Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? **?Broken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Instant Upgrades (economy to next cabin) are available at booking for elites selecting Y/B fares on CPU Eligible flights. There also needs to be PZ space if Plat / Gold / Silver or PN if GS / 1K. GS/1Ks are also eligible for M fares.
If not available at booking, GS/1Ks will be waitlisted for the upgrade and will be prioritized above 1Ks and lower elites on supported upgrades (PlusPoints, Miles+copay) and CPUs. If PN/PZ become available after booking, you will need to check if the upgrade button is visible or call -- upgrades are not automatic and require a manual step.

TL;DR
(status: space required / eligible fare classes / availability)
  • 1K & GS: PN / YBM / at booking & able to waitlist (priority over instrument upgrades)
  • Silver, Gold & Plat: PZ / YB / at booking only (waitlist YMMV)

Do not apply PlusPoints or mileage upgrades to a waitlisted Instant Upgrade (GS & 1Ks) -- Instant Upgrades are a higher priority and applying the instruments will downgrade the request to solely an instrument upgrade.

PremPlus tickets show "B" fare (but underlying fare may be lower) for non-PremPlus flights and there are reports this may not always be recognized for Instant Upgrades.

For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively .

Feb 2016, Waitlisting was restricted to 1Ks/GSs. Plat / Gold / Silver can still Instant Upgrade but only if available at the time of booking. For lower elites, even if PZ later becomes available, it is not intended for them to be eligible -- however, occasionally someone can have success. YMMV
For flights departing on or after February 1, 2016, the following is the order of priority for upgrades, within five days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class on the upgrade waitlist and are ahead of:
Travelers on waitlisted PlusPoints Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then the time of request
All remaining Premier members: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then award travel
UA has introduced some additional waitlist tie-breaks -- "preferred customers / certain credit cards, .... See the earlier thread link on upgrade priority
Changes (2016Q2) to required fare class to clear
Originally Posted by edcho
From what i've seen for YBM upgrades (from coworkers and friends):
PN PZ = GS and 1K
RN = Plat - Silver
RN has been repurposed to Premium Plus / Premium Economy upgrade
PZ is the right fare class for Plat/Gold/Silver

Related, more general but older thread -- Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Add: When the instant upgrade link is broken (DIY does not work on App/web), you need to call. You can say something like that: "Hi, I bought an instant upgrade fare and it looks like the upgrade is now confirmable, can you please help me with that." See post #1384.
Print Wikipost

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? **?Broken?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
there was no button at all.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
So I called United again today and the agent still cannot confirm a seat in F for me even though I told her the ticket is booked in B and PZ1 available on that flight. Am I missing something here?
As an 1K it is PN inventory that matters but PN>PZ

Is the B fare due to PremPlus ticket? or a straight B fare?

Some B fares have a non-B fare basis and apparently that confuses the agent.

Have you tried the app or united.com?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there was no button at all.
I notice this statement in the wiki.
Feb 2016, Waitlisting was restricted to 1Ks/GSs. Plat / Gold / Silver can still Instant Upgrade but only if available at the time of booking
I don't know the source for that, but it might be interpreted to mean that you can't clear after booking except with instrument or normal CPU.

It's a little confusing, though, since I have cleared a Gold on B fare after 2016. So it might be the PE / "true" B fare issue.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
So this is the reply I received from the Twitter team:

Thank you for verifying. Please be advised the Complimentary Premier Upgrade on Y and B full-fare economy tickets are automatically being processed by the system without human intervention. Currently, there's no available PZ class on that flight.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
So this is the reply I received from the Twitter team:

Thank you for verifying. Please be advised the Complimentary Premier Upgrade on Y and B full-fare economy tickets are automatically being processed by the system without human intervention. Currently, there's no available PZ class on that flight.
1K/GS clear into PN. I have not seen that clear automatically. Not sure about PZ
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
1K/GS clear into PN. I have not seen that clear automatically. Not sure about PZ
That is concerning about PN as I have some upcoming flights with B fares.

Separately, the PN with B fares is only for domestic - correct? I have a NAS-EWR flight with a B fare and that should have PlusPpimts applied - correct?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
... Separately, the PN with B fares is only for domestic - correct? I have a NAS-EWR flight with a B fare and that should have PlusPpimts applied - correct?
Instant Upgrades apply to CPUable flights, NAS being consider Caribbean is a CPU destination.

Applying the Plus Points will lower your priority to PZ

Note the Instant upgrade, pre-gate list, isn't automatic, so you would need to watch while the PlusPonits is auto on PZ availability (meaning PN is available also).

Is your B a true B or a B due to a PremPlus fare?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Instant Upgrades apply to CPUable flights, NAS being consider Caribbean is a CPU destination.

Applying the Plus Points will lower your priority to PZ

Note the Instant upgrade, pre-gate list, isn't automatic, so you would need to watch while the PlusPonits is auto on PZ availability (meaning PN is available also).

Is your B a true B or a B due to a PremPlus fare?
True B
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:33 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Does United actually provide a receipt with Y, B, M (Economy) as the ticket class anywhere? On the emailed or website receipts it seems to be PN or PZ, which reads out as First and not Economy.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfw
Does United actually provide a receipt with Y, B, M (Economy) as the ticket class anywhere? On the emailed or website receipts it seems to be PN or PZ, which reads out as First and not Economy.
If you applied the upgrade after purchasing the flight, then your original receipt will show your economy booking class. If you applied the upgrade during booking (as can happen when logged in and the appropriate inventory is available), then your original receipt will show the upgraded booking class, and you won't be able to get the website to give you a receipt with the economy booking class. An agent might be able to help, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by cfw
Yes, but you will need to wait upgrading until you have printed the receipt.

Originally Posted by dkc192
.... If you applied the upgrade during booking (as can happen when logged in and the appropriate inventory is available), then your original receipt will show the upgraded booking class, and you won't be able to get the website to give you a receipt with the economy booking class. .....
In the past this was a reason given why the upgrade does not happen automatically at book -- the lack of an economy receipt.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:00 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, but you will need to wait upgrading until you have printed the receipt.

In the past this was a reason given why the upgrade does not happen automatically at book -- the lack of an economy receipt.
Very interesting, thanks for the insight here. How exactly does one do this then? I get taken immediately to seat selection for F, and a box appears at the top of the website saying my fare is eligible for an immediate upgrade.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfw
Very interesting, thanks for the insight here. How exactly does one do this then? I get taken immediately to seat selection for F, and a box appears at the top of the website saying my fare is eligible for an immediate upgrade.
When I did it recently I recall there was an option to "decline upgrade" or similar. It was probably on the seatmap screen, but could've been one or two screens earlier.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Originally Posted by cfw
When I did it recently I recall there was an option to "decline upgrade" or similar. It was probably on the seatmap screen, but could've been one or two screens earlier..
After not taking the free upgrade, finish the booking, print the economy receipt and then go back to your reservation. Look for the instant upgrade button and get your free instant upgrade. A very small chance it might disappear in the meantime, so do this two-step immediately.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I have been having trouble with instant upgrades on united.com. Works better on the United app. Anyone else experience the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.