Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 19, 19, 5:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mozilla
Wiki Link
United's Farelock
FareLock allows you to hold your itinerary and price for either three or seven days for a service charge. This allows time to finalize your travel plans without worrying about flights selling out or the price of your ticket increasing.
A FareLock is a reservation for space pending ticketing.

Why is farelock not offered at times?
FareLock is available on select flights operated by United and United Express (Star Alliance® flights and marketed codeshare flights are not eligible).
Also, only fares that would be valid at the future purchase time, such as due to advance purchase (AP) requirements, can be farelocked. So if looking at 21 day AP ticket, 22 days before the applicable segment neither a 3 day or 7 day farelock will be available.

Farelock fees are not refunded even under the 24 hour ticket cancellation rule.

Fareock reservations cannot be changed until after you have purchased the reservation.

If you do not purchase your ticket before your Farelock period expires, your reservation will be canceled unless you have selected the automatic purchase option. The 24 hour cancellation clock does not start until the actual purchase is made.

Caveats

Per the CoC, UA reserves the right to cancel reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities. There have been multiple reports of UA exercising this option to cancel duplicate FareLock segments conflicting with either another FareLock reservation or with a ticketed reservation, often making the remainder of the FareLock (if any) unticketable. Generally, unticketed segments will be canceled over ticketed segments, and older bookings will be canceled over more recent bookings if ticket status is identical. UA does not automatically refund the FareLock service charge if this happens, but it is possible to call in and ask for the refund.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 14, 17, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Richym99 View Post
Trying to book a provisional flight to CMH from LHR for the end of the month, but not totally sure of the dates yet. The chosen route, via IAH has only 3 seats left in K so wanted to do a fare lock.

Trying to book, I am not offered a fare lock option. Have also tried booking avoiding United Express flights with the same result.

Anyone think of a reason why fare lock would not be available?
Only available on UA/UAX flights and beyond 15 days of travel. Not available under 15 days.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Richym99 View Post
Trying to book a provisional flight to CMH from LHR for the end of the month, but not totally sure of the dates yet. The chosen route, via IAH has only 3 seats left in K so wanted to do a fare lock.

Trying to book, I am not offered a fare lock option. Have also tried booking avoiding United Express flights with the same result.

Anyone think of a reason why fare lock would not be available?
entire itinerary is UA/UAX, yes? (I know, just making double sure).

Another common reason I've seen farelock not offered is if it goes beyond a rule threshold, particularly Advance purchase. So for example, if the fare requires a 21 day advance purchase and you are 22 days out, it rarely gets offered. In any case, UA basically says it's offered at their discretion, and may not be offered on every itinerary. Just a guess, but if K=3, perhaps they are basically offering the chance for you to get it today at the lower price, or take your chances and have to buy it at L, S, T or whatever he next lowest class is available.

If you can deal deal with a decision in 24 hours, best bet is to buy now, then use the 24 hour policy to cancel.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
Only available on UA/UAX flights and beyond 15 days of travel. Not available under 15 days.
That is probably why. I'm on the 15 days today.
Old Jun 14, 17, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
I have doubts that this is entirely true. I've done farelock under 15 days once before. I seem to recall in these threads that other people have too.
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
I have doubts that this is entirely true. I've done farelock under 15 days once before. I seem to recall in these threads that other people have too.
I think the accurate version is that farelock is rarely/never offered if it would significantly extend that fare past its advance purchase minimum.
Old Jul 23, 17, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
I booked the fare lock 23 days before the flight but now it's within 21 days. Will I get charged $75? The confirmation shows the $75 but says the total price is $5.60
What was the outcome here? Can you reserve farelock 21 days ahead and purchase less then 21 and not pay the fee?
Old Jul 23, 17, 12:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by bdlman View Post
What was the outcome here? Can you reserve farelock 21 days ahead and purchase less then 21 and not pay the fee?
No, though apparently there is a trick if you book a ticket outside of 21 days and then call and ask them to change it within 24 hours you can change to any date and avoid the $75 fee
Old Jul 24, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Hi! I found some Farelock info on page 9 about having to pay for your flights with the same credit care you used to hold the reservation. However on the Terms and Condition page within United.com I don't see that rule listed. Thanks if you can point me to where it says that????

• FareLock is available for reservations booked through united.com, the United app or the United Customer Contact Center. FareLock is available on flights operated by United and United Express® only, and the charge is per reservation.
  • FareLock service charges are nonrefundable and are not applied toward the price of the ticket.
  • Customers can hold a reserved fare with FareLock and then complete the transaction on united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center at any time prior to the end of the FareLock hold period. Reservations that are not ticketed before the FareLock expiration will be canceled, unless the automatic purchase option has been selected.
  • FareLock is subject to availability.
  • Reservations that are held with FareLock and subsequently ticketed may be changed or refunded in accordance with United's 24-hour flexible booking policy
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal View Post
Hi! I found some Farelock info on page 9 about having to pay for your flights with the same credit care you used to hold the reservation. However on the Terms and Condition page within United.com I don't see that rule listed. Thanks if you can point me to where it says that????

• FareLock is available for reservations booked through united.com, the United app or the United Customer Contact Center. FareLock is available on flights operated by United and United Express® only, and the charge is per reservation.
  • FareLock service charges are nonrefundable and are not applied toward the price of the ticket.
  • Customers can hold a reserved fare with FareLock and then complete the transaction on united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center at any time prior to the end of the FareLock hold period. Reservations that are not ticketed before the FareLock expiration will be canceled, unless the automatic purchase option has been selected.
  • FareLock is subject to availability.
  • Reservations that are held with FareLock and subsequently ticketed may be changed or refunded in accordance with United's 24-hour flexible booking policy
I've done farelock with one card and paid later on with a different one. No worries.
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:47 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks so much well traveled Kirkwood J! My United card is something like 16% and my Amex is 6% . . . . don't think the miles earned buying through United card will make up for the interest charge (will have to pay it off over 3 months). When you click "Purchase This Ticket" does it allow you to type in a credit card or is it better to call and talk to a real person and pay the $25?

Guess I should pay YOU the $25! Thanks again!
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Thanks so much well traveled Kirkwood J! My United card is something like 16% and my Amex is 6% . . . . don't think the miles earned buying through United card will make up for the interest charge (will have to pay it off over 3 months). When you click "Purchase This Ticket" does it allow you to type in a credit card or is it better to call and talk to a real person and pay the $25?

Ha! No need. When you do the final payment you can use any of your cards on file or enter a new one. DO NOT waste $25!
Old Jul 24, 17, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver

When you are ready to purchase and click the button to do so, the payment page looks like it does with any other transaction - pick the card from your profile or enter in a different one. THe only exception is if you chose to auto-purchase at the end of the farelock period (and don't manually purchase prior to it) - then it will automatically charge the same card.
Old Oct 18, 17, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Gold MM, Marriott LTPP
Does anyone know if the fare class of a fare locked ticked can be changed? I have a leg in L that I want to up to W.

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 17, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001 View Post
Does anyone know if the fare class of a fare locked ticked can be changed? I have a leg in L that I want to up to W. ...
Shouldn't be an issue to do after booking in the 24 hour no fee window.
Old Oct 19, 17, 3:51 pm

Programs: United Gold MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Shouldn't be an issue to do after booking in the 24 hour no fee window.
OK, so you are saying to finalize the purchase of the ticket and then to make the change. It probably can't be done whilst only under a farelock?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: