FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

LarkSFO Nov 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by abefroman329 (Post 19700894)
Just intended it as a follow-up to the offer I received for my flight to ORD on Thurs. mods will move or delete as necessary.

Definitely glad you shared the information. Thanks.

Just trying to determine the best way to share information on fares / buy up offers among the FT community. Every data point is interesting...

sammyindc Nov 18, 2012 6:07 am

Flying IAD-SFO on Nov 30 on a 757 with RPU wait-listed. Being offered an upgrade to F for $1,588 as a 1k.... No thanks!

whistler814 Nov 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Just checked in for a GM friend.

Tomorrow's SLC-IAD on a saver award. Offered $109 to upgrade. Took it since she would've been charged for bags anyways.

LAXOGG Nov 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 19720096)
Just checked in for a GM friend.

Tomorrow's SLC-IAD on a saver award. Offered $109 to upgrade. Took it since she would've been charged for bags anyways.

Violating the no comment rules......this one makes sense. Presumably all elites have been upgraded at <t24 and still R9. Trying to squeak out a few more $'s and fill an empty seat in F.

LarkSFO Nov 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 19720394)
Violating the no comment rules......this one makes sense. Presumably all elites have been upgraded at <t24 and still R9. Trying to squeak out a few more $'s and fill an empty seat in F.

Further violating your violation of the no comment rule... :)

The non-stop 11/21 SLC-IAD:

Available Cabins: F9, A9, JN9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN9, I9, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N9, XN9, X9

MrWorldwide Nov 21, 2012 6:47 am

Post your TOD buy-up experiences here (no other discussion)

EWR-MCO 11/21 T-24 offer to upgrade for $109. I was surprised I got this offer, my ticket was a deeply discounted Y Fare. Last time I checked there was only one BF Flat Bed seat available. Flying alone so I decided to grab it. I'm sure it will be money well spent as I was expecting a rowdy cabin on that flight.

FlyWorld Nov 21, 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 19685117)
It's a textbook TOD if you're on a K fare and get the V-up pricing inside T-24...that's already bad.

This is much worse than that - it's a flat segment-based UG that should only be offered when the WL is clear, but the poster said there were 33 on it.

Would love to hear the official excuse on this one...fat chance though

For my own sanity, I've simply concluded that $mi$ek has wiped out the CPU program but lacks the integrity to tell us, because he still wants to use the marketing and sell it as a snake oil salesperson sells snake oil.

Now, I'm much calmer knowing that I'll never see F for free and not sweating it. Hence, my decision to drop 1K and cut spending dramatically. He thinks he's so smart? Now, I save money, travel less, and he gets less money.

Originally Posted by MrWorldwide (Post 19722919)
EWR-MCO 11/21 T-24 offer to upgrade for $109. I was surprised I got this offer, my ticket was a deeply discounted Y Fare. Last time I checked there was only one BF Flat Bed seat available. Flying alone so I decided to grab it. I'm sure it will be money well spent as I was expecting a rowdy cabin on that flight.

What is your status?

goteed1 Nov 21, 2012 7:44 am

SFO-GDL 11/21 T-18 offered to upgrade to business for $109. I declined. Already in E+ and 1 bag is free. It's a red eye, so it's all about sleeping not amenities. I would have taken it for less than $50 just to have a few less hassles at SFO on Thanksgiving Eve, but not worth it for $109.

17 seats in business still free at the moment and no one on standby

I have no status with UA

MrWorldwide Nov 21, 2012 7:59 am

GM. I will be Silver after this trip.

Just checked the UG list, 14 names.

aacharya Nov 21, 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by goteed1 (Post 19723135)
SFO-GDL 11/21 T-18 offered to upgrade to business for $109. I declined. Already in E+ and 1 bag is free. It's a red eye, so it's all about sleeping not amenities. I would have taken it for less than $50 just to have a few less hassles at SFO on Thanksgiving Eve, but not worth it for $109.

17 seats in business still free at the moment and no one on standby

I have no status with UA

So this isn't really a ToD, in the "definition" we've maintained here, which is as follows:

Discounted upgrades (less than the buy-up fare) offered to non-Elites and to Elites alike when there are more CPU-eligible Elites than F seats available. This excludes Elite M-up, B-up, and Y-up upgrades at normal pricing.

IAHMCI Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am

IAH-IAD-MUC on 11/22

Already upgraded with a GPU both flights to business. Offered GF for only $1879. Will see if the offer is better tomorrow at the airport, but doubt it will be good enough.

UA-NYC Nov 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19723575)
So this isn't really a ToD, in the "definition" we've maintained here, which is as follows:

Discounted upgrades (less than the buy-up fare) offered to non-Elites and to Elites alike when there are more CPU-eligible Elites than F seats available. This excludes Elite M-up, B-up, and Y-up upgrades at normal pricing.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 19720737)
Further violating your violation of the no comment rule... :)

The non-stop 11/21 SLC-IAD:

Available Cabins: F9, A9, JN9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN9, I9, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N9, XN9, X9

Yes, this is the one time of the year where there are empty F cabins, and UA is offering real segment-based upgrades based on the rules they're supposed to follow :D

boiflyer Nov 22, 2012 9:36 am

Redeye OGG-LAX tonight.
As a 2P, I got a freebie. One seat left on seat map and when I checked Mrs. Boiflyer in, she was offered F for $149. Even though last seat was 1F, we jumped on it. The website showed the $149 as special pricing with a grayed and strikeout $869 as the regular. Thanksgiving special I guess.

wendySFO Nov 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Was offered W fare to F upgrade on a SFO-HKG(-SIN) flight for $1939 during OLCI.

JBSF Nov 23, 2012 3:43 pm

for SFO-LAX-LHR-SFO on Monday after Tgiving & return on Fri (HEAVY travel days): I booked via LAX for better chance of GPU hitting - 8 seats avail in Biz outbound vs 2 from elite-heavy SFO.
Gold Status
K fares
SFO_LAX UFirst (doemstic) TOD $99. Declined
LAX-LHR BizFirst TOD $2199. Declined.
LHR-SFO GlobalFirst (2-class upg from E+) TOD $5999. Declined.

Look about the same as straight buy-up to these seats - I looked to check prices for straight-buy seats for each segment. NO DISCOUNTS offered.

Praying for GPU to hit on overnight outbound flight to hit, 4 seats left, not likely. E+ is wide open & for now have a ROW to myself. Return flight now showing ) biz seats, pretty much given up hope there.