Upgrade Question - "Waitlist Only"

Old Mar 11, 12, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Presidential Club.
Upgrade Question - "Waitlist Only"

Hey guys,

Pretty sure about the answer to this, just wanted to make sure as I haven't seen it stated explicitly.

When I see the below screen:

Does this mean that the dollar cost and mileage subtraction ONLY takes place if I clear the waitlist, or am I charged the respective amounts regardless (e.g. paying just to get on the waitlist)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:43 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
You pay to get on the waitlist. Sometime after the flight if you don't clear you should get it all back.
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Presidential Club.
Nice - that was my expectation. Thank you!
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Last time I used this option (pre 3/3) they billed my credit card at check in (cleared upgrade)... My guess is this policy carried over. However, The mileage was deducted when I wait listed.
Old Mar 12, 12, 4:48 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL working my way up, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Ugleeual View Post
Last time I used this option (pre 3/3) they billed my credit card at check in (cleared upgrade)... My guess is this policy carried over. However, The mileage was deducted when I wait listed.
No, it didn't carry over. The website now states clearly that you pay as soon as you go on the waitlist. They want to earn interest on your money for as long as possible.
Old Mar 12, 12, 4:57 am

Programs: United 1K
Wow that is a lot of miles and co-pay, but I guess it's worth it for the westbound, 11 hours on a plane is long time.
Old Mar 12, 12, 12:55 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
No, it didn't carry over. The website now states clearly that you pay as soon as you go on the waitlist. They want to earn interest on your money for as long as possible.
Been thinking about that line.

Came to the conclusion it's less about earning, and more about borrowing from you at 0% then borrowing on the open market at X%. I'd guess X is not small given the history of airlines.
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Another change where the PMCO policy trumps the PMUA policy. Mr. Smisek apparently looks everwhere for places where he can earn $$.
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Discussed extensively in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-lhr-swus.html

It is all about moving the processing of these fees from outstations to the website / call centres. The interest earned on these transactions is negligible.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:04 pm

Interestingly, I just did this on two different PNRs.
On mine (1K), miles were deducted immediately but the payment wasn't.
On the other one (Silver), miles and payment were taken immediately.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Another change where the PMCO policy trumps the PMUA policy. Mr. Smisek apparently looks everwhere for places where he can earn $$.
I agree with you, but is there not a pretty good chance that UA adopted this policy because it's the only one the software can handle?

We're all screaming about changes "we DON"T like" but I wonder how many of those changes were restrictions of the software.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Where on the waitlist does one get placed when 'paying' with miles for an upgrade. Does this trump the general status rules? Is it a different waitlist to the one you see at the gate?
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ElliottMB View Post
Where on the waitlist does one get placed when 'paying' with miles for an upgrade. Does this trump the general status rules? Is it a different waitlist to the one you see at the gate?
Where both status-based and instrument-based upgrades are possible the instrument-based ones take priority. Within the category of instruments (including miles, RPUs and GPUs) status still matters. And these priorities should be reflected in the list at the gate.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Where both status-based and instrument-based upgrades are possible the instrument-based ones take priority. Within the category of instruments (including miles, RPUs and GPUs) status still matters. And these priorities should be reflected in the list at the gate.
Ahh that makes sense. I finally understand what an 'instrument' is! So for example, if I had the only instrument upgrade, I would take priority over a status-based waitlist upgrade. However, if a 1K member requested an instrument upgrade over me (a silver member), they would take priority.

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Is there a ranking of instruments as well? I am currently waitlisted using a CR1 (W fare) - in that case, will I be trumped on the waitlist by other 1Ks using miles to upgrade, for example?

Search this Thread