Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Problem getting seat assignment on new site ("not sticking")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:00 am
Original Poster

I'm traveling from NRT-SEA tomorrow, and for some reason the new site won't let my seat selection stay. I changed my original reservation to a day earlier, and the flight shows the open seats, shows my selection of an open seat - then I hit continue. It acts like it did something, but when I go back and look, I still have no seat assignment.

Anyone else have this issue and know how I might work around it? I'm currently in Japan with a US cellphone, which has baffled me on how to call untied to talk to someone.

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Are you within 24 hours of departure? My understanding the reservation is now controlled by the airport, not by you.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

It is now less than 24 hours (23 to be exact), but I've had this problem for a couple of days trying to get a seat on this flight (shame on me for not calling when I was at my company's office when someone local could have helped me call united).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
I had the same problem. For an upcoming flight I was upgraded into 2E, then went on the web site to choose a window seat, 2A. Look like it confirmed but when I checked it later on, I was still in 2E and 2A was full, so I tried 2F. Again confirmed but when I immediately rechecked, still 2E (but 2F now unavilable). Same for several more tries. Finally called GS line and after 15 minutes of elevator music, got someone to put me in 2A. Only issue was that on my view of the web site, I was still in 2E! Boarding pass now issued, showing 2A, so we'll see when I get to the airport... Clearly there is a major bug in their seat selection. For the OP, I would guess that when you choose a seat, it may be set even though it doesn't show, but of course there's no guarantee for this. Good luck!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I'm flying IAD-GRU in 2 days and the seat chart this morning shows that there has been an aircraft change from old config to new config 777. I was moved to a new seat which I don't like and although I can see other available seats for selection the web site fails to move me to the new seat I select.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I'm flying IAD-GRU in 2 days and the seat chart this morning shows that there has been an aircraft change from old config to new config 777. I was moved to a new seat which I don't like and although I can see other available seats for selection the web site fails to move me to the new seat I select.
You're probably going to have to call - provided your more than 24 hours outside the window.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
I had the same problem twice before and calling I believe allowed them to go in and clean up the reservation as some feature of that particular itinerary may have prevented its being written to. Indeed, both such times, I had some change or complex feature that made it a non-standard itinerary which had to have a leg "clean" up (either deleted or some other, can't remember anymore). Hope that helps.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I had a same problem: changed the seat and looked ok right after that, but later the itinerary showed the original seat. I didn't try to fix it because the original seat was still ok and couldn't spend an hour on the phone.
When I checked in, however, the bp showed my new choice so I was happy in the end.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:10 pm

ditto

Fortunately, my flights are not until next year; but had the same problem with seat selection. Chose from available seats, clicked on Continue, nada. Reservation still shows no seats assigned. I'm just going to wait until things die down a bit and call to get the seats I want. Sigh...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Same issue here. I called and after spending quite a while on the phone was told that it's a known issue at the moment and to try back "in a few months."

Yeehaw...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:06 pm

I spent 50 minutes waiting to speak to an agent. The agent who answered couldn't change it either. Another 45 minutes on hold until he got it fixed. He was helpful and apologetic, so that was good. But it was a waste of my time and his to fix something that should not be an issue.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
One more here - called and was told of the "known problem." Even though it never looked correct online, it worked out in the end (checked in to the changed, preferred seat for tomorrow's flight). Be sure that the seat that you are selecting shows online as occupied when you have pressed "continue", even of your reservation does not show that choice.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I just got bumped out of 2A and 2B and of course it won't let us move back and even 2B shows occupied which may be one of us...who knows...also shows its an exit row...strange indeed.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I just got bumped out of 2A and 2B and of course it won't let us move back and even 2B shows occupied which may be one of us...who knows...also shows its an exit row...strange indeed.
I've been noticing this as well on my PMUA 752 flights. I'll book something in Row 2, which always shows up as an Exit row now, and then around check-in time I'll notice that I've been bumped to row 6. I can usually re-select something in Row 2, but apparently just another IT bug.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mlx52
I've been noticing this as well on my PMUA 752 flights. I'll book something in Row 2, which always shows up as an Exit row now, and then around check-in time I'll notice that I've been bumped to row 6. I can usually re-select something in Row 2, but apparently just another IT bug.
I was able to call and get back to row 2, but of course it still shows the wrong seats when I pull up the reservation online...sounds like from what others have said that the correct seat eventually shows up on the boarding pass though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.