Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
The waitlist may be ordered by status but those on the awards waitlist are higher priority than people on a regular CPU list. There may be 30 people on the CPU list but awards waitlist will be priority over them all. Except for Global Service, i believe.
Ah. Well, that's a separate list. But, yes, once they're combined at the gate, passengers on a waitlisted award should be ahead of non-GS passengers looking for a complimentary upgrade.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IME it's dicey because while that's true, advance CPUs frequently clear without the I class waitlist running.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
The waitlist may be ordered by status but those on the awards waitlist are higher priority than people on a regular CPU list. There may be 30 people on the CPU list but awards waitlist will be priority over them all. Except for Global Service, i believe.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Ah. Well, that's a separate list. But, yes, once they're combined at the gate, passengers on a waitlisted award should be ahead of non-GS passengers looking for a complimentary upgrade.
This is good news. I booked a economy saver UA flight from Tokyo to Newark (777-300ER Polaris) at end of November. There are 60 business seats available and 43 are open according to ExpertFlyer. I am the #1 person on the waitlist for using milage upgrade. I should pretty confident right?

Last edited by mm_sriracha; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mm_sriracha
This is good news. I booked a economy saver UA flight from Tokyo to Newark (777-300ER Polaris) at end of November. There are 60 business seats available and 43 are open according to ExpertFlyer. I am the #1 person on the waitlist for using milage upgrade. I should pretty confident right?
1 - Seat maps aren't always accurate
2 - Why do you think you're #1 on the list? (agents aren't always forthcoming with that information, even if they know)
3 - TPAC upgrades tend to be very day-of-week and seasonal dependent. If "end of November" overlaps U.S. Thanksgiving, that will help you out; there's less paid business travel around holidays.
4 - Much paid business class travel is purchased within 2-3 weeks of departure.
5 - if this is a mileage upgrade from a cash fare, you're actually in the wrong thread (although the process is pretty similar).
6 - The quotes about the CPU list aren't meaningful because there are no CPUs on EWR-NRT.
7 - Do you have UA status?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
First time attempting to waitlist an award and want to get this right.

2 pax, both 1K, want HUB1-HUB2-YYY, where HUB2-YYY is a long-haul with R5 IN1 and XN available. XN0 on HUB1-HUB2 nonstops all day, but I expect it to open closer to departure. XN is available HUB1-AAA-HUB2, so I could book today. Several questions:
  1. Can I book 2 pax on 1 PNR and take the confirmed IN1 space, or will I have to waitlist both and take my chances? Should a waitlist request for 2 pax clear at least one of them immediately with IN1?
  2. Can I waitlist for XN on the HUB1-HUB2 nonstops at booking?
  3. Should I call and attempt to book and waitlist what I want or book both pax in the roundabout HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY online and then call for the waitlist?
  4. And, I guess, after evaluating all of the above, book one PNR or two?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by symphonicman
First time attempting to waitlist an award and want to get this right.

2 pax, both 1K, want HUB1-HUB2-YYY, where HUB2-YYY is a long-haul with R5 IN1 and XN available. XN0 on HUB1-HUB2 nonstops all day, but I expect it to open closer to departure. XN is available HUB1-AAA-HUB2, so I could book today. Several questions:
  1. Can I book 2 pax on 1 PNR and take the confirmed IN1 space, or will I have to waitlist both and take my chances? Should a waitlist request for 2 pax clear at least one of them immediately with IN1?
  2. Can I waitlist for XN on the HUB1-HUB2 nonstops at booking?
  3. Should I call and attempt to book and waitlist what I want or book both pax in the roundabout HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY online and then call for the waitlist?
  4. And, I guess, after evaluating all of the above, book one PNR or two?
1 - No; if you have a single PNR with two passengers, and it's IN1, neither will clear.
2 - Are you even sure you can book it? Does HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY come up as a result on your search? I doubt you could have two separate waitlist requests on the same reservation, but you could ask about it. As a 1K, you can monitor for availability and make changes as necessary, so even if the agent says no, it's not the end of the world.
3 - If you can book HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY, I'd do so, and then call; it'll be easier for the agent to see what you're trying to do that way.
4 - It depends upon whether or not you're willing to be split up. If yes, book 2, so that one longhaul will clear immediately and you'll have the best odds on the other one. If no, book one PNR and cross your fingers.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:25 am

2 - Are you even sure you can book it? Does HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY come up as a result on your search? I doubt you could have two separate waitlist requests on the same reservation, but you could ask about it. As a 1K, you can monitor for availability and make changes as necessary, so even if the agent says no, it's not the end of the world.
Thanks for the info! Yes, HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY actually comes up for several values of AAA. (The long-haul is a redeye, so the routing algorithm has all day to get us to HUB2.)

If I understand this correctly, I may not be able to waitlist both HUB2-YYY in IN and HUB1-HUB2 XN or IN? On your point about free changes, can I make changes to one segment of an award without affecting another segment, or does the system (even for agents) force availability across the entire itinerary? That is, if HUB1-HUB2 XN opens up later, after HUB2-YYY has confirmed in IN, do I need positive IN again and without it we're back on the waitlist?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info! Yes, HUB1-AAA-HUB2-YYY actually comes up for several values of AAA. (The long-haul is a redeye, so the routing algorithm has all day to get us to HUB2.)
^ Just making sure.

If I understand this correctly, I may not be able to waitlist both HUB2-YYY in IN and HUB1-HUB2 XN or IN?
You're looking at the confluence of two rules here:

• Ticketed customers may waitlist for travel in a premium cabin for an alternate flight. Reservations where all segments are waitlisted without any confirmed segments are not permitted.
    • Connecting flights: Customers may waitlist on only one leg of the connecting flights and the flight must meet the required minimum connecting time.
    • Nonstop flights: Customers can waitlist on only one flight per direction. Alternate dates and times are allowed.
  • You may use miles for travel in United Polaris® first class, United First®, United Business® or United Polaris business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
So, the second rule should allow you to waitlist for IN on all legs where you have XN confirmed. The first rule should allow you to waitlist for IN on HUB1-HUB2. I don't know that you can do both at the same time; I don't know that you can't, either, so I'd probably call and ask. FWIW, there's no rule permitting waitlist for XN -- the alternate flights rule specifically mentions premium cabin. Whether or not you could do it in practice -- my guess is that some agents would allow it, if you preferred to wait for XN rather than IN on the domestic flight.

On your point about free changes, can I make changes to one segment of an award without affecting another segment, or does the system (even for agents) force availability across the entire itinerary? That is, if HUB1-HUB2 XN opens up later, after HUB2-YYY has confirmed in IN, do I need positive IN again and without it we're back on the waitlist?
You will likely need to revalidate inventory for any partner segments on your award. For UA flights, there shouldn't be an issue. All of the flights you've described are UA-operated, but if you have partner segments that you haven't mentioned, that's something to keep in mind.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:56 am

So, the second rule should allow you to waitlist for IN on all legs where you have XN confirmed. The first rule should allow you to waitlist for IN on HUB1-HUB2. I don't know that you can do both at the same time; I don't know that you can't, either, so I'd probably call and ask. FWIW, there's no rule permitting waitlist for XN -- the alternate flights rule specifically mentions premium cabin. Whether or not you could do it in practice -- my guess is that some agents would allow it, if you preferred to wait for XN rather than IN on the domestic flight.

You will likely need to revalidate inventory for any partner segments on your award. For UA flights, there shouldn't be an issue. All of the flights you've described are UA-operated, but if you have partner segments that you haven't mentioned, that's something to keep in mind.
Got it, thank you for walking me through all that. Everything is UA metal, so there's no problem there. It sounds like I shouldn't worry much about IN waitlist for domestic space, and just grab any HUB1-HUB2 XN later by change should it open up, since XN waitlist may not be a thing. But I will ask and report back.

I'm not seeing any domestic IN on my date of travel. If I understand Rule 1 correctly, I should be able to waitlist IN on a different routing when I have I confirmed IN on an existing routing, but that's not the situation at booking—I am hard pressed here for domestic XN space, let alone IN, on the date of travel.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I am 100% for agents being willing to add waitlisted XN segments, but this may be harder to get someone to do with other waitlisted IN segments on the PNR at the same time. If it's valuable, it's worth asking for.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it, thank you for walking me through all that. Everything is UA metal, so there's no problem there. It sounds like I shouldn't worry much about IN waitlist for domestic space, and just grab any HUB1-HUB2 XN later by change should it open up, since XN waitlist may not be a thing. But I will ask and report back.
I'm not seeing any domestic IN on my date of travel. If I understand Rule 1 correctly, I should be able to waitlist IN on a different routing when I have I confirmed IN on an existing routing, but that's not the situation at booking—I am hard pressed here for domestic XN space, let alone IN, on the date of travel.
^ Domestic IN space is rare, and IN space on a hub-to-hub flight especially so. If you're able to find XN space on that flight, it would then easily be within the rules to add an IN waitlist. It probably wouldn't clear before the gate, if at all, but at least you'd be on the list.

If your IN space confirms on the longhaul flight, I'd expect that you could use rule 1 to waitlist for IN on the hub-hub. How useful that is, if you're not confirmed in XN already, I can't say -- unless your hub-hub departs before your hub-AAA-hub flight, I don't see how it helps unless it clears in advance, which isn't that likely.

Originally Posted by findark
I am 100% for agents being willing to add waitlisted XN segments, but this may be harder to get someone to do with other waitlisted IN segments on the PNR at the same time. If it's valuable, it's worth asking for.
I agree. The worst that can happen is that they say no. And, I also agree that the mixture of IN and XN waitlists is the most likely sticking point, if there is one.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:28 pm

1 - Seat maps aren't always accurate
2 - Why do you think you're #1 on the list? (agents aren't always forthcoming with that information, even if they know)
3 - TPAC upgrades tend to be very day-of-week and seasonal dependent. If "end of November" overlaps U.S. Thanksgiving, that will help you out; there's less paid business travel around holidays.
4 - Much paid business class travel is purchased within 2-3 weeks of departure.
5 - if this is a mileage upgrade from a cash fare, you're actually in the wrong thread (although the process is pretty similar).
6 - The quotes about the CPU list aren't meaningful because there are no CPUs on EWR-NRT.
7 - Do you have UA status?
2. When the agent was helping me, i asked how many people are infront of me on the waitlist. She told me there was only 1 person, and thats probably me cause she just put in the order. Maybe she was wrong?
3. The flight is the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend (so thats good news)
5. Booked economy with 35k miles, then waitlisted with 35k more miles on hold.
6. Im doing NRT-EWR, idk if that makes a difference
7. No status at all
Guess ill just need to cross my fingers and hope for the best!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. When the agent was helping me, i asked how many people are infront of me on the waitlist. She told me there was only 1 person, and thats probably me cause she just put in the order. Maybe she was wrong?
She may have been correct; she may have been making something up. There's no real way to know.

3. The flight is the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend (so thats good news)
Sunday flights are tough upgrades, but that particular Sunday should be easier than most.

5. Booked economy with 35k miles, then waitlisted with 35k more miles on hold.
OK, then you are in the right thread. Unfortunately, there's a big gotcha -- you're waiting for inventory in the I bucket. Upgrades from cash tickets are processed from the R bucket, and R opens first before I does. So, in effect, you're likely to be behind everyone who wants to sit up front.

6. Im doing NRT-EWR, idk if that makes a difference
7. No status at all
Guess ill just need to cross my fingers and hope for the best!
Sunday TPACs are difficult in both directions, but in this case I'd think you're better off NRT-EWR than vice versa because there will be fewer UA business travelers heading to the US than heading to Asia.

You should activate expert mode and then search for the flight inventory every now and then. Right now it's J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z6 ZN6 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0. The closer the non-zero values get to "I," the better your chances look. If you see I>0, and your award is still waitlisted, you should call UA and ask if they'll push it through.

Good luck!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:36 pm

Success! Waitlist worked for IN from IAD-CDG

Just wanted to thank you all and let you know that I was able to successfully waitlist my travel companion for an IN fare. She was first on the online waitlist and cleared into IN once the upgrades to first started clearing, shortly before boarding.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Rosehill28
Just wanted to thank you all and let you know that I was able to successfully waitlist my travel companion for an IN fare. She was first on the online waitlist and cleared into IN once the upgrades to first started clearing, shortly before boarding.
For a data point...what is your status? her status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.