FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321011-ua-mileage-earning-ac-air-canada-operated-flights-p-now-150-a.html)

jsloan Nov 7, 2018 9:11 am

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 30404044)
Any recent experiences on how quickly AC credits PQM to UA?

I had an AC segment earlier this year that posted about three days after I flew; however, it was on a UA ticket. I'm not sure if an AC ticket might post at a different speed.

GUM_elite Jan 9, 2019 9:25 am

I tried searching the thread, but couldn't find an answer. Does we earn mileage and PQM on AC Rouge flights?

For example, is a K fare on a non-016 ticketed flight operated by Rouge going to get me 100% PQM per the charts below?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html

findark Jan 9, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by GUM_elite (Post 30632127)
I tried searching the thread, but couldn't find an answer. Does we earn mileage and PQM on AC Rouge flights?

For example, is a K fare on a non-016 ticketed flight operated by Rouge going to get me 100% PQM per the charts below?

Yes, assuming the flight is not within Canada.

DELee Jan 9, 2019 2:29 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GUM_elite (Post 30632127)

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30632783)
Yes, assuming the flight is not within Canada.

Uh, that's not what the chart below says (from the link posted) for non-016 International flights.

So, if we are going by the chart, you'll earn 50% if you are flying on a non-016 K-fare ticket on an Air Canada Rouge flight internationally (e.g. out of/outside of Canada).

If you are flying Canada domestic, it will drop to 25% - or 0 depending how UA maps the ticket.

David

secretalcoholic Jan 9, 2019 2:55 pm

Your PQM will be 100% but award mileage will be 50%

Santander Jan 9, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 30633608)
Uh, that's not what the chart below says (from the link posted) for non-016 International flights.

So, if we are going by the chart, you'll earn 50% if you are flying on a non-016 K-fare ticket on an Air Canada Rouge flight internationally (e.g. out of/outside of Canada).

If you are flying Canada domestic, it will drop to 25% - or 0 depending how UA maps the ticket.

David

​​​​​​That chart is for RDM - scroll to the bottom of the page for PQM. Ticketing carrier does not matter for PQM - earnings will be 100% for intl flights and 25% for domestic flights on the cheapest fares.

DELee Jan 9, 2019 6:48 pm

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Santander (Post 30633792)
​​​​​​That chart is for RDM - scroll to the bottom of the page for PQM. Ticketing carrier does not matter for PQM - earnings will be 100% for intl flights and 25% for domestic flights on the cheapest fares.

Ah, missed that regarding chart is RDMs. Agreed about the 25% PQMs for deep discount AC fares. See example below - UA only gave 25% PQMs (125) for an AC T-class intra-Canada segment while 100% PQMs (500) for same AC T-class but crossing the Canada-US border - with each segment less than 500 miles in distance.

David

OccasionalCanuck Jan 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Happy to see that my recent yyc-yyz-yow-yyz-yxu-yyz-yyc excursion all credited exactly as advertised at UA on 016 stock. These were Q,Q, H, H, W, W fares.

lsquare Mar 27, 2019 3:36 am

Crediting AC basic economy fares to UA?

Anyone here travelled to Europe such as LHR or CDG on AC basic fares coded as "K"? There is a warning on AC's website that domestic flights earn no miles, but for international only 25% Aeroplan. How does this affect someone crediting to UA for YVR-YUL-CDG and back?

UAPremExecflyer Mar 27, 2019 4:28 am

Go to the UA MP earnings page for AC flights ... and there's a clear chart listing all the fare classes and the earning rates You find that earning on International Basic Economy fares on AC (including "K" as in note 11) accrues 50% or .5PQM.

lsquare Mar 27, 2019 5:41 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 30934566)
You find that earning on International Basic Economy fares on AC (including "K" as in note 11) accrues 50% or .5PQM.

AC's website mentioned the reduction in earning Aeroplan so I thought there might be something similar if crediting to UA.

carzaddict Apr 26, 2019 9:52 am

How long until Air Canada flights get credited to my United account?

Took an Air Canada flight on Monday morning, how long until the miles get credited on my United account? I used my United member number when booking

FlyerTalker70 Apr 26, 2019 10:05 am

From my experience flying AC somewhat regularly, usually within 3-4 days of the flight, depending on when you took the flight (sometimes can be as long as a week depending on the partner). Hence, I would expect the flight to appear in your account within the next day or so at the latest. On a side note, you may have to view the details of your MilagePlus account to see the flight being posted since UA's IT doesn't always update the milage counts automatically.

-James

rankourabu Apr 26, 2019 10:14 am

Monday's flight (evening) credited this morning.

carzaddict Apr 26, 2019 10:35 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31039778)
Monday's flight (evening) credited this morning.

i see it now, it just posted within the hour.

cfischer Apr 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30934690)
AC's website mentioned the reduction in earning Aeroplan so I thought there might be something similar if crediting to UA.

:confused: there is no correlation. It might indicate that in the future it may change, but there is already sufficient and long standing difference between AC flights earning on Aeroplan vs. UA that it might just stay the way it is.

FlyerTalker70 Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30934690)

How many miles (status and award) you earn depends solely on the milage program you are crediting the flight to. Each program has their own earn rates depending on the airline you flew and the fare code. For instance, if you were to credit an AC flight to their Aeroplan programme you would earn 50% elite miles on a standard fare between Canada and an international destination. However, if you were to credit that same AC flight to UA's programme you would earn 100% elite miles.

Hence, it does really matter which milage program you use and is one reason this Canuck credits their flights with AC and other *A partners to UA's programme.

Different programmes also have different rules for acquiring status. For instance, AC's Aeroplan programme requires spending thousands of dollars on AC flights every year to earn status (in addition to earning the requisite elite miles). UA's programme doesn't have such a requirement for non-US residents like myself. Similarly, UA's programme requires flying 1,000,000 miles with them to get lifetime Gold status. However, Asiana's programme requires flying only half that amount across all *A partners, a much easier requirement to hit.

That being said, I am both an AC Aeroplan and United MilagePlus member. I credit all my flights to UA's MilagePlus and accumulate award miles through the various AC and other travel credit cards I have to AC's Aeroplan and BA's Executive Club.

Safe Travels,

James

DesertRat Jun 25, 2019 11:25 am

I’m thinking of booking a 016 ticket that includes a segment in AC premium economy that united.com says is “R” class. The ua page says R on AC gives no mileage credit. Is this another mapping issue or will it really give no mileage? It is a paid trip though a discounted fare for premium economy

findark Jun 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 31238479)
I’m thinking of booking a 016 ticket that includes a segment in AC premium economy that united.com says is “R” class. The ua page says R on AC gives no mileage credit. Is this another mapping issue or will it really give no mileage? It is a paid trip though a discounted fare for premium economy

Presumably this is a UA-marketed flight; on AC, R class is Business. It should post as N class and earn 125 150% PQM.

fumje Jun 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31238612)
Presumably this is a UA-marketed flight; on AC, R class is Business. It should post as N class and earn 125% PQM.

typo I think: should post as N and earn 150% PQM.

findark Jun 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 31238778)
typo I think: should post as N and earn 150% PQM.

You're right, I had the RDM chart up and was thinking of LH where N earns less.

DesertRat Jun 25, 2019 8:17 pm

Thank you both. i'll give it a shot.

rjp123 Jul 8, 2019 7:04 pm

Oof. How is it that a domestic "Comfort" fare books in to T and L class (YYZ-YYC)? I paid $100+ more each direction for the Comfort versus Standard and somehow Air Canada still classifies this as "deep discount domestic Economy" with other *A partners. AC*AP gives 115%, UA*MP gives 25%.

As a UA*G I should have just booked Standard. FML. :(

jsloan Jul 8, 2019 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by rjp123 (Post 31283453)
Oof. How is it that a domestic "Comfort" fare books in to T and L class (YYZ-YYC)?

Because the branded fare families are independent of the underlying fare class; it’s the same way that TATL Basic Economy can book into anything from K to W on United.

Eventually, the mileage programs will all be updated to credit based upon the fare family instead of the fare class, but until then, you’re going to have this weirdness.

whitethunder Jul 8, 2019 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by rjp123 (Post 31283453)
Oof. How is it that a domestic "Comfort" fare books in to T and L class (YYZ-YYC)? I paid $100+ more each direction for the Comfort versus Standard and somehow Air Canada still classifies this as "deep discount domestic Economy" with other *A partners. AC*AP gives 115%, UA*MP gives 25%.

As a UA*G I should have just booked Standard. FML. :(

I was hit with the same problem last year, from now on I always check the fare class by clicking what fare you want after you search, and on the next screen click on "details" then you will see the fare class by the cabin type. Then just compare to the UA AC earnings chart to be 100% sure

rjp123 Jul 9, 2019 8:37 am

Yeah, novice move, I know. I figured if AC was giving 115% UA would give something better than 25%...

cfischer Jul 9, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by rjp123 (Post 31285161)
Yeah, novice move, I know. I figured if AC was giving 115% UA would give something better than 25%...

it is pretty much up to AC in discussion with UA how much they want to give. In the end ... AC needs to pay UA

pentiumvi Aug 8, 2019 4:53 pm

Just to confirm, people who've been crediting non-016 AC flights to UA, it's been purely based on fare class?

Have there been any reports of AC re-classifying the fare class to match the equivalent earning because of branded fares? Ie. Standard M domestic AC would code as T when crediting to UA in order to only award 25%?

I see there's a report a little while back in this thread of Flex G being remapped to T, but that seems like it was an AC mistake?

​​​​

whitethunder Aug 8, 2019 5:40 pm

I booked a trip a few months ago on AC site, a multi city itin at the "flex" level

tickets were in either L class or W

Low and behold after I get back I notice all the flights credited to UA as full 100% PQM "Q" class. I have no idea how that happened as Q was not in any booking emails or anything, super weird, the oddness that is AC crediting to UA continues...

pentiumvi Aug 8, 2019 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder (Post 31395529)
I booked a trip a few months ago on AC site, a multi city itin at the "flex" level

tickets were in either L class or W

Low and behold after I get back I notice all the flights credited to UA as full 100% PQM "Q" class. I have no idea how that happened as Q was not in any booking emails or anything, super weird, the oddness that is AC crediting to UA continues...

Makes me wonder if AC is in fact sending a different fare class to differentiate their branded fares.

I think AC already does this for some of the other FFPs (ie TK?)

​​​​​​

tilhas Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm

mileage accrual on Air Canada Question

Hello,

I'm a little confused on the mileage accrual if you guys can help me out. I'm trying to plan my MQM and Segments to make sure I hit GOLD by the end of the year.

I have two tickets coming up.
Air Canada Rouge - YUL-NCE Fare L - Economy Basic
Air Canada - BCN-YUL Fare K - Economy Basic

When i look at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
I see For flights flown on or after January 1, 2019 = > International deep discount Economy S, T, A, L, K 100% 1
But then I see Effective for travel on or after December 11, 2018: International Basic Economy tickets on Air Canada will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. International Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes.

When I do the math I should get 7480 * 50% = 3740MQMs BUT when I click on https://mystatus.united.com/ and select future flights I see it show up but only 1870MQMs!!!

WineCountryUA Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by tilhas (Post 31420644)

When I do the math I should get 7480 * 50% = 3740MQMs BUT when I click on https://mystatus.united.com/ and select future flights I see it show up but only 1870MQMs!!!

Other can response to your calculation (which I think is correct) but https://mystatus.united.com/is no a definitive answer and is known to provide inaccurate information in some cases
mystatus.united. com / Premier status tracker now includes future flights

as does the reservation receipt
Incorrect / Ineligible PQD / PQM / RDM information showing on my itinerary

Fortunately, the posting is generally very accurate.

a330marcus Aug 17, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi (Post 31395576)
Makes me wonder if AC is in fact sending a different fare class to differentiate their branded fares.
​​​​​​

I had an AC domestic segment a few months ago booked in Comfort class, where the AC booking showed "Economy L".
When it appeared up on my MP account, it was credited in "M" class (full PQM/PQS).

I have a few more AC domestic "Comfort - Economy A" flights coming up. Hope they will all show up as "M class" on the United side.

transportprof Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by a330marcus (Post 31426324)
I had an AC domestic segment a few months ago booked in Comfort class, where the AC booking showed "Economy L".
When it appeared up on my MP account, it was credited in "M" class (full PQM/PQS).

I have a few more AC domestic "Comfort - Economy A" flights coming up. Hope they will all show up as "M class" on the United side.

That is good news, and a big step forward. But the Comfort fare still earns 115% of miles flown in Aeroplan, so there remains a penalty of crediting it to Mileage Plus.

Lesfilles Sep 27, 2019 9:06 am

How many miles earned if I fly using Air Canada

Hello,

I am sorry if I am writing to this forum without doing much research since this is time sensitive. I have only "Member" status on United.

I have an opportunity to fly on Air Canada Business class RT from Boston to Seoul Korea. The question is

How many UNITED miles will I earn on that ticket? The ticket is $ 5000. I am not interested in using the Air Canada mileage plan but pool the miles earned in my United Mileage Plus account. I will need to book through Air Canada website.

After flying, do I get any Silver Status ?

Thank you

Kmxu Sep 27, 2019 9:11 am

mahasamatman Sep 27, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Lesfilles (Post 31569898)
After flying, do I get any Silver Status ?

It's a little more than 14,000 miles round-trip (assuming you fly via YYZ), so you should get enough PQM for Silver out of it as long as it's not a P fare.

findark Sep 27, 2019 9:26 am

Note that if you book through Air Canada and fly on AC flights, you will earn zero PQD and so you won't earn any status unless you have a non-US address.

Assuming BOS-YYZ-ICN, AC metal and Z class all segments, 014 ticket stock.

PQM: 28,232
PQD: 0
PQS: 6
Award miles: 28,232

Lesfilles Sep 27, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the quick replies

So based on the answers, and if I book through ACanada, the ticket will not be starting with '016' ??

Member 5 × fare = 25000 miles ?

or if Distance ??

14000 miles (RT) * 200% = 28000 miles ?

+ in either situation, I will get Silver ! ?

mahasamatman Sep 27, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31569975)
Note that if you book through Air Canada and fly on AC flights, you will earn zero PQD and so you won't earn any status unless you have a non-US address.

And you also need to have four segments operated by UA/UX to get any status.