Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
Booked XN on the website; called and waitlisted for IN on the same segment. Agent was adamant that she did not need to pull the additional 30k miles. I’ll get an email or phone call to reissue the ticket. That didn’t seem right...
There is a valid (but for UA';s point of view, a less desirable) case but requires the extra step and most agents require the miles up front.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:53 am

I booked Saver Economy for EWR-PVG in Sept (6 months from now) and called in to waitlist for Saver Business.

The agent tried and said the system would not let her, and said that some flights it is not available yet. She indicated I was probably calling too early. The capacity was 50 seats and none were occupied yet, so she suspected that the marketing dept wanted to sell rev fares first and would open up award seats closer, at which I can book Saver if available, or waitlist at that time.

Is that true? It is "too early" right now, or did I just not say the magic words to get her to manually make the waitlist happen?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by optostar
..Is that true? It is "too early" right now, ...
Not true, call again
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:38 am

Thanks, HUCA'd and got an agent who was able to put me on the waitlist. It took about 35 minutes of hold time to process.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks to this thread i called up to request a standby upgrade on a Business Saver AU-LAX-XXX-XXX itinerary where AU-LAX is confirmed I class and the domestic connectors are in main cabin (X).

The agent initially went away to see if I was eligible and came back to ask how I would like to pay for the upgrade. I explained I'd already 'paid' the biz saver level all the way through to my final destination and she said 'oh yes'. She went away for another 3 minutes and came back to say everything had been waitlisted! (This now shows in 'my trips' as two additional segments with 'waitlist' and a message saying I'll be accommodated in First (I) if a seat becomes available).

Total call time was about 10 minutes. ^ to a great agent.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The agent initially went away to see if I was eligible and came back to ask how I would like to pay for the upgrade.
This is why you should never use the word "upgrade" in this situation. . Next time, say that you want to "waitlist for a business class award." I'm glad the agent was able to figure it out, though; sometimes, once you say "upgrade," their mind is made up. ^
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm always mildly surprised at the problems reported here.. maybe it's because I'm 1K but I am something like 8-for-8 on asking for an "IN waitlist" or "waitlist for a different flight" (I have added an XN waitlist for better routings several times) and the agent knowing exactly what that was and how to do it.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is why you should never use the word "upgrade" in this situation. . Next time, say that you want to "waitlist for a business class award." I'm glad the agent was able to figure it out, though; sometimes, once you say "upgrade," their mind is made up. ^
Good advice!

I think it helped that I called at a very quiet time (instant call answering). Allowed the agent to confer with her colleagues/supervisor immediately and sort it out.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I wonder if the removal of award charts will get rid of the "saver" concept and in turn remove the whole waitlist approach?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I wonder if the removal of award charts will get rid of the "saver" concept and in turn remove the whole waitlist approach?
After November, this thread might as well be closed.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by 747FC
After November, this thread might as well be closed.
I've been wondering about this. Can you please elaborate your thinking on why that is so? (I mean, besides just being generally bummed about UA now and expecting the worst...which may indeed be a perfectly valid expectation, I'm not saying it ain't).

Do we know that this process (which I have used with some success a few times before) is being removed?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I've been wondering about this. Can you please elaborate your thinking on why that is so? (I mean, besides just being generally bummed about UA now and expecting the worst...which may indeed be a perfectly valid expectation, I'm not saying it ain't).

Do we know that this process (which I have used with some success a few times before) is being removed?
My thinking is that after 11/15, all awards will be dynamically priced. Therefore, there will be no saver awards for which to be waitlisted. If I''m correct in this analysis, saver awards are RIP.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
My thinking is that after 11/15, all awards will be dynamically priced. Therefore, there will be no saver awards for which to be waitlisted. If I''m correct in this analysis, saver awards are RIP.
I have been working under the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that there will still be something called "saver awards". Its just that the cost of those will no longer be fixed. That is, even with dynamic pricing, won't there still be multiple price levels for any given award - you will still have the option to pay 1X (if you can find one) or 2X or 3X or infintyX....it's just that "X" could be any crazy (large) number?

If you look at award prices beyond 11/15 today, there are still multiple "price levels" shown. I figure the first level (what United calls "saver" and what I call "the real price") will still be a so-called a "saver" level award. It'll just be a higher number. Of course, this is largely semantics, but not entirely - for the purpose of wait-listing like this, it makes a real difference. I've seen nothing to suggest that the multiple-level pricing of awards is going away, just that prices will become slippery.

If you look at Delta reward levels there are definitely still "tiers" or whatever you want to call the levels (maybe "tears" would be more accurate?). Although they only display one price...hmmm.

Maybe it boils down to how they design the web user interface (now that's a scary thought...).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I have been working under the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that there will still be something called "saver awards". Its just that the cost of those will no longer be fixed.
If the cost isn't fixed, how can you waitlist for it?

What are they supposed to deduct if it "clears"?

I would expect that they might retain the concept on mixed class awards, to whatever extent those can still be purchased. But I honestly don't know what it would mean to waitlist for I when there's no award chart.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If the cost isn't fixed, how can you waitlist for it?

What are they supposed to deduct if it "clears"?

I would expect that they might retain the concept on mixed class awards, to whatever extent those can still be purchased. But I honestly don't know what it would mean to waitlist for I when there's no award chart.
Chart, schmart.

Today, this works because you pay the price up front (in miles) for the full trip, in Business, even though you aren't guaranteed a seat in Business on every leg -- right? So I would assume that they would use the same pricing scheme for the whole route then - you pay (in miles) for what would it cost you (in miles) all the way through (however they determine that). If your wait-listed seat in Business clears, great, that's what you paid for, no complications. If your seat doesn't clear, then you would get a refund of (miles) based on the difference between what you paid (for all legs) minus what it would have cost you for the mixed-class award at the time you booked it -- same as it works now (without the mystery). The trick, obviously, is what that "refund" would be, but despite all the obfuscation of prices, there's definitely a price they will apply to it in either case (even if they hide that price from you). Or, as they might blithely say, "your refund is whatever we tell you it is". Yeah, not the way I'd like the world to run, but they haven't offered me the CEO position yet... Maybe they could share that detail with you after you book with the wait-list option.

Bottom line: all the things that United is selling you have a price. That's not changing. Exactly when you find out what that price is, that's what's changing. I'm just saying, the hiding of the ball that they're going to do may not necessarily mean this "wait-list" option will disappear. It might. But I haven't seen anything that specifically says that, and from what I have seen, it could survive. Perhaps I'm just not being realistic or being too literal in my reading of the changes, or just not cynical enough (not something I've been called very often).

Maybe I'm just suffering "Stockholm Syndrome." But if I'm going to Stockholm, that's a long flight, and I'd like it to be on Star Alliance Partner SAS, up front, please, and I'll wait-list for the domestic leg, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.