostly on the ERJ-145. I always pick 1A since I usually have a tight connection and want to hop off. It always puts me in the last row next to the lav. Now for Wednesdays Flights. It messed with several of my 1st class seats and I lost the Aisle bulkhead. Making me a bit concerned with I am in BF since I love the aisle seat so I don't have to climb over someone to use the restroom.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Happened to me for the first time, on E145. Three of us (me, wife, and 7-year old daughter) on the same PNR had 3A/B/C. No problem on the outbound even though one of the segments was on E145, but I made a stupid mistake of allowing auto check-in for the inbound (I thought we should be ok because all flights were single cabin; besides, we were to be somewhere in the mountain at T-24). It was too late when I realized from the b/p sent via email that my wife and daughter were moved to 19A/C, leaving me in 3B. The only way to sit together was to move me to (understandably) empty 19B.

This must have happened very close to check in because I had been babysitting our itinerary until a couple of days ago. Not sure how to prevent this from happening in our next family trip (other than switching to AA, that is).
Old May 28, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA1K/2MM; LT United Club; HH Diamond; MR LT Titanium; IHG Plat; National EE
Thanks for Posting

JpMaxMan, thanks for posting. Because of you I checked my seat assignments for an upcoming trip and found I had been kicked to the back of the bus on all segments... luckily was able to rectify.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1k
Just checked my reservations for HNL in Sept. Found that on two of the legs, my seat had been reassigned out of e+/preference seating while my travelling companion (no status) was left in e+. Last time this happened they refused to put me back into e+ as I am only silver (booking was made in feb so I was entitled to be in e+). Thankfully this time the call centre did it without arguement.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Same here -- happened on 3 itineraries in the past week. I put an EF watch on my seats from now on. Sure enough, my phone blinged in the middle of the night with a text from EP to show my husband bumped out of the bulkhead seat next to me. Immediatley called UA and was told that seat is now blocked, maybe by an air marshal. You're kidding. Thankfully there were 2 exit seat rows still available. This is really annoying.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
This is ridiculous. Booked aisle seat when I made reservation a week ago. Check back today and lookie......moved to middle seat....no notice and no explanation. No aisle seats available unless I want to shell out $60 for econ plus.....don't think so. Instead, will look to squat in open econ plus seat unless can confirm an aisle seat pre-checkin. United less and less desireable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.