FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Upgrade Question - "Waitlist Only" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1323839-upgrade-question-waitlist-only.html)

Supratik Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Upgrade Question - "Waitlist Only"

Hey guys,

Pretty sure about the answer to this, just wanted to make sure as I haven't seen it stated explicitly.

When I see the below screen:

http://i.imgur.com/QhBSU.png

Does this mean that the dollar cost and mileage subtraction ONLY takes place if I clear the waitlist, or am I charged the respective amounts regardless (e.g. paying just to get on the waitlist)?

Thanks!

bentruler Mar 11, 2012 8:43 pm

You pay to get on the waitlist. Sometime after the flight if you don't clear you should get it all back.

Supratik Mar 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Nice - that was my expectation. Thank you!

Ugleeual Mar 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Last time I used this option (pre 3/3) they billed my credit card at check in (cleared upgrade)... My guess is this policy carried over. However, The mileage was deducted when I wait listed.

1P Mar 12, 2012 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Ugleeual (Post 18181753)
Last time I used this option (pre 3/3) they billed my credit card at check in (cleared upgrade)... My guess is this policy carried over. However, The mileage was deducted when I wait listed.

No, it didn't carry over. The website now states clearly that you pay as soon as you go on the waitlist. They want to earn interest on your money for as long as possible.

love_to_travel Mar 12, 2012 3:57 am

Wow that is a lot of miles and co-pay, but I guess it's worth it for the westbound, 11 hours on a plane is long time.

bentruler Mar 12, 2012 11:55 am

Originally Posted by 1P (Post 18182700)
No, it didn't carry over. The website now states clearly that you pay as soon as you go on the waitlist. They want to earn interest on your money for as long as possible.

Been thinking about that line.

Came to the conclusion it's less about earning, and more about borrowing from you at 0% then borrowing on the open market at X%. I'd guess X is not small given the history of airlines.

halls120 Mar 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by 1P (Post 18182700)

Another change where the PMCO policy trumps the PMUA policy. Mr. Smisek apparently looks everwhere for places where he can earn $$.

star_world Mar 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Discussed extensively in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-lhr-swus.html

It is all about moving the processing of these fees from outstations to the website / call centres. The interest earned on these transactions is negligible.

JohnnieZ Mar 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Interestingly, I just did this on two different PNRs.
On mine (1K), miles were deducted immediately but the payment wasn't.
On the other one (Silver), miles and payment were taken immediately.

mnmme Mar 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 18185452)
Another change where the PMCO policy trumps the PMUA policy. Mr. Smisek apparently looks everwhere for places where he can earn $$.

I agree with you, but is there not a pretty good chance that UA adopted this policy because it's the only one the software can handle?

We're all screaming about changes "we DON"T like" but I wonder how many of those changes were restrictions of the software.

ElliottMB Mar 13, 2012 8:08 am

Where on the waitlist does one get placed when 'paying' with miles for an upgrade. Does this trump the general status rules? Is it a different waitlist to the one you see at the gate?

sbm12 Mar 13, 2012 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ElliottMB (Post 18190864)
Where on the waitlist does one get placed when 'paying' with miles for an upgrade. Does this trump the general status rules? Is it a different waitlist to the one you see at the gate?

Where both status-based and instrument-based upgrades are possible the instrument-based ones take priority. Within the category of instruments (including miles, RPUs and GPUs) status still matters. And these priorities should be reflected in the list at the gate.

ElliottMB Mar 13, 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18190892)
Where both status-based and instrument-based upgrades are possible the instrument-based ones take priority. Within the category of instruments (including miles, RPUs and GPUs) status still matters. And these priorities should be reflected in the list at the gate.

Ahh that makes sense. I finally understand what an 'instrument' is! So for example, if I had the only instrument upgrade, I would take priority over a status-based waitlist upgrade. However, if a 1K member requested an instrument upgrade over me (a silver member), they would take priority.

Thanks so much.

Quasiconvexity Mar 13, 2012 10:27 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18190892)

Is there a ranking of instruments as well? I am currently waitlisted using a CR1 (W fare) - in that case, will I be trumped on the waitlist by other 1Ks using miles to upgrade, for example?