FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

zcat18 Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 19384576)
So, at $350 round trip for W (out) and L(rtrn), and $500 R/T for V, this could be in line with the 'V up' pricing UA-NYC mentions...

Although I admit I am not familiar with V up pricing / fares that get you in to F...

I'm not familiar with that either, but it could very well be the answer here!

NYC1K Oct 1, 2012 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by svancleavemd (Post 19310418)
Flew EWR to ZRH on the 4th, and had redeemed a GPU for upgrade to C. Upon check in (24 hrs) was offered a buy up for $749. Since was working the ER on the 3rd, was no brainer to buy as only 1 seat left. Was then upgraded to F at the gate! Figured that this was my GPU. Nope--Two days later GPU put back in my account by UA! I have to complement UA for this. Even better, the UA crew coiuld not have been nicer. Felt like I was a guest at their house, not an airline pax!

What was your coach fare? W, V, or H?

38,000feet Oct 1, 2012 2:26 pm

DEN-ORD (777 intl config) this Sunday. Seat map shows the bulk of J open. No buy-ups or instruments on offer.

38,000feet Oct 1, 2012 3:14 pm

And now an EF notification that R has opened. A check on the website reveals R=9. Buy-ups are still unavailable, however.

UA-NYC Oct 2, 2012 8:11 pm

Tomorrow'sTOD

ORD-LGA, S fare: this AM, outside T-24, offer was for ~$350. Just now, inside T-24, getting an offer for $129.

S fare to cheapest F (V-up, 7 day advance purchase) is $199

"Urban Myth" my A$$.

LarkSFO Oct 2, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 19426865)
ORD-LGA, S fare: this AM, outside T-24, offer was for ~$350. Just now, inside T-24, getting an offer for $129.

S fare to cheapest F (V-up, 7 day advance purchase) is $199

"Urban Myth" my A$$.

I don't consider $129 a TOD...

Is this thread intended to highlight all fares where the buy up offered by UA does not make sense to you?

UA-NYC Oct 2, 2012 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 19427174)
I don't consider $129 a TOD...

Is this thread intended to highlight all fares where the buy up offered by UA does not make sense to you?

It makes sense to highlight all offers that do not jive with the supposed buy-up "rules" nor what's been posted by UA Insider...this qualifies IMO.

787fan Oct 2, 2012 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 19427187)
It makes sense to highlight all offers that do not jive with the supposed buy-up "rules" nor what's been posted by UA Insider...this qualifies IMO.

as long as the offer is given out equally to elites and non-elites, i'm fine with it

LarkSFO Oct 2, 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 19427187)

I do agree with you, this looks odd...

Perhaps one of the results of SHARES? (Remember, UA's Rainey said one of the reasons they selected SHARES was it's functionality to allow dynamic pricing of add ons... He mentioned E+, I think. So, why not F? Nobody bought at $350, X seats still available, let's see if we can sell them for $129?)

Where do you stand on the CPU list? How many elites on the list?

15cats Oct 2, 2012 10:06 pm

Was offered $79 upgrade on a recent ORD-ATL. Plane was an upgauge from a 735 to a 739 and had many J open.

UA-NYC Oct 3, 2012 5:25 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 19427219)
Where do you stand on the CPU list? How many elites on the list?

I was #4 out of 20 or so - but then R space popped open, so I used one of my Oct expiring RPUs (have had two LGA-ORD or vv flights fail in the past two weeks, so plenty of ones about to expire sitting around, thus me using them on 733 mile flights ;))

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 19427210)
as long as the offer is given out equally to elites and non-elites, i'm fine with it

And there's been plenty of documentation of non-elites getting cheaper offers than elites, so I have no confidence that's not the case with my flight

halls120 Oct 3, 2012 7:10 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 19427219)
Perhaps one of the results of SHARES? (Remember, UA's Rainey said one of the reasons they selected SHARES was it's functionality to allow dynamic pricing of add ons... He mentioned E+, I think. So, why not F? Nobody bought at $350, X seats still available, let's see if we can sell them for $129?)

If United wants to sell F and C seats in this fashion, as others have noted, as long as everyone else gets the same opportunity to accept the offer, fine.

Of course, this makes instruments we earn as frequent flyers less valuable, and makes the CPU a virtual joke. I'm going to have 2 GPUs expire next month - because I don't trust that they will be worth anything on the transcon I booked, I've already "bought up" to F on that flight.

Yes, I'm sure I'm behaving exactly like Rainey wants me to, but in the long run, this strategy undercuts brand loyalty. here's what I mean.

Just yesterday I got an offer from DL on some TATL flights - they are selling seats in C to LHR for $1000 less than currently available on UA using miles and co-pay. In the pre-merger era, I would always default to UA, because I wanted to keep 1K or 1P. Now, I'm actually considering the DL offer. It won't cost me miles, and it is vastly cheaper than the UA price. Yes, I will sacrifice UA miles and status attainment, but so what? What do I really lose by not qualifying as a 1K or Plat? As long as I maintain Gold on UA, AA and DL, I'll get decent benefits, and I will have a wider selection of flights to choose from.

It's going to be interesting to see just how far UA goes in devaluing its FF benefits.

LarkSFO Oct 3, 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 19428899)
If United wants to sell F and C seats in this fashion, as others have noted, as long as everyone else gets the same opportunity to accept the offer, fine.

Of course, this makes instruments we earn as frequent flyers less valuable, and makes the CPU a virtual joke. I'm going to have 2 GPUs expire next month - because I don't trust that they will be worth anything on the transcon I booked, I've already "bought up" to F on that flight.

Yes, I'm sure I'm behaving exactly like Rainey wants me to, but in the long run, this strategy undercuts brand loyalty. here's what I mean.

Just yesterday I got an offer from DL on some TATL flights - they are selling seats in C to LHR for $1000 less than currently available on UA using miles and co-pay. In the pre-merger era, I would always default to UA, because I wanted to keep 1K or 1P. Now, I'm actually considering the DL offer. It won't cost me miles, and it is vastly cheaper than the UA price. Yes, I will sacrifice UA miles and status attainment, but so what? What do I really lose by not qualifying as a 1K or Plat? As long as I maintain Gold on UA, AA and DL, I'll get decent benefits, and I will have a wider selection of flights to choose from.

It's going to be interesting to see just how far UA goes in devaluing its FF benefits.

Amen.

Often1 Oct 3, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 19428899)

Presuming that you are on employer-paid travel, I would find it extremely hard to justify the $1K price difference no matter the cost in status. I am a strong believer in giving employees substantial flex in how & what they fly, but at some point there is a reasonableness issue.

On the other hand, the day of the freebie UG is coming to an end. The same threads appear in varying forms for all four, soon to be three, legacy carriers. There is less competition & capacity at a time when there is greater demand.

But, domestic F does not really command the price differential commanded by intl. premium. So, chicken & egg. If a given carrier wants to up its premium product(s), it may be able to charge more. But, there are limits. For example, while TATL C/J may be $8K, that's not doable for TCON.

Bottom line though is that those who swear they're jumping ship over UG issues are kidding themselves. Price yes, but meaningful perks will all level out at the bottom of the barrel with 12-18 months.

svancleavemd Oct 3, 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by NYC1K (Post 19417890)
What was your coach fare? W, V, or H?

I was booked in W