Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Offload

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
It happened to me. I was upgraded to first at the last minute on a full flight. They gave my seat to a standby. Then just before the door closed, they asked me to get off because the person whose seat I was in showed up. I told them I'd only get off if the seat was a purchased first class seat and not some filthy Plat who was just changing flights and had a higher status than me. I'll never know if they lied to me, but I deplaned and only got a $200 voucher and a lunch voucher.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by SBFlyerUA
It's like SHARES is an evil monster guarding the treasure, and GAs have to fight it every time just to pilfer small trinckets for passengers, like seats.

My takeaway is that this is some weird SHARES phenomenon, based on software error or UA just deciding that premiers no longer get priority in situations like this.
There's a difference between SHARES and policies (followed or not).

Originally Posted by Darby
We get it. All the problems are because of sUA co-workers are too stupid to learn shares and mergers are hard. Never mind all the apps being rushed out for those "non existent" shares issues. Smisek and his sCO crew have bungled this merger. MP devaluation, lack of training @ sUA, "stone age" shares, etc., etc. The sCO fail list goes on and on.

Yet nothing is going change the minds of those cheering for the sCO home team. Unbelievable.
Yes, clearly UA having a new or perhaps not properly followed W&B bumping policy must be the result of an older ticketing and reservations system.

Last edited by PSU Mudder; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Check-in time has definitely been used as the critical criterion for IDBs in my experience. Check in early on those Qs, folks!!!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by chasbondy
It happened to me. I was upgraded to first at the last minute on a full flight. They gave my seat to a standby. Then just before the door closed, they asked me to get off because the person whose seat I was in showed up. I told them I'd only get off if the seat was a purchased first class seat and not some filthy Plat who was just changing flights and had a higher status than me. I'll never know if they lied to me, but I deplaned and only got a $200 voucher and a lunch voucher.
You could have refused and received IDB cash, the person showing up does not have any more right to a seat than you.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Which basically means that any bumps from these aircraft will always be due to weight or balance constraints.

lol. So true.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You could have refused and received IDB cash, the person showing up does not have any more right to a seat than you.
IDBs not available for weight balance/issues.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:30 am

My takeaway is that this is some weird SHARES phenomenon, based on software error or UA just deciding that premiers no longer get priority in situations like this.
This is the nub of the matter, in your unfortunate situation and all the others.
Is this policy? And when will we get a truthful answer?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by mre5765
IDBs not available for weight balance/issues.
Yes, but they were not bumping for that reason? The correct procedure would surely have been to offload the standby.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:47 am

I told them I'd only get off if the seat was a purchased first class seat and not some filthy Plat .............

"THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING"!
"WEEEEEEEEEEELL FOLKS"!
"We have a problem with our weight and we cannot take off until we determine who is the filthiest Platinum on this plane"!
"Everyone please turn on you computers and the flight attendants will be passing through the cabin, checking your bookmarks"!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by LilAbner
"THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING"!
"WEEEEEEEEEEELL FOLKS"!
"We have a problem with our weight and we cannot take off until we determine who is the filthiest Platinum on this plane"!
"Everyone please turn on you computers and the flight attendants will be passing through the cabin, checking your bookmarks"!
:-:
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by kalkat
This is the nub of the matter, in your unfortunate situation and all the others.
Is this policy? And when will we get a truthful answer?
Well evidently we have someone that doesn't listen to the pre-safety announcement by SMI/J on every flight! Something about how he wishes he could personally meet each and every one of you, and being honest and straightforward is the top goal ........... blah,blah, blah!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
In 20 years ive never seen a 1k IDB unless they tried to check in later than the 10 minute rule. Has this happened to others or is this just part of the new 1k experience or should I say non experience.
UX attempted this on me a few years ago. I arrived SFO from Asia in C and was connecting to ONT or SNA (forget which) and the GA, after several requests for volunteers, called my name and someone else and announced that since we had the cheapest tickets, we were being IDB'd. Oh, really?

Well, that didn't happen. I don't know what they did, but I didn't see any more fuss about it during boarding.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lots of mixing & mingling of advice here. The issue in this thread has to do with the unfortunate realities of weight & balance. Put simply, when the physics of the aircraft (lift & velocity) don't work, the aircraft goes down, not up. That's a bad thing. W&B issues affect smaller aircraft because small changes in weight and conditions such as temperature, affect the aircraft as a % of its total more.

Whether or not GA's are being institutionalized as the result of SHARES, all of the idle gossip has nothing to do with these simple calculations which have nothing to do with SHARES (other than I suppose depending on SHARES to produce a pax count which is verified in any event by a headcount.)

While it's unpleasant to have a scheduled flight and have things go wrong which are beyond one's control, until somebody figures out how to override the laws of physics, there will be occasions when aircraft are weight-restricted.

If indeed the people who say they are "elite" are "elite," they know this and don't rant about it. Those who don't fly often and get caught in one of these situations, are certainly due an explanation and, it would be smart for carriers which operate smaller aircraft to have a printed explanation when these situations occur rather than dissatisfied employees taking out their labor grievances on pax.

The best advice when this happens is to accept it and move on.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why didn't you get moved back to your original seat, and the presumably standby pax sitting in your old seat get bumped?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
How does freight figure into all this? If there's a W&B issue, and the plane is carrying commecial freight, is there a procedure that would remove enough freight to fix the W&B issue and put that freight on another flight? Or does it take precedence over passengers?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
How does freight figure into all this? If there's a W&B issue, and the plane is carrying commecial freight, is there a procedure that would remove enough freight to fix the W&B issue and put that freight on another flight? Or does it take precedence over passengers?
I have seen them pull the relatively small amounts of freight which these aircraft carry, leaving only checked luggage. Some of the freight actually is priority stuff which has various contractual guarantees (lab samples on ice and the like).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.