Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flights wide open but no SWU/miles upgrades available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold

I'm trying to purchase a W or higher fare from IAH to ATH & use my 1K SWU (for first time bc I was always a COP). I depart AUG 31st and return Sept 9th, 2012. I refuse to go through Toronto and would prefer to be on a 777-200ER/400ER because I prefer the flat seats (And I had my first experience with UA Biz last year and no thank you).

I spent hours on the website and called the 1k line, (was told the hold time would be over 30 min, but 1 minute later a woman answered the phone). I asked her to look for the flights out of IAH direct to MUC or FRA (since website only offers 2 & 3 layover options). She had flights available and the BF is wide open, but all she can do is wait list me. Although she was not rude, she was not friendly and sounded worn out, so I didn't want to ask her too many questions or take up much of her time since I don't want to buy unless I can upgrade. And every time I did have a question, she said she had no idea or no way of knowing.

My question: Do I book on the flights I want to be on now, paying much higher than a normal coach ticket and risk being stuck in coach? (Although my confidence of being upgraded is zero after reading these boards. Any experience that it will help that I'm the first wait listed this far in advance? Even at 1K, doesn't that mean I go down on the list when a GS person books months later but joins the wait list? Another reason why I want to purchase only if I can apply the SWU at that time). Also, I saw a post saying that UA is breaking their partnership with LUF. IF that's true, then I feel I need to purchase this now since all connecting flight options in Europe are on LUF.

The tickets are so expensive right now, I'm not concerned about them going up (my experience is that they only go down when booking this far in advance). And if I wait, can't I just pay up a fare and that could put me above anyone wait listed for the seat?

If I do purchase and wait list, but another route opens up (either EWR, IAD or ORD), can I call and change the ticket or would it be completely different since I'm changing the layover. I've read all the fare rules on the V or H flights I've considered, but I can't see how much it will cost to change the ticket. I'm trying to avoid calling the airline since I've read on here how awful it is, and my trip isn't for another 6 months, so it isn't urgent. I've never had any issue booking in BF with CO before this far in advance, but none of the flights in the future have upgradable seats, (and agent said she had no idea of when the would open them up).

I am a newbie so please forgive my naivety. I did join ExpertFlyer (referred from these boards) to try to learn more, and explore flights and spent HOURS researching this. I'm finally asking for help
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Babymule
I'm trying to purchase a W or higher fare from IAH to ATH & use my 1K SWU (for first time bc I was always a COP). I depart AUG 31st and return Sept 9th, 2012. I refuse to go through Toronto and would prefer to be on a 777-200ER/400ER because I prefer the flat seats (And I had my first experience with UA Biz last year and no thank you).
1) You can't use SWUs on AC flights.

2) The 767-400ER will not all have flat seats in August/Sept (perhaps half of the fleet).

3) Which UA C product did you fly, the old barber chair or the new flat IPTE?

I spent hours on the website and called the 1k line, (was told the hold time would be over 30 min, but 1 minute later a woman answered the phone). I asked her to look for the flights out of IAH direct to MUC or FRA (since website only offers 2 & 3 layover options). She had flights available and the BF is wide open, but all she can do is wait list me. Although she was not rude, she was not friendly and sounded worn out, so I didn't want to ask her too many questions or take up much of her time since I don't want to buy unless I can upgrade. And every time I did have a question, she said she had no idea or no way of knowing.
4) The direct flight IAH-(EWR)-MUC is a B762 for the TATL segment, none of which are receiving flat seats. IAH-LHR-ATH (LHR-ATH on Aegean, a *A partner) would be another route for the sCO 777 with flat BF.

5) BF being wide open has nothing to do with guaranteed upgrade availability.

6) You're booking very far out, before BF fares are typically purchased, so UA is holding the space for premium revenue passengers rather than upgraders.

My question: Do I book on the flights I want to be on now, paying much higher than a normal coach ticket and risk being stuck in coach? (Although my confidence of being upgraded is zero after reading these boards. Any experience that it will help that I'm the first wait listed this far in advance? Even at 1K, doesn't that mean I go down on the list when a GS person books months later but joins the wait list? Another reason why I want to purchase only if I can apply the SWU at that time). Also, I saw a post saying that UA is breaking their partnership with LUF. IF that's true, then I feel I need to purchase this now since all connecting flight options in Europe are on LUF.
7) What's more important to you, the flights you want or traveling in BF? I've had trips where I've gone both ways: sometimes I really need the flights and an upgrade would be nice, other times I'll adjust my schedule to only book flights with confirmable upgrades.

8) Booking time is the tiebreaker after sponsor's status and fare class. So you'd be after a GS on a W booking later, a 1K on a M booking later, or a low or non-status member sponsored by a GS/1K (SWUs or miles) on higher fare class booking later.

9) LUF is a nonstandard abbreiation, but I assume you mean Lufthansa (LH/DLH). I've seen no indication the partnership will be ending, and doing so would take quite some time due to the level of integration they have including TATL anti-trust immunity.

The tickets are so expensive right now, I'm not concerned about them going up (my experience is that they only go down when booking this far in advance). And if I wait, can't I just pay up a fare and that could put me above anyone wait listed for the seat?
10) Yes, it's unlikely that W fares will go up much or become unavailable forcing you into V for quite a while.

11) You can book any higher fare basis you'd like to improve, but not guarantee, your chances for a space available upgrade. Waitlisted upgraders will clear* before UA will display upgrade space as being available, so people may be clearing upgrades despite the flight appearing to be at R/RN 0 for months.

* United uses the sCO sweep based system for clearing waitlisted upgrades. Determined upgraders who check for upgrade availability frequently (manually or through a service like ExpertFlyer) can spot open space and call to be upgraded before the sweep occurs and jump the waitlist.

If I do purchase and wait list, but another route opens up (either EWR, IAD or ORD), can I call and change the ticket or would it be completely different since I'm changing the layover. I've read all the fare rules on the V or H flights I've considered, but I can't see how much it will cost to change the ticket. I'm trying to avoid calling the airline since I've read on here how awful it is, and my trip isn't for another 6 months, so it isn't urgent. I've never had any issue booking in BF with CO before this far in advance, but none of the flights in the future have upgradable seats, (and agent said she had no idea of when the would open them up).
12) Change fees on TATL W fares are typically $150-250 plus any applicable fare difference (which will probably be $0).

13) The agent was correct, she has no idea. IM may know (or have a forecast), but they're not sharing it with anyone.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
3) Which UA C product did you fly, the old barber chair or the new flat IPTE?
I flew the old Barber seat type. The issue wasn't so much the seat as the "politeness" of the flight attendant. So, I'd prefer to fly out of IAH if possible.

It is MUCH MUCH more important to me to be in BF than routing. I'm fine doing 2 layover to ensure a BF seat. I saw the IAH - LHR flight but it had two additional connections in Europe to get to Greece. Maybe an agent would help me with finding just one leg to ATH. I'd love the LHR flight though.

Using Expert Flyer, I see that there are 2 ON seats ORD-MUC. If I call the airline, would I be able to book in there now?

You sound very seasoned... would you book now and waitlist? Like on the LHR flight? Or would you wait until we get closer to the date?
Also, should I be looking for ON, IN or RN or does it matter?
Thanks for your help! You have given me so much greater understanding!

Last edited by Babymule; Mar 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: ua 1k
Originally Posted by mduell
1)

8) Booking time is the tiebreaker after sponsor's status and fare class. So you'd be after a GS on a W booking later, a 1K on a M booking later, or a low or non-status member sponsored by a GS/1K (SWUs or miles) on higher fare class booking later.

is this true? I always thought that your priority depends on your status, and not of the one sponsoring?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjuabayflyer
is this true? I always thought that your priority depends on your status, and not of the one sponsoring?
Yes, it's true. If a 1K person sponsors a non-traveler, the 1K person's status is attached to the instrument not the person flying.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: ua 1k
Yes, it's true. If a 1K person sponsors a non-traveler, the 1K person's status is attached to the instrument not the person flying.
oh, good to know! thanks! was that true for pre merger united as well?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

From reading these boards, it was not the case preUnited, but it was always the case on Continental. One board claimed it was a software bug that Continental never bothered to fix. I can't comment if that is true. I like the fact that my Platinum status attached to the tickets I gave my mom so she could board first and get a comfortable seat. ^
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I flew the old Barber seat type. The issue wasn't so much the seat as the "politeness" of the flight attendant. So, I'd prefer to fly out of IAH if possible.
I've flown long haul in and out of most hubs in the combined United system and I haven't noticed a differentiation in terms of crew politeness/professionalism/service. I've had good and bad crews from both sides. The only stand-out has been HKG based crews with consistently good crews.

It is MUCH MUCH more important to me to be in BF than routing. I'm fine doing 2 layover to ensure a BF seat. I saw the IAH - LHR flight but it had two additional connections in Europe to get to Greece. Maybe an agent would help me with finding just one leg to ATH. I'd love the LHR flight though.
Something strange with the Aegean flight, I can't get it to come up with the UA flight on a single ticket despite the fare rules saying it's OK:
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 2/AREA 3
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY A3 FLIGHT OPERATED BY A3

An agent should be able to build the itin, possibly with help from the rate desk, unless there's some fare rule I'm missing. If they can't be booked together you could book separate tickets although then the airlines may be less helpful in the case of IRROPS.

Using Expert Flyer, I see that there are 2 ON seats ORD-MUC. If I call the airline, would I be able to book in there now?
ON is for upgrading from C to F, not Y to C. But yes, when you see space you can book (online or over the phone), wait for ticketing (1 minute to many hours), and upgrade (online or over the phone) instantly.

You sound very seasoned... would you book now and waitlist? Like on the LHR flight? Or would you wait until we get closer to the date?
I'm not a big fan of waitlisting since you're not married to a particular flight; I only waitlist when I have to be on a certain flight due to schedule or fare constraints. Since you have time and flexibility I'd say wait and keep looking for a good option:
- Set up EF alerts for R/RN space on your preferred routings.
- Occasionally (perhaps weekly) check for other less ideal options.

Also, should I be looking for ON, IN or RN or does it matter?
You should be looking for R and RN only. ON is C to F, and IN is a C award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.