Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How early may I check my bags before a UA flight?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx says,For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours.

There are reports in this thread of check-in agents allowing bag check in earlier than four hours prior to departure.

May bags be checked in the night before?

If it is more than four hours before scheduled departure, no, and there are no reports some reports for higher elites of a few hour earlier in this thread to the contrary.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
I have checked luggage as much as 7 hours in advance at IAD with no problem, but I may have just been lucky.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bdelancy
I have checked luggage as much as 7 hours in advance at IAD with no problem, but I may have just been lucky.
When was this?

I know PMUA would take it on the early side, but I've never tried it post-3/3.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by bdelancy
I have done the same without a problem....
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:28 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Tried just before the summer at LAX at the F check in with an agent. Refused
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Originally Posted by channa
When was this?

I know PMUA would take it on the early side, but I've never tried it post-3/3.
It was March 10 - perhaps they were still totally confused because of 3/3.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Checked luggage on an extended layover?

This is probably a dumb question, but I hardly ever (voluntarily) check bags...
This week, I'll be flying on UA1664, a redeye from SFO to EWR. I then connect to UA68 EWR to ARN, which doesn't depart until early evening (10 hours later).

Will I run into any issues if I check my luggage all the way through to ARN? I'd like to keep my carry-on weight to a minimum, as I plan to take the train into the city during the layover in EWR.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jeebus
Will I run into any issues if I check my luggage all the way through to ARN? I'd like to keep my carry-on weight to a minimum, as I plan to take the train into the city during the layover in EWR.
In theory, an agent will check your baggage all the way if your layover is 4 hours or less.

But if SFO-EWR-ARN is on a single ticket, I believe that UA may make exception (the longest I have ever tried is about 5-6 hours).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I have had luggage held for overnight connects, so don't see any issues at all

Last edited by AZjohns; Nov 13, 2012 at 5:14 am
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
You can have the bags checked through all the way to ARN.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
checking bag in advance at LAX with UA

I tried searching for this topic but could not find anything.

I was wondering how much time in advance can a bag be checked before my flight at LAX with UA? I arrive around 12 pm and would like to check a bag for a flight leaving to IAD around 10pm.
Is that possible?
Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:06 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
I have often droppee off my luggage in the morning (AM10 or so) of late afternoon European flights at IAD. I wish I could do that for night before.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:03 am

Check-in luggage early?

Hi, I'm flying from Los Angeles to Amsterdam with United via Chicago. I arrive in Chicago at 5.53AM but don't leave until 6.10PM. Does anyone know if I can check-in my luggage for the Amsterdam flight that morning (so I can spend the day in Chicago without carrying it around) or is it far too early?

Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2013 at 10:37 am Reason: merged with existing thread
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I seem to remember a 4 hr limit on early check-in, but that may have been PMUA. - Just noticed that this is a layover - see previous posts in the thread that the mods have merged with this one.

Last edited by tods27; Mar 20, 2013 at 10:39 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Typically 4 hours in advance is the limit. Are these two separate tickets? Would be best to try to check the bags at LAX for AMS.

If you want a change of clothes for ORD, make that part of your carryon.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
I seem to remember a 4 hr limit on early check-in, but that may have been PMUA.
Thanks - I should have looked a little harder at the United website! A link someone posted before confirms that 4 hour limit, though someone did say they managed to do it 7 hours in advance.

As there doesn't appear to be any other options anyway, I guess I might as well just attempt to check it in when I get there but be prepared to take it with me as they'll likely say no.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Typically 4 hours in advance is the limit. Are these two separate tickets? Would be best to try to check the bags at LAX for AMS.
No it's the same ticket - it completely slipped my mind to get them checked all the way through to AMS, seems obvious now! Thanks.

Just one more quick question! I think this may be pushing it too far, but is there any way to get my luggage interlined onto a different airline not in the Star Alliance? For that last flight home, I'm flying LAX - ORD (12 hour stopover) - AMS (11 hour stopover) - MSE, but the AMS-MSE leg is on KLM. That last flight will also be on a completely different ticket.

(Sorry, I did try to edit this into my previous post but the thread stayed buried and I didn't think anyone would see it!)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 21, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.