Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist expired for SWU supported UG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
If you are flying sfo-ord-ams and you go to the airport the day before at <24 hours to sfo-ord departure to check in will you get added to the airport W/L for both segments? My recollection was on PMUA you could only checkin for departures within 24 hours including any connections.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Beerman92
If you are flying sfo-ord-ams and you go to the airport the day before at <24 hours to sfo-ord departure to check in will you get added to the airport W/L for both segments? My recollection was on PMUA you could only checkin for departures within 24 hours including any connections.
Airport will; check you in only on day of flight.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gailwynand
If you are on an international itinerary you are not officially "checked in" until you are at the airport and someone has looked at your passport. It doesn't matter if you did OLCI or not.
That's interesting. I didn't realize that...

Originally Posted by uyflyer
Thanks for the feedback. I should be able to confirm whether this is true shortly. But regardless, this is a *very bad* development. It means that by the time you go to the airport to have yours docs checked, you will be behind everyone else that has only the domestic leg!. So effectively, if your domestic portion of a SWU supported UG does not clear before T-24, then you are hosed.

In PMUA, even if you had to have your docs checked, you will be put in the UG list in the proper order. Yet another change that I don't like and may influence my travel patterns. More so if the same happens for the international portions, as being reported in another thread.
I'm not sure this has changed. Once the domestic leg hits T-24, then everyone is ordered by elite level/fare/upgrade instrument; it's not FIFO. Even if you can't "check in" for the flight until you get to the airport, checkin time is the least important tie-breaker.

In fact, it was my understanding that your supporting the upgrade with an SWU would put you ahead of anyone using miles (if not TODs ).

Is this inaccurate?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K
Update:

If you are on an international itinerary you are not officially "checked in" until you are at the airport and someone has looked at your passport. It doesn't matter if you did OLCI or not. So I would not worry.

I'm looking at the waitlist for my international flight tomorrow and it shows 0 "checked in" in J. And I'm sure that people have done OLCI at this point. There are also no names on the upgrade list yet.
Gailwynand is indeed correct. I went to the airport, had my documents checked and then magically showed up at the top of the upgrade list (so the 1K agent that told me over the phone about 2 lists was incorrect). Of course, since yesterday at T-24 and now T-2:30, a few people were cleared, so being at the top of the list now is kind of a moot point.

I much prefer the PMUA algorithm where you were entered in the upgrade list at OLCI, even if docs needed to be checked. So Caveat emptor ..

Thanks to all for the comments
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are on an international itinerary you are not officially "checked in" until you are at the airport and someone has looked at your passport.
This is not the case if you are traveling to a non-visa destination and you have scanned your passport in at a kiosk at some point recently so that they have the real info in their systems. It is absolutely possible to be checked in at that point. There may still be a need to verify docs, but that doesn't prohibit you from being checked in.

Being added to other lists might not happen, but I've been fully checked in only with OLCI more than once.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K
I had traveled internationally recently (albeit pre 3/3) in both PMUA and PMCO and had my passport scanned. Yet, factually, it seemed that I was not fully checked in until my docs were checked at the airport. I will report back in a week or so whether having docs scanned after 3/3 enables "full" OLCI or not.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is not the case if you are traveling to a non-visa destination and you have scanned your passport in at a kiosk at some point recently so that they have the real info in their systems. It is absolutely possible to be checked in at that point. There may still be a need to verify docs, but that doesn't prohibit you from being checked in.

Being added to other lists might not happen, but I've been fully checked in only with OLCI more than once.
Thanks for the clarification. I am traveling to a "visa" destination thus my current experience is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.