FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321011-ua-mileage-earning-ac-air-canada-operated-flights-p-now-150-a.html)

tilhas Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm

mileage accrual on Air Canada Question

Hello,

I'm a little confused on the mileage accrual if you guys can help me out. I'm trying to plan my MQM and Segments to make sure I hit GOLD by the end of the year.

I have two tickets coming up.
Air Canada Rouge - YUL-NCE Fare L - Economy Basic
Air Canada - BCN-YUL Fare K - Economy Basic

When i look at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
I see For flights flown on or after January 1, 2019 = > International deep discount Economy S, T, A, L, K 100% 1
But then I see Effective for travel on or after December 11, 2018: International Basic Economy tickets on Air Canada will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. International Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes.

When I do the math I should get 7480 * 50% = 3740MQMs BUT when I click on https://mystatus.united.com/ and select future flights I see it show up but only 1870MQMs!!!

WineCountryUA Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by tilhas (Post 31420644)

When I do the math I should get 7480 * 50% = 3740MQMs BUT when I click on https://mystatus.united.com/ and select future flights I see it show up but only 1870MQMs!!!

Other can response to your calculation (which I think is correct) but https://mystatus.united.com/is no a definitive answer and is known to provide inaccurate information in some cases
mystatus.united. com / Premier status tracker now includes future flights

as does the reservation receipt
Incorrect / Ineligible PQD / PQM / RDM information showing on my itinerary

Fortunately, the posting is generally very accurate.

a330marcus Aug 17, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi (Post 31395576)
Makes me wonder if AC is in fact sending a different fare class to differentiate their branded fares.
​​​​​​

I had an AC domestic segment a few months ago booked in Comfort class, where the AC booking showed "Economy L".
When it appeared up on my MP account, it was credited in "M" class (full PQM/PQS).

I have a few more AC domestic "Comfort - Economy A" flights coming up. Hope they will all show up as "M class" on the United side.

transportprof Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by a330marcus (Post 31426324)
I had an AC domestic segment a few months ago booked in Comfort class, where the AC booking showed "Economy L".
When it appeared up on my MP account, it was credited in "M" class (full PQM/PQS).

I have a few more AC domestic "Comfort - Economy A" flights coming up. Hope they will all show up as "M class" on the United side.

That is good news, and a big step forward. But the Comfort fare still earns 115% of miles flown in Aeroplan, so there remains a penalty of crediting it to Mileage Plus.

Lesfilles Sep 27, 2019 9:06 am

How many miles earned if I fly using Air Canada

Hello,

I am sorry if I am writing to this forum without doing much research since this is time sensitive. I have only "Member" status on United.

I have an opportunity to fly on Air Canada Business class RT from Boston to Seoul Korea. The question is

How many UNITED miles will I earn on that ticket? The ticket is $ 5000. I am not interested in using the Air Canada mileage plan but pool the miles earned in my United Mileage Plus account. I will need to book through Air Canada website.

After flying, do I get any Silver Status ?

Thank you

Kmxu Sep 27, 2019 9:11 am

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html

mahasamatman Sep 27, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Lesfilles (Post 31569898)
After flying, do I get any Silver Status ?

It's a little more than 14,000 miles round-trip (assuming you fly via YYZ), so you should get enough PQM for Silver out of it as long as it's not a P fare.

findark Sep 27, 2019 9:26 am

Note that if you book through Air Canada and fly on AC flights, you will earn zero PQD and so you won't earn any status unless you have a non-US address.

Assuming BOS-YYZ-ICN, AC metal and Z class all segments, 014 ticket stock.

PQM: 28,232
PQD: 0
PQS: 6
Award miles: 28,232

Lesfilles Sep 27, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the quick replies

So based on the answers, and if I book through ACanada, the ticket will not be starting with '016' ??

Member 5 × fare = 25000 miles ?

or if Distance ??

14000 miles (RT) * 200% = 28000 miles ?

+ in either situation, I will get Silver ! ?

mahasamatman Sep 27, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31569975)
Note that if you book through Air Canada and fly on AC flights, you will earn zero PQD and so you won't earn any status unless you have a non-US address.

And you also need to have four segments operated by UA/UX to get any status.

findark Sep 27, 2019 9:29 am

See my post above, assuming 014 ticket and Z class on AC metal. No Silver unless you are PQD-exempt (and 4 UA metal segments as noted).

mahasamatman Sep 27, 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Lesfilles (Post 31569983)
if I book through ACanada, the ticket will not be starting with '016' ??

No. Only United (or maybe a travel agent willing to bend the rules) can issue an 016 ticket for this itinerary. So, if these are your only flights, you will not gain any status because you won't meet the PQD (if a U.S. resident) or 4-segment requirements.

WineCountryUA Sep 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for the quick replies

So based on the answers, and if I book through ACanada, the ticket will not be starting with '016' ?? ...

No, will mostly likely be 014

Member 5 × fare = 25000 miles ? ..

PQMs are always distance based
RDMs (award miles may be fare based or distance based)

RMDs, in this case, will be distance-based because not a UA operated flight and not on 016 UA ticket stock

or if Distance ??

14000 miles (RT) * 200% = 28000 miles ? ....

For RDMs, Yes -- business class fare RDM multiple is 200%
For PQMs, distance based for PQMs, PQM multiplier based on AC's fare class (J=300%, C, D, Z=200% and P=150%)

will get Silver ?

Depending on the fare you may have the PQMs. If you are a Canadian resident you will not need the PQDs, BUT as others have mentioned you will need the 4 UA operated flight segments to achieve status.

ualboston1k Oct 9, 2019 4:54 pm

I've noticed a bit of a discrepancy on *A Partner earnings. Perhaps all is fine, but it seems like UA is giving out more MP miles (redeemable, not PQM) for partner flights than their mileage charts indicated.

Recent example on Air Canada. Booked BOS-YYZ-FRA in D (Business Class Fare) ticketed on Air Canada 014 Ticket stock.

The "Earning Miles" chart for Air Canada located at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html indicates for a D fare I should earn 200% of flown mileage as redeemable Mileage Plus miles. It says this 200% is "including fare class bonus." PQM chart also indicates I should earn 200% of flown miles as premier qualifying. So, based on the cart, I would expect PQM and redeemable miles to be the same for this trip.

When flights posted, PQM miles were as expected (200%), but redeemable award miles were 50% more than expected. Here are the details:

BOS-YYZ in D (business class)
-PQM Earned: 1000 (this is correct and as expected)
-MP Miles Earned:
-Base MIles: 446 (actual miles flown, which is less than 500 miles)
-Bonus Miles: 892 (200% of "base miles")
-Total Miles earned: 1338 miles. But according to UA Website it should only be 892 (200% of "base miles").

YYZ-FRA in D (business Class)
-PQM Earned: 7876 (200% of flown. This is correct)
-MP Miles Earned:
-Base MIles: 3938
- Bonus Miles: 7876 (200% of base miles)
-Total MIles earned: 11,814 (Except UA websites indicates this should be 7876...200% of base miles.)

I've noticed this same calculation on Lufthansa and other partners too.

So...why do you think we are earning more than what the website publishes? Is the website earnings chart incorrect, or is UA IT incorrectly calculating. For these flights I would have expected redeemable miles to = PQM earned since both indicate 200% bonus. But it seems we actually earn 50% more redeemable than what the website says because "Bonus MIles" is being calculated at the % indicated on the website, and then this is being added to "base miles."

expressboy Oct 9, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ualboston1k (Post 31610981)
I've noticed a bit of a discrepancy on *A Partner earnings. Perhaps all is fine, but it seems like UA is giving out more MP miles (redeemable, not PQM) for partner flights than their mileage charts indicated.

Recent example on Air Canada. Booked BOS-YYZ-FRA in D (Business Class Fare) ticketed on Air Canada 014 Ticket stock.

The "Earning Miles" chart for Air Canada located at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html indicates for a D fare I should earn 200% of flown mileage as redeemable Mileage Plus miles. It says this 200% is "including fare class bonus." PQM chart also indicates I should earn 200% of flown miles as premier qualifying. So, based on the cart, I would expect PQM and redeemable miles to be the same for this trip.

When flights posted, PQM miles were as expected (200%), but redeemable award miles were 50% more than expected. Here are the details:

BOS-YYZ in D (business class)
-PQM Earned: 1000 (this is correct and as expected)
-MP Miles Earned:
-Base MIles: 446 (actual miles flown, which is less than 500 miles)
-Bonus Miles: 892 (200% of "base miles")
-Total Miles earned: 1338 miles. But according to UA Website it should only be 892 (200% of "base miles").

YYZ-FRA in D (business Class)
-PQM Earned: 7876 (200% of flown. This is correct)
-MP Miles Earned:
-Base MIles: 3938
- Bonus Miles: 7876 (200% of base miles)
-Total MIles earned: 11,814 (Except UA websites indicates this should be 7876...200% of base miles.)

I've noticed this same calculation on Lufthansa and other partners too.

So...why do you think we are earning more than what the website publishes? Is the website earnings chart incorrect, or is UA IT incorrectly calculating. For these flights I would have expected redeemable miles to = PQM earned since both indicate 200% bonus. But it seems we actually earn 50% more redeemable than what the website says because "Bonus MIles" is being calculated at the % indicated on the website, and then this is being added to "base miles."

B

This looks correct to me. You are getting 200% based on your D class purchase and the additional 100% is an elite RDM bonus for 1Ks on non UA tickets for selected partner airlines AC and LH included.