Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover, in addition to the destination, is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Other notes:
  • The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
  • For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
  • Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA
Print Wikipost

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 pm

Just realized SEZ-YYZ has one connection (ADD) and another "stop" in Rome - but it is a "direct" flight ADD-YYZ. That means there is no "stop" in Europe - which is probably what makes the difference.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Yea, I've kind of assumed that's what it is. I have a stopover at LHR.

What stops do you have SEZ-YYZ? I'm assuming you have at least one connection there, which makes your routing the exact same as mine - with the exception that your stopover is at DPS (on the "pacific" side of your journey) while mine is at LHR (on the "atlantic" side of my journey).
I would be quite confident that with LHR and CPT, you don't get close enough to the Pacific for the system to see any sense in offering a Pacific crossing (even if you were headed to the US west coast).
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Daveyb101
I would be quite confident that with LHR and CPT, you don't get close enough to the Pacific for the system to see any sense in offering a Pacific crossing (even if you were headed to the US west coast).
The same could be said for DPS / SEZ and an atlantic crossing.

I think the reason this worked for you is because ADD-(FCO)-YYZ is a "direct" flight - so it doesn't really matter what ocean you cross or how ET chooses to route their flight.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
EWR-YYZ-LHR (destination) (open-jaw)
BRU-EDI (stopover) (open-jaw)
MAN-ARN-EWR

This should be allowed, no? I have 1 stopover and 2 open jaws. I have the outbound and return held, and am trying to add the BRU-EDI leg. The computer is telling them it's not allowed. Twice now I've had trouble getting over the "open-jaw at the stopover" hump. HUCA?

ETA: It could be also thought of as EWR-YYZ-LHR (SO) (OJ) BRU-EDI (Dest) // (OJ) MAN-ARN-EWR.
Originally Posted by kalendil
Found this in the Contract of Carriage under "Stopovers":

Try telling them you are travelling that segment by ground transportation?

Also, if directors are mad at you, at this point you might have to throw the existing booking away and start over.
Update: I let the previous PNR expire. Grabbed the seats again. Called in to add the segment. After an hour with (both an incredibly helpful and patient) CSR and Supervisor, we were all in agreement that there's 1 stopover and 2 OJ's (although I may still be going back and forth with Supervisor if stopover AND 2 OJ's are allowed). However, Supervisor can't get it to price, despite all best efforts. We're going to speak again today.

Seems clear to me that their computers have difficulty pricing an OJ at a stopover. Dumb question, but how does manual pricing work? Do they still have to construct it on the computer and have it spit out a price, or does someone have the authority to look at an itinerary and type in "xxx miles required"?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Success, finally! 7th time (and 2nd PNR's) the charm I guess. I particularly enjoy about 4/7 CSR's telling me that yes the rules says -One stopover allowed, and -Two open jaws allowed, but CLEARLY those rules mean you are allowed one or the other, not both. I did have a couple of GREAT supervisors throughout the process, however.

In the end, EWR-YUL-LHR//BRU-EDI//MAN-ARN-EWR. Hopefully some EWR-LHR and MAN-EWR direct space opens up at some point. Thanks to all on this thread who contribute such helpful knowledge and facts!

Last edited by hotelmotel; Dec 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:10 pm

Working on an award for a friend LAX-BOM-LAX. I know I can route him through Europe or Japan, but is it also legal to do a stopover in South Asia on the way to/from BOM? He might want to do a stopover at BKK instead of Europe or Japan.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:11 pm

Hope this is the forum for my question. If not moderator feel free to re-route this.

Would like to use 120k for Biz awards ticket for the following route. Please let me know if it is a legal routing.

LAX-JFK-ICN-KIX (stopover)
HND- HKG (destination)
HKG-TPE-LAX OR HKG-ICN-JFK-LAX

If it is legal routing than will piece together all segments for CSR at United Airlines. Instead of 120k for trip , will add additional 7k miles more for JFK-ICN on Asiana First class suite. Rest on biz class

TIA
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:22 am

I have several separate one-ways booked in J and wondering if some can be combined into round-trips to add stop-overs or just maximize the value.

1) Jan: EWR-FRA-LOS-JNB-LVI
2) Feb: GVA-FRA-EWR
3) Jun: LGA-YUL-MUC-KBP

I've been contemplating changing:
- 1) and 2) to EWR-FRA-LOS-JNB-CPT (stop)//JNB-HKG (dest)//HKG-???-NYC
- or 2) and 3) to GVA-FRA-EWR (dest) //JFK-FRA-KBP (stop)//KBP-IST-NRT
- or adding return leg to 3) to LGA-YUL-MUC-KBP (stop)//KBP-IST-NRT (dest)//NRT-???-NYC

Are any of these legal?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
I have several separate one-ways booked in J and wondering if some can be combined into round-trips to add stop-overs or just maximize the value....
You can not combine existing bookings (award or revenue) into a common PNR. If the award space still exist, you can add to an existing award and/or change the award from OW to RT -- but it must be from new award space.

If all UA award space, there may be a bit more flexiablity -- but essentially none for partner space.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not combine existing bookings (award or revenue) into a common PNR. If the award space still exist, you can add to an existing award and/or change the award from OW to RT -- but it must be from new award space.

If all UA award space, there may be a bit more flexiablity -- but essentially none for partner space.
You are correct about not being able to combine existing PNRs (though I have done just that in the past).

I was asking about replicating existing OWs into RTs
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Went through two agents (HUACA) over the phone today and was NOT able to book the following in J:

SFO-ICN-REP (stopover)
BKK-SIN(22-hour layover)-MLE
MLE-SIN (10-hour overnight layover)-TPE-SFO

Agent #1 said that SQ has special rules for SIN-MLE and MLE-SIN requiring that to be a separate 80k award in addition to the 120k award from US to Asia because SQ has a monopoly on that route and requires the entire award itinerary to be on SQ from start to finish. So despite J availability for all the above, it couldn't be booked in combination with other *A carriers on the same 120k award.

He also intimated that REP doesn't allow "onward transfer" as you can't fly downstream from it deeper into S Asia on *A - but I said, "isn't that what an open jaw is for" and he concurred - but could that have been the issue? Do you think the surface segment as an open jaw on the way to the destination was throwing the system off?

HUACA

Agent #2 said the system was indicating that the two stopovers in SIN were illegal because they couldn't be >4 hours. She ran it up the flagpole to the leading shift supervisor who confirmed that it's not just for domestic. When we said the rule has always been <24 hours for int'l, they said that they've been changing a bunch of rules as of late.

Last edited by blueheronNC; Dec 14, 2013 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:28 am

Pay extra pts instead of free stopover, dumb move or not?

I know I can use 130k UA miles for :

LAX- KIX- biz class, OZ 777-200L

NRT-HKG -biz

HKG-ICN-JFK - LAX - lst class for one long haul segment of ICN-JFK

However, the NRT to HKG will be on Air Japan 767-300, not that great....

I am wondering about not adding the free stopover of NRT-HKG with UA and spend 20k Avios points on Cathay Pacific from HND- HGK on 747-400 as Cathay Pacific is much nicer and it would be a 5 hour flight.

Smart move or not?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Went through two agents (HUACA) over the phone today and was NOT able to book the following in J:

SFO-ICN-REP (stopover)

Agent #1 said that SQ has special rules for SIN-MLE and MLE-SIN requiring that to be a separate 80k award in addition to the 120k award from US to Asia because SQ has a monopoly on that route and requires the entire award itinerary to be on SQ from start to finish. So despite J availability for all the above, it couldn't be booked in combination with other *A carriers on the same 120k award.

He also intimated that REP doesn't allow "onward transfer" as you can't fly downstream from it deeper into S Asia on *A - but I said, "isn't that what an open jaw is for" and he concurred - but could that have been the issue? Do you think the surface segment as an open jaw on the way to the destination was throwing the system off?

HUACA

Agent #2 said the system was indicating that the two stopovers in SIN were illegal because they couldn't be >4 hours. She ran it up the flagpole to the leading shift supervisor who confirmed that it's not just for domestic. When we said the rule has always been <24 hours for int'l, they said that they've been changing a bunch of rules as of late.
Wow, you're getting a lot of BS from them. Can you book anything close to it online? It sometimes helps to get the framework booked and then call within 24 hours to tweak it for free.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
I know I can use 130k UA miles for :

LAX- KIX- biz class, OZ 777-200L

NRT-HKG -biz

HKG-ICN-JFK - LAX - lst class for one long haul segment of ICN-JFK

However, the NRT to HKG will be on Air Japan 767-300, not that great....

I am wondering about not adding the free stopover of NRT-HKG with UA and spend 20k Avios points on Cathay Pacific from HND- HGK on 747-400 as Cathay Pacific is much nicer and it would be a 5 hour flight.

Smart move or not?
How were you planning to get between KIX and HND/NRT? If you spring for the ticket on CX, why not fly out of KIX or FUK if you want to explore Kyushu?

I personally don't think Air Japan is that bad. It would be better than one of UA's now retired ghetto bird 767s, which I've flown to KOA, except perhaps that there's no Mai Tai served.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by blueheronNC

SFO-ICN-REP (stopover)

HUACA

Not sure you can do the OJ at the SO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.