Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mre5765
Please use this template:

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Not leaving, but not staying faithful either!

I am still married to UA for now. But I am now seeing others. Cancelled 2 April intl flights that were on UA C fare (no cancel penalty) and moved to SQ and LH. Waiting to see if UA returns to some semblance of normalcy by then.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I left UA in the last quarter of 2011 after burning a $400 bump voucher. My total revenue contribution that quarter was $82, and I burned UA miles on two trips to Europe in November and December rather than buying tickets. I left because of the changes to the million miler program announced in September - 50% bonus miles just doesn't work for me if I fly less than 75K a year on UA metal. I just don't trust this airline any longer and even back in September was thinking what "enhancement" was going to come next. I'm not going to be around to be enhanced anymore.

It's worked to UA's detriment this year. I requalifed for EXP on AA on February 1 and would have 11 months left to buy tickets on UA. They're not going to see a penny. Instead, since February I've bought paid AA/One World tickets to DCA, MAD, LIS and DUB. Probably only about $2,000 of revenue there, but it's $2,000 UA won't see.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
My next three trips to Europe (March/April) are booked on alternative carriers during this tumult. Will see how things play out, but they don't look good right now and my future UA travel could be mostly on rewards unless it's the cheapest option. Still no 2012 card....
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
At 50K for 2012 already. On track to make 1K for the first time.

Are you nuts? I mean, yeah, I see the legacy 1K yelping, but I've never been anything higher than 1P on UA until 03 Mar when I became a PremPlat. So far, enjoying the boarding group 2 experience which so far has just been me.

Would AA treat me better? Probably not. I will get through this year then consider my options.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA G
A bunch bailed for AA last year. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-matched.html
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:13 pm

Probably not this year as I am too invested with flights year to date. Nothing has personally happened that would cause me to jump ship, but some of the horror stories on FT worry me. I see great value in the *Alliance and since most of my revenue travel is domestic, I can't see going to US. BUT that isn't to say if AA offered something I would turn it down.

I am really hoping all the bad is due to the integration and business as usual is right around the corner. I've seen first hand big integrations in companies and while getting the systems working is difficult, sometimes getting the employees to change and embrace the new company can be more difficult.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:16 pm

I stopped in at the Red Presidents Club this afternoon on my way back through PDX. When the agent asked for my UC card, ID and "boarding card," I said, 'Oh, I just flew in on Delta today and just need to stop in to respond to some voice mails I got while in the air."

After leaving the RCC, I decided that I am flying AS, DL, and AA for the next couple of months. UA needs to get this mess under control. I hope they do.

Last edited by B787938; May 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Unfortunately I don't have much choice because UA is my company's preferred airline (at least for now...) and UA/*A is often the most convenient option out of PIT to virtually anywhere on earth. I tried to shift some of my leisure travels to AA/DL/AS but it simply didn't work.

Actually my experience with new UA so far is not too bad. Sure, there were some issues like miles not posting, not being waitlisted for ug, RPUs not being redeposited, ecert disappearing, etc. but I was able to fix all but the first one thanks to the patient airport and phone PMUA agents who were eagerly trying to learn the new system. I also believe that all of these are just merger-related glitches and will eventually fade away.

That said, I do have a trip to Asia on AA next week so I'll see how the grass there looks like. I was already impressed when the Citi CC bonus hit my account right after the statement closing date compared to the current mess at UA.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ldsant
There are a ton of complaints on this board about United/Continental and all of the issues/problems. With all of the "threats" people make on a regular basis, how many of you are really leaving/going to another airline? I, for one, now buy tickets on the airline that gets me to where I need to be with the least amount of time and money to get me there. If it's UA fine, more often than not it's somebody else. What am I missing with doing this? Nothing. UA was not treating folks all that well BEFORE the merger. Seems that things have gotten worse. The only thing that will ever make a difference is when you walk with your wallet imo. So who all is leaving and going elsewhere?
(Bolded) - please speak for yourself and not us. Why do you think there are so many unhappy PMUA elites on this board now? They've managed to alienate EVERY SINGLE ELITE LEVEL (including GS, which was supposed to be above all the fray). That's quite the *accomplishment*.

I have a huge stash of UG instruments this year (due to the golden earning last year) and so I'll burn through those (they do give me a fightin' chance against the TODs), but come 2013, as I hit 1MM, what's the incentive? If AA looks good a year from now as they work through BK, I'd be more than willing to give them a shot. I'll always have *G/PG to fall back on.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Leaving" in some ways does not necessarily mean "leaving" so as to have no dealings with UA.

For example, I am likely to drop my UA 1k status due to the changes while still flying UA; however, fewer of my UA flights will be getting credited to UA's "loyalty" program. This is a result of "changes I think you will like".
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
For me,

1) I have cancelled a couple of trips or switched to other carriers during the integration pain period. For me this is probably just temporary as I assume a lot of the problems will be fixed in the next couple of months.

2) I think for most GS/1k, the most important part of the FF program is the upgrades (GPU, RPU, and CPU). Unless these happen pretty reliably, I'll probably stick with *A but fly a lot less on UA metal. If the TOD UGs are a policy change and not a glitch.... sayonara UA.

3) If I can't fly in the front of the plane on international at a reasonable price (e.g. less than $2500 RT TPAC), I'll cut way back on travel in general.

4) If UA devalues their FF program, once DL and AA get their business classes converted to lie flat, I'll seriously look at switching (all or half of my flying) to one of them.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by 5khours
4) If UA devalues their FF program, once DL and AA get their business classes converted to lie flat, I'll seriously look at switching (all or half of my flying) to one of them.
DL is lie flat.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Count me as one who will only fly UA when they have the lowest fare or are the most convenient. I challenged with AA last year, after many, many years of not flying them...As I reported in another thread, I am 100% on upgrades with them and only 1 for 4 on UA even while using regionals! I left UA many years ago for my int'l flying...better service, better equipment and lower cost!

I was a 30+ year loyal UA flyer...the policies instituted in this merger ended this loyalty!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Tons of rants on DL, AA & US boards too. They're all jumping ship to UA ! History repeats itself. There will be a minute % who say that they will jump and a minute % of those who say who actually do.

The game here for UA and the others is to see if they can shed people who buy deep discounts and collect pax paying Y/B.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am 40K short of 1 MM; so for the next couple of months or so UA it is.
After the 1MM I am not really clear what is the benefit of going for 1K every year so most likely will start flying the best fare/schedule.
I left DL years ago because their ground service was terrible as was their phone service - even as Plat (before they had Diamond); unlikely will go there again.
Will look into AA; not sure if they will treat me well enough to justify giving them all my yearly allotment of flying money.
Virgin America and Jetblue for inside the US, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean; Hawaiian for travel to the Islands.
I like coach AF and KLM (stopped flying them because of poor EQM on the cheap fares); for International Business flights I will go with whoever gives me a comfortable bed with decent food and good schedule at a good price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.