FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flights wide open but no SWU/miles upgrades available
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:03 pm
mduell
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Babymule
I flew the old Barber seat type. The issue wasn't so much the seat as the "politeness" of the flight attendant. So, I'd prefer to fly out of IAH if possible.
I've flown long haul in and out of most hubs in the combined United system and I haven't noticed a differentiation in terms of crew politeness/professionalism/service. I've had good and bad crews from both sides. The only stand-out has been HKG based crews with consistently good crews.

It is MUCH MUCH more important to me to be in BF than routing. I'm fine doing 2 layover to ensure a BF seat. I saw the IAH - LHR flight but it had two additional connections in Europe to get to Greece. Maybe an agent would help me with finding just one leg to ATH. I'd love the LHR flight though.
Something strange with the Aegean flight, I can't get it to come up with the UA flight on a single ticket despite the fare rules saying it's OK:
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 2/AREA 3
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY A3 FLIGHT OPERATED BY A3

An agent should be able to build the itin, possibly with help from the rate desk, unless there's some fare rule I'm missing. If they can't be booked together you could book separate tickets although then the airlines may be less helpful in the case of IRROPS.

Using Expert Flyer, I see that there are 2 ON seats ORD-MUC. If I call the airline, would I be able to book in there now?
ON is for upgrading from C to F, not Y to C. But yes, when you see space you can book (online or over the phone), wait for ticketing (1 minute to many hours), and upgrade (online or over the phone) instantly.

You sound very seasoned... would you book now and waitlist? Like on the LHR flight? Or would you wait until we get closer to the date?
I'm not a big fan of waitlisting since you're not married to a particular flight; I only waitlist when I have to be on a certain flight due to schedule or fare constraints. Since you have time and flexibility I'd say wait and keep looking for a good option:
- Set up EF alerts for R/RN space on your preferred routings.
- Occasionally (perhaps weekly) check for other less ideal options.

Also, should I be looking for ON, IN or RN or does it matter?
You should be looking for R and RN only. ON is C to F, and IN is a C award ticket.