Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Problem getting seat assignment on new site ("not sticking")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem getting seat assignment on new site ("not sticking")

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA-MP S, DL-PM, HHonors D, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC
Just came in from SFO yesterday and had same issue...first original seat assignment was wiped out and I couldn't get seat assignment to stick. Not worth trying to address on the phone, so handled at SFO (where I had a layover) at Customer Service center. IAD agent issued new seat, but in flight noticed it was an aisle, so figure I'd talk to agent in SFO to get a window seat. First, tried to use kiosk to simply move seats, but that was't working at I had to "upgrade" to Economy plus. So then I went to an agent.

That's where it got interesting...first agent looked at my status and advised that he didn't know what my status was, cause United doesn't use Gold, but uses Executive Platinum, 1K and was was unsure if I was even eligible for E+...since system wouldn't let me move my seat to a preferred window seat. Looked at new MP number and said that's not a MP #. It was ridiculous.

Eventually, he did what he should have and looked into the reservation...and seat map and advised I couldn't move cause all seats were at control of gate agent at this point...but kiosk was allowing me to "upgrade" to a different seat for a fee. He continue to be sassy and said there was nothing to do, but eventually gate agent straightened out, although they were boarding using naming convention of old Mileage Plus....guess they is some bitterness in SFO.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dave37
I'm traveling from NRT-SEA tomorrow, and for some reason the new site won't let my seat selection stay. I changed my original reservation to a day earlier, and the flight shows the open seats, shows my selection of an open seat - then I hit continue. It acts like it did something, but when I go back and look, I still have no seat assignment.

Anyone else have this issue and know how I might work around it? I'm currently in Japan with a US cellphone, which has baffled me on how to call untied to talk to someone.
What web browser are you using? I had this same issue this week trying to get my seat assignments post upgrade using Chrome. I switched to Firefox and the seat selections were saved.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by ORDFlyer33
What web browser are you using? I had this same issue this week trying to get my seat assignments post upgrade using Chrome. I switched to Firefox and the seat selections were saved.
I had trouble with Chrome, but managed to get them to stick using IE.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Trying to book flights ORD-IAH-ORD in June. Regardless of dates, I cannot even view a seat map, much less assign a seat.

This seeems to be restricted to flights leaving ORD on Saturdays. Changing dates to depart on weekdays seems to work.

On hold with CS now, we'll see how long it takes
Old May 9, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Res showing R but only Y seat map avail

Arghhh. Guess UA got me back for refunding some tkts today. I have a flight that was WL for a CPU. I received sn email saying I was upgraded but TO SEAT 21D which is NOT an upgrade at all When I checked the Reservation it did in fact show me in R class but with seat 21D. Many open seats in F to choose but none will stick. Every time I choose one it says OK but 1 min later moves me back to Y. Should I just forget it and wait to choose my seat at the airport or sit on hold all day for a CS. (I'm overseas now so don't really feel like calling but don't want to sit in Y on my domestic flight either
Old May 9, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Arghhh. Guess UA got me back for refunding some tkts today. I have a flight that was WL for a CPU. I received sn email saying I was upgraded but TO SEAT 21D which is NOT an upgrade at all When I checked the Reservation it did in fact show me in R class but with seat 21D. Many open seats in F to choose but none will stick. Every time I choose one it says OK but 1 min later moves me back to Y. Should I just forget it and wait to choose my seat at the airport or sit on hold all day for a CS. (I'm overseas now so don't really feel like calling but don't want to sit in Y on my domestic flight either
Call in.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
Seat assignments don't stick on some of my UA flights

Seat Assignments:
MEL - SYD: 16K
SYD - SFO: 16J
SFO - JFK: 2D
EWR - NRT: ---
NRT - HKG: ---
HKG - BKK: ---
BKK - MEL: ---

Why is it that I can't get the UA seat reservations to stick on EWR-NRT and NRT-HKG flights, even though the first three flights are OK?

I go onto the UA website, select my seats, click 'continue', come back in to have a look and they're not saved - just three dashes as you can see above.

Perplexed!

Don't worry about the HKG-BKK and BKK-MEL flights. They're on Thai Airways.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:13 am

Several possible reasons: the equipment type may be in flux, the system may be undergoing IT maintance (try again later), system failure. It is also possible that the seat assignments may have been made but just are not comming through on the webinterface; you could find this out by calling UA.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
How far in the future are these flights?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by exerda
How far in the future are these flights?
Dec 2012/Jan 2013
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
I was having the same problem with flights 330 days out but also with some 6 months out. I just kept going back and eventually after 2 weeks, the seat assignments stuck.

Not sure if it's some software glitch.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth
I was having the same problem with flights 330 days out but also with some 6 months out. I just kept going back and eventually after 2 weeks, the seat assignments stuck.

Not sure if it's some software glitch.
When you click a seat, your name doesn't appear in the space next to the seat.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cheap pacific fares
Dec 2012/Jan 2013
Hmm, well, it wasn't the issue I was having for a 2013 itin. When I booked the new DEN-NRT service, my return flight's seat assignments wouldn't ever stick, and not even phone agents could assign them. Turned out though the flight was bookable, it was so far out (around 330 days IIRC) that the system wasn't taking seat assignments. A few days later, the seats stuck fine.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:38 am

Phoned UA. Told them the problem. They came back after 20 minutes to say they'd gone into my booking and made the seat reservations. When I now go on the UA website to view my seats, they are still there. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Doesn't explain my initial question though. Seems like they're having technical issues at UA!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
Seat selection fail on United.com for UA 804 (SIN-NRT-IAD)

Trying to nail down a seat assignment in C on this leg of my trip. I try to change the travel-agent-assigned seat assignment for SIN-NRT, but it doesn't take. There is no seat assignment for me for NRT-IAD, which is bizarre -- I assume that while it's a continuation flight of the NRT-SIN leg, it's not the same aircraft and my seat assignment for the SIN-NRT leg doesan't hold for the NRT-IAD leg.

I can freely assign the other legs of my triop without issue.

What is going on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.