FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Waitlist expired for SWU supported UG? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324943-waitlist-expired-swu-supported-ug.html)

uyflyer Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Waitlist expired for SWU supported UG?

I am thoroughly confused on how upgrades work now. I have been on a waiting list for the domestic portion of an international itinerary upgraded with an SWU (thankfully the over-water portion cleared at booking).

Today, at T-24 I received an email stating that the "waitlist has expired" and that I will be added to the "upgrade standby list" when I check in for my flight. After OLCI, I dutifully checked the upgrade list on the mobile app and my name is nowhere there. The 1K agent indicated that there are two lists and that my name should be on a second (invisible) one, with no way for me or her to check.

Questions:

(1) Is the agent right? Are there 2 lists and no way to find out about your position other than at the gate? How are these lists merged/prioritized?

(2) Does the system now lose its memory? If your instrument supported upgrade does not clear before T-24, then you go to a different list prioritized by when you check-in and *not* by when you requested the upgrade (assuming equal status and fare)? This seems a step backwards!

I very much preferred the PMUA systems where at list I could see the "pending" and "waitlist" and find the position in the upgrade list via the old app.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

bsmnsr Mar 15, 2012 2:53 am

Right now during the post merger computer system "honeymoon" anything is possible both positive and negative.

I'm not sure if there are two lists or not, but I'd definitely stop by a CSA at the airport and be sure you are on the airport list as that's the list that matters.

Agents generally have the ability to add to the list.

1k650 Mar 15, 2012 4:48 am

Exactly the same thing happened to me! Except that the agent did not give me the "two" list story. She told me that she could see in my record that I was on the list but when she went into the flight, she could not find me on the list. At the gate, I was told that I was not on the list, and there was no way to put anyone on the upgrade list within 24 hours of the flight if they were not already wait-listed!

as219 Mar 15, 2012 6:21 am

I believe this is a SHARES thing. The waitlist "expires" at T-24 because at that point you can't be added to it anymore. You're still in the queue, however, so in that sense you're fine. I agree that the wording is terrible -- it implies you're no longer in the queue -- but, assuming no horrendous glitch (which, of course is possible if not likely) you shoul be fine.

demkr Mar 15, 2012 6:26 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The problem is the seeming inability of agents to add you to the queue

uyflyer Mar 15, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks for the comment. Except that the "wait-listed" segment that used to be in my reservations (showing waitlisted for R) has dissappeared and the reservation now only shows the Y segment. My name is also not showing in the upgrade list. So, AFAIK the upgrade request has completely vanished or it is hiding in some "secret" list that I can't see until the gate (and by then it will be too late). Not a major thing for this short flight, but if this was a transcon then I would be very unhappy.

Pegardless, does then the memory of when the upgrade was requested vanish at T-24?

as219 Mar 15, 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by uyflyer (Post 18204711)
Thanks for the comment. Except that the "wait-listed" segment that used to be in my reservations (showing waitlisted for R) has dissappeared and the reservation now only shows the Y segment. My name is also not showing in the upgrade list. So, AFAIK the upgrade request has completely vanished or it is hiding in some "secret" list that I can't see until the gate (and by then it will be too late). Not a major thing for this short flight, but if this was a transcon then I would be very unhappy.

Pegardless, does then the memory of when the upgrade was requested vanish at T-24?

It's a secret list. You should be fine.

This is one of those PMCO things that throws us PMUA people for a loop. When you check in, loot at the upgrade list for your flight on the UA app. If your name isn't there...then you have a problem.

EDIT: Oh wait, you said your name isn't there... Hmmm. You may have a problem.

mnmme Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by uyflyer (Post 18204711)

At T-23:59 a new list is created. If you check in at T23:58 and your name isn't on the list - which you can see online or on mobile app. You have a problem. Phone customer service can not help you with this problem. Only someone at the airport can help you.

And YES, you can be added to the list at the airport!

Now, since 3/3, finding someone who can or will add you to the list at the airport is ...........................

kb1992 Mar 15, 2012 11:02 am

Right, you can't request upgrade waitlisted within 24 hours using miles or RPU/GPU.

Another great feature of CO SHARE system. :td::td::td:

mnmme Mar 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 18206466)
Right, you can't request upgrade waitlisted within 24 hours using miles or RPU/GPU.

I'm curious why you would? If you bought a last minute ticket you'd be Y/B/M and higher than RPU anyway?

gailwynand Mar 15, 2012 1:09 pm

If you are on an international itinerary you are not officially "checked in" until you are at the airport and someone has looked at your passport. It doesn't matter if you did OLCI or not. So I would not worry.

I'm looking at the waitlist for my international flight tomorrow and it shows 0 "checked in" in J. And I'm sure that people have done OLCI at this point. There are also no names on the upgrade list yet.

escapefromphl Mar 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mnmme (Post 18207237)
I'm curious why you would? If you bought a last minute ticket you'd be Y/B/M and higher than RPU anyway?

International upgrades on a last minute ticket. Do YBM upgrades apply then?

uyflyer Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I should be able to confirm whether this is true shortly. But regardless, this is a *very bad* development. It means that by the time you go to the airport to have yours docs checked, you will be behind everyone else that has only the domestic leg!. So effectively, if your domestic portion of a SWU supported UG does not clear before T-24, then you are hosed.

In PMUA, even if you had to have your docs checked, you will be put in the UG list in the proper order. Yet another change that I don't like and may influence my travel patterns. More so if the same happens for the international portions, as being reported in another thread.

Alpha Golf Mar 15, 2012 2:13 pm

It used to work on PMCO. They transferred you from one list to another, in order. You didn't have to do anything.

greenpau Mar 15, 2012 3:01 pm

This happened to me a number of times on sCO, always with an international. I used to call the service center, only to hear the same thing. I found if I left my BP on the mobile app / OLCI, I didn't appear on the list. I found that if I reprinted my BP from a kiosk actually at the airport (or via an agent in the UC), I magically appeared and was usually top of the list. However, if you don't turn up early enough at the a/p, then they start allocating the seats from the existing list at the gate. It is annoying, and definitely something I'd like to see rectified.