Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Astonishing debacle. UGS thinking of defecting.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Astonishing debacle. UGS thinking of defecting.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold after slowing down; former UA GS/1K
Thumbs down Astonishing debacle. UGS thinking of defecting.

I have been global services for about 4 years and I often fly on complicated itineraries internationally. Also make changes along the way, so the value of an elite program and especially dedicated agents who know system cold and recognize the value of elite fliers is of high value to me.

Far as I can tell, this new airline is incompetent. AT least as far as service goes. Flying experiences lately invariably include flummoxed and confused gate agents and check in counter agents. Cheat sheets, utter confusion, calling colleagues over to hunch over the screen together to figure stuff out (and I am talking very simple things, like getting on an earlier flight, or checking upgrade status), endless wait times on the GLOBAL SERVICES HOTLINE... All of these things are astonishing to me. I saw the primitive DOS-like screen the agents work with, compared to the sophisticated system in place at ua prior to merger. It's truly astonishing. Morale and frustration among employees is pitiful. Almost appears that CO is TRYING to offend and alienate UA's prized customers and employees.

Will this get better? Is there a reason to keep my business at COdbaUA if there is effectively no benefit to being a top revenue generator?

I live in Chicago, so I have a choice... Anyone know if AA is capitalizing on this mess with an aggressive status match? I would be a prime target.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:06 am

Yes, they are having difficulties.

Yes, you could switch to AA.

Yes, this will be temporary (but who knows how long it will take).

No, we probably don't need another one of these threads.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by petesamprs
"thinking" of defecting doesn't actually mean anything. Everyone thinks about defecting to different degrees (some for a millisecond, some long and hard but decide to stay). Post a new thread when you actually defect, since that is what will actually be newsworthy.
+1. Thinking about defecting but still filling UA's coffers is exactly what the company wants. THat means they are truly maximizing the value of their business.

Threatening to inflict pain does not actually inflict pain on the company...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Wait until a premier on a government Y fare trumps you the GS on the waitlist. Then you will really be gone.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:45 am

Newly combined company is going through birthin' pains. Give 'em six months then make your decision.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Newly combined company is going through birthin' pains. Give 'em six months then make your decision.
The problem is that in the meantime, OP needs to go places and do things. It's all well and good UA needs 6 months to "work out the kinks" but frankly, if I were OP, I'd move over to AA until UA got its act together and made some serious acts of contrition to get my business back. Why in the world should customers paitently deal with UA's inability to make this merger happen more smoothly?

They may have saved serious $$$ by sticking with SHARES, but one has to wonder whether this will be more than offset by the business lost from PMUA folks who get tired of hearing how "the new system" is to blame for everything they used to be able to do but can't anymore.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by eratosthaenes
I have been global services for about 4 years and I often fly on complicated itineraries internationally. Also make changes along the way, so the value of an elite program and especially dedicated agents who know system cold and recognize the value of elite fliers is of high value to me.

Far as I can tell, this new airline is incompetent. AT least as far as service goes. Flying experiences lately invariably include flummoxed and confused gate agents and check in counter agents. Cheat sheets, utter confusion, calling colleagues over to hunch over the screen together to figure stuff out (and I am talking very simple things, like getting on an earlier flight, or checking upgrade status), endless wait times on the GLOBAL SERVICES HOTLINE... All of these things are astonishing to me. I saw the primitive DOS-like screen the agents work with, compared to the sophisticated system in place at ua prior to merger. It's truly astonishing. Morale and frustration among employees is pitiful. Almost appears that CO is TRYING to offend and alienate UA's prized customers and employees.

Will this get better? Is there a reason to keep my business at COdbaUA if there is effectively no benefit to being a top revenue generator?

I live in Chicago, so I have a choice... Anyone know if AA is capitalizing on this mess with an aggressive status match? I would be a prime target.
If you are a truly top revenue generator for UA, then you wouldn't complain about the small little, you wouldn't have time to. Remember that within the GS, there are many that just "barely" made it. And some re-qualify for next year within the 1st quarter of flying.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reason: language
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
UA is 12 days into the change over. The system merger is going ok and the UA agents are learning the new system. It is obviously not going to be like this forever. Deep breath you're ok.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, are people being harsh in this thread. Person gives their reasons then asks a question if AA is matching status and you all pile on them. If you all don't want to read "yet another thread" then don't read it.

Back on topic. I don't know the answer. A few in the Million Mile thread have claimed to be working with AA for a match but no results have been posted.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 100K
If I were you, I'd be gone today. The system changeover is abhorrent. Vote with your money.

Small tangent: why even choose AA? Why not an intl *A carrier? They'll treat you *so* much better than US-based airlines. (if you're doing 300,000/yr you could easily qualify for LH HON)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you all piled on. Well, FT has become one of the most negative places on the web in the UA forums. I used to enjoy coming to get information and help if I could to answer people questions. I have found myself being negative in threads by being sucked into the negativity here. I think I am just going to step back for a few months.

To the OP, good luck in your decision. If more GS step away then maybe, just maybe UA might start to notice. You have legitimate complaints and asked a simple question and gave your reasons. I am sorry for the negative answers, or non answers as I only saw maybe 1 or 2 that actually used the letters AA in them. Only you can make your final decision but like you I would want to get information first before making a decision and that is what you tried to do in this thread.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:51 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Baze
You have legitimate complaints and asked a simple question and gave your reasons. I am sorry for the negative answers, or non answers as I only saw maybe 1 or 2 that actually used the letters AA in them. Only you can make your final decision but like you I would want to get information first before making a decision and that is what you tried to do in this thread.
Well said. ^

People, if you'd like to contribute to eratosthaenes please feel free to do so, if not, feel free to move along to other threads.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by kittiyut
If you are a truly top revenue generator for UA, then you wouldn't complain about the small little, you wouldn't have time to. Remember that within the GS, there are many that just "barely" made it. And some re-qualify for next year within the 1st quarter of flying.
Interesting point of view. I would think that if I am a really serious revenue generator for UA then I would most certainly complain about not being able to get what I need fromt the airline...especially if it is basic things.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm Reason: quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Interesting point of view. I would think that if I am a really serious revenue generator for UA then I would most certainly complain about not being able to get what I need fromt the airline...especially if it is basic things.
+1

But Jeff is bringing the CO culture "all elites are equal" to UNITED.

GS or not.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:11 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
The system merger is going ok and the UA agents are learning the new system.
Not sure how you define "OK" but there are literally thousands who may disagree with you on this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.