Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
As promised, I'm reporting back. As of today, I've been upgraded to Premier Platinum. The only thing I'm unsure of is if this was processed manually or done automatically.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Absolutely amazing that people will convert hard earned after tax dollars to faux currency in any FF program.
Depending on your circumstances, it may make sense. Does for for me anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:30 am

Is United Premier Silver status worth $350? I was less than 2k from making Silver at the EOY and passes on doing a mileage run. Now, though, United has offered Premier Silver Status to me for $350. Is it worth it?

My initial thought is that the 25% premier bonus award miles might tip the scale. If I fly 20,000 this year, I'll get an additional 5,000 redeemable miles, which will cost me 7 cents per mile.

At $350, the cpm is 17.5. Had I spent $200 on a mileage run before the end of the year, my cost would have been 10 cpm, but I would have wasted a day. At $350, I'm paying $150 premium over the cost of a MR, without having to sacrifice a day. But that $150 is only at a cost of 7.5 cpm.

Considering the true cost of 17.5 cpm, but the subtracting the potential benefit of 7 cpm in redeemable miles, is Premier Silver worth it at 10 cpm?

thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing others opinions.

-Pete
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlabamaPete
Is United Premier Silver status worth $350? I was less than 2k from making Silver at the EOY and passes on doing a mileage run. Now, though, United has offered Premier Silver Status to me for $350. Is it worth it?

My initial thought is that the 25% premier bonus award miles might tip the scale. If I fly 20,000 this year, I'll get an additional 5,000 redeemable miles, which will cost me 7 cents per mile.

At $350, the cpm is 17.5. Had I spent $200 on a mileage run before the end of the year, my cost would have been 10 cpm, but I would have wasted a day. At $350, I'm paying $150 premium over the cost of a MR, without having to sacrifice a day. But that $150 is only at a cost of 7.5 cpm.

Considering the true cost of 17.5 cpm, but the subtracting the potential benefit of 7 cpm in redeemable miles, is Premier Silver worth it at 10 cpm?

thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing others opinions.

-Pete
Premier access and your 1 out of 6 CPU upgrade chances in a non-hub airport are worth it. Plus the 1 free bag is nice as well as free E+ on day of departure.

Personally i wouldn't purchase extra elite miles but only because i enjoy flying and would rather just sit on a plane than spend the money.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Premier access and your 1 out of 6 CPU upgrade chances in a non-hub airport are worth it. Plus the 1 free bag is nice as well as free E+ on day of departure.

Personally i wouldn't purchase extra elite miles but only because i enjoy flying and would rather just sit on a plane than spend the money.
I can't read this whole thread. It's just too long. What was the determination? Will UA count purchased EQMs towards the $$ deemed necessary to remain elite.

Thanks
Marylyn
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by icydog
I can't read this whole thread. It's just too long. What was the determination? Will UA count purchased EQMs towards the $$ deemed necessary to remain elite.

Thanks
Marylyn
No need to read any whole thread, just check out the wiki on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-pqd.html

The FAQs say that the only non-airfare payments that will count are E+ purchases. Elite Maximizer is not specifically mentioned, but it is looking like the dollars will not count.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: United, LifeMiles
Premier Qualifying Miles options

Which is a better way to go. To upgrade to 2013:
1)Transfer 5,960 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Silver status.
2)Transfer 30,960 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Gold status.
3)Transfer 55,960 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Platinum status.
-OR-
Upgrade to 2014;
1)Transfer 25,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Silver status.
2)Transfer 50,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Gold status.
3)Transfer 75,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Platinum status.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:55 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
I think it depends on how much you plan/need to fly in 2014 and 2015 and what else you would do with the miles.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by tim01tm
To upgrade to 2013:
You've already missed 2013!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm also sure that if anyone had bought PQM and had the cost show up in their PQD tallies, we'd have heard about it by now. It's fairly explicit Elite Accelerator won't count toward PQD IMHO.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:29 pm

One would think so wouldn't one. However, when I select transfer flexible miles it gives me the options listed in my original post. I assume the first option's elite status would expire at the end of 2014 and the second would expire at the end of 2015. Is that correct? If so, it would seem to me that option 2 is the better choice. I just wanted to be sure I'm not missing something.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:02 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by tim01tm
One would think so wouldn't one. However, when I select transfer flexible miles it gives me the options listed in my original post. I assume the first option's elite status would expire at the end of 2014 and the second would expire at the end of 2015. Is that correct? If so, it would seem to me that option 2 is the better choice. I just wanted to be sure I'm not missing something.
That is what I inferred as well from your original post.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Based on the implied past mileage you've flown, if that's an indication of your future travel, I'd suggest option #7, none of the above.

How much are you planning to fly in 2014? Domestic or International? Economy or Business? Do you earn many miles through credit card use? Is this a one-shot thing or are you looking for something sustainable, and have considered whether you can meet future spending requirements?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:19 pm

I fly NA to Europe a couple of times a year and NA to South America 3 or 4 times a year on a Star Alliance Member Airline. I usually buy coach and use miles to upgrade to business. Most of my miles are from cc use.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by icydog

Thanks
Marylyn
Originally Posted by Michilander
No need to read any whole thread, just check out the wiki on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-pqd.html

The FAQs say that the only non-airfare payments that will count are E+ purchases. Elite Maximizer is not specifically mentioned, but it is looking like the dollars will not count.
Thank you!
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm also sure that if anyone had bought PQM and had the cost show up in their PQD tallies, we'd have heard about it by now. It's fairly explicit Elite Accelerator won't count toward PQD IMHO.
I hear you. I thought this was the case but I thought I'd ask. In this environment buying PQMs doesn't make sense except for Platinum status where the $$ are waived this year. Am I correct in this thinking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.