Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How early may I check my bags before a UA flight?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx says,For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours.

There are reports in this thread of check-in agents allowing bag check in earlier than four hours prior to departure.

May bags be checked in the night before?

If it is more than four hours before scheduled departure, no, and there are no reports some reports for higher elites of a few hour earlier in this thread to the contrary.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
However I was always worried about checking my bag any earlier than a few hours before my flight since I can only imagine the possibility of it getting mis-handled goes up the farther away from your flight you check it in.
Agree with this, but never had the problem myself (i was amazed). My friend didn't need the clubs for a few days later so a misroute or two wouldn't be a problem.

I'll let UA Insider know. Wasn't sure this was his area or not as it isn't really a MileagePlus question (unless the times differ for MP vs general, who knows). Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:45 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Update

Hi everyone,

Taking inspiration from sam732’s recent experience, we took this back the appropriate folks here to see if we could clarify how early bags can be checked in and improve the communication on united.com around this topic.

The updated messaging reflects that baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before scheduled flight departure. However, as you have seen this can vary by airport, depending on daily check-in counter hours and if the station is equipped to accept bags earlier than the four-hour mark. We've updated a number of pages on united.com (including here and here) to reflect four hours as our "benchmark" in this regard.

Again, in practice it may be possible to check in bags earlier than four hours, but these situations are treated on a case-by-case basis based on local airport operational capabilities. The bottom line is that if you want to be sure you can check a bag, it's best to do so between four hours prior to departure, and the applicable baggage check-in cutoff for the particular station (and when the check-in counter is open, of course!).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airline
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Flying into JFK on B6 Monday, arriving at 1200. Flying out on ps at 2017. I have appointments in the city and would love to drop by T7 and check a bag before heading in. I know its a YMMV, but anyone have thoughts on if the agents will take my bag that early?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Doubtul. Maybe leave it in the united club.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:48 pm

Dropping off luggage early

Hello, I have a international flight departing from ORD at 5:45 AM
and I plan to fly to airport the day before and spend a night at the airport
do we know how early I can drop off my luggage? Is 6PM possible?
Thanks much!
Old May 8, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by flag
Thanks much!
4 hours prior to flight departure is usually the maximum time allowed. But with a 5:45 am departure, I don't think the counters are even open until at least 4:15 am at the earliest in ORD.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flag
Thanks much!
Nope -- 4 hours early is the typical limit.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-bags-iah.html
Old May 8, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
While I agree that checking luggage the night before is unlikely to be allowed, I have checked luggage in well in advance of the 4 hour limit (in the am for a pm flight, same day domestic) within the last 12 months. Problem - for city pairs with multiple daily departures - the luggage is placed on an earlier flight and goes round and round on the arrival carousel while you are still hours away, just asking thieves to help themselves...
No, definitely not paranoid here. lol.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've heard 4 hours as well. Whether you'd want to leave overnight in the baggage hold room is another question you might want to ask yourself.

Not sure if there is, but can you check if ORD has a luggage-storage somewhere - either self-serve lockers or a place that will hold them. Can't remember if there is, though I've never looked for that kind of thing there. Or maybe I'm just spoiled from now traveling a lot through Asia, where they do have that for a reasonable price (not to mention downtown check in at HKG).

Originally Posted by azzurro
While I agree that checking luggage the night before is unlikely to be allowed, I have checked luggage in well in advance of the 4 hour limit (in the am for a pm flight, same day domestic) within the last 12 months. Problem - for city pairs with multiple daily departures - the luggage is placed on an earlier flight and goes round and round on the arrival carousel while you are still hours away, just asking thieves to help themselves...
No, definitely not paranoid here. lol.
I suppose its possible - though I've had several times when my bag has made an earlier flight than me (either on standby, where it made an earlier connection, etc.) and I've always found the bag locked up (in the cages at ORD) or in the bag office upon arrival. Actually, once I began to fill out a delayed bag form, then looked a few feet away to find my bag sitting there as it made an earlier flight.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:41 pm
Suspended

5:55am flight. Check in and bags the night before

Is there any way that I can check in and drop bags off tonight if my flight is super early. I'm by far not the sharpest in the morning, so I thought a quick trip to the airport tonight might make tomorrow easier.

Anyone have any ideas if this is possible?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
Is there any way that I can check in and drop bags off tonight if my flight is super early. I'm by far not the sharpest in the morning, so I thought a quick trip to the airport tonight might make tomorrow easier.

Anyone have any ideas if this is possible?
usually there is a 4-hour rule, I think. I don't think it is possible.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

That's what I figured. Their website didn't specify.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ou81two
I'm by far not the sharpest in the morning, so I thought a quick trip to the airport tonight might make tomorrow easier.
In such cases, I recommend staying near the airport the night before, and actually at the airport if at all possible. That way, you can get up and be at the check-in counter in a matter of minutes.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:11 pm

You would think the airline would have systems in place, but the night shift leaving a couple bags for the morning crew..... I'd rather not take that risk....
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Just tried to check my bags to my destination and they told me I have to recheck my bags in Costa Rica where I have a 12 hour layover. No reason given except the muttered, "umm security."

I was planning to visit town during my layover but as there is no luggage storage at the airport, that looks to be too much of a hassle. I was going to take the local bus to/fro but with luggage I'd need a cab both ways. So much for a fun and cheap layover. I've had layovers before even longer than this, wonder why it was a problem this time?

I'm going to try rechecking right as I arrive but don't have much hope they'll take it.

I'll post my results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.