Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I got quoted in the Houston Chronicle on UA's shrinking mileage tables

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:35 am
Original Poster

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...ed-3404435.php

The reporter and I spent a half hour on the phone yesterday and I emailed her some of my recent CO trips vs what the mileage would be now after the UA merger. I also gave her the link to Flyertalk! Maybe she will become a member! ^
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hope they run an immediate follow up saying consumer action motivated the company to go back on this half-a$$ed plan!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank goodness they reported on the story after the problem was already identified and addressed.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Thank goodness they reported on the story after the problem was already identified and addressed.
FTA:

Because the carrier was still flying separate United and Continental flights before that switch-over, as well as maintaining separate frequent-flier programs, it also was still using separate mileage tables. Now, instead of the recalculated table it had produced for the fused loyalty program, the airline says it will use United's pre-merger table, meaning former Continental frequent fliers will notice changed mileages on some routes.
The article has reported the resolution.

I think the better thing to have done here would be to start with the sUA table, and where there were discrepancies between the sUA and sCO table, go to a real map to determine the real flight distance, runway to runway.

Of course the best thing would have been to give us the maximum of:
- real distance
- sUA distance
- sCO distance

but in a merger that seems to default to the least common denominator approach, that would be a fantasy.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
i had no idea they decided to go back to PMUA. woo hoo!!!! that's great news. good job FT!!!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travel.flier
i had no idea they decided to go back to PMUA. woo hoo!!!! that's great news. good job FT!!!
Now if we could only get them to go back to the PMUA computer system life would be good.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Now if we could only get them to go back to the PMUA computer system life would be good.
LOL, you are going to burn in a certain place underground for that heretical statement!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
LOL, you are going to burn in a certain place underground for that heretical statement!
Earlier this week the sUA GA at SNA summed it up perfectly. "We had been using MACs, now we're using Amigas". This was after she watched the sCO GA spend over 10 minutes typing in order to add a passenger wanting to move to our flight from a later flight.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by travel.flier
And the PMUA Million Miler program/benes as well
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by goalie
And the PMUA Million Miler program/benes as well
How about going back and 'unmerge'? Go back to Continental by itself...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by mre5765
FTA: but in a merger that seems to default to the least common denominator approach, that would be a fantasy.
In this merger I think the default(s) are:

1. Which option benefits the Customer least?

and

2. From which previously "bundled" service can they now extract revenue?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by TXbizman
How about going back and 'unmerge'? Go back to Continental by itself...
Even as a long time UA 1K, I would love to go back to the CO of, say, ten years ago. Sadly, it is not going to happen...all we will receive will be what the J.D.s and bean counters say we deserve...read: a lot less than you used to receive, and "you will like it"...but we will be enriching their pockets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.