FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1316366-rules-open-jaw-stopover-award-flights-consolidated.html)

transistorized Feb 20, 12 10:41 pm

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)
 
Hi, can anyone explain to me what exactly qualifies for an Open Jaw flight. I have enough miles to fly from NY to Singapore and then back from Delhi to NY. Will that qualify as an open-jaw return?

The reason I ask is because United only allows free stopovers for return tickets, and if I can get this flight counted as a return flight, I will get to do a stopover either in London or Sydney for free.

I tried calling the award booking phone line and after ~ 15 min wait had to talk to a TechSupport guy who seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, and just told me it cannot be done. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

mduell Feb 20, 12 10:50 pm

The missing leg must be the shortest of the three.

transistorized Feb 20, 12 11:01 pm


Originally Posted by mduell (Post 18053333)
The missing leg must be the shortest of the three.

which is true in this case. The missing Singapore->Delhi leg is the shortest. So, I should call back? Is there any united.com page that explicitly says so? That would give me a lot more leverage when I call back.

WineCountryUA Feb 20, 12 11:40 pm

welcome to FT!, transistorized

United air travel award rules

e) Fly to multiple cities without flying back to where you started (commonly called “open-jaw” travel). Both single- and double–open jaws are allowed.
f) Include one stopover when traveling round trip between regions on roundtrip or open-jaw itineraries; for example, between the continental U.S. and Hawaii, or between the U.S. and the Caribbean, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America, Middle East or Europe). ...

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 18053333)
The missing leg must be the shortest of the three.

beleive they dropped that rule a few years back.

transistorized Feb 20, 12 11:55 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 18053508)
welcome to FT!, transistorized

United air travel award rules

beleive they dropped that rule a few years back.

Hi WineCountryUA, thanks for your help. I will call back and hopefully this time get a CSR who knows what he is talking about.

JayhawkCO Feb 21, 12 12:01 am

I could very well be mistaken, but I believe the reason this is being disallowed is because DEL and SIN are in different regions, so as opposed to this being a North America-South Asia roundtrip award, it's a North-America-South Asia one way followed by a Central Asia-North America one way, hence no stopover allowed. Again, I could be wrong, but I think the open jaw has to be in the same region.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong,

Chris

todorovic Feb 21, 12 1:48 am

Another thing to consider is that SYD stop may take you over 1.15MPM and that would make the itin illegal. You may be OK with LHR stop

dsquared37 Feb 21, 12 2:13 am

OP should note that in Y and F (but not C) the cost of travel to Central Asia is different, and higher than, to S Asia.

mecabq Feb 21, 12 3:20 am


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 18053508)
welcome to FT!, transistorized

United air travel award rules

beleive they dropped that rule a few years back.

No, this is part of the definition of an open jaw, or else GRU-IAD-DME could be an "open jaw." Of course, with the advent of one-way awards, there is less value to open jaws -- one could just book two one-ways for the same price.

I guess the only benefit of a bona fide open jaw is, as the rule you cite points out, that a stop-over would be allowed.

So on two one-way awards, SFO-HKG-SIN and BKK-NRT-SFO, stop-overs wouldn't be allowed, but if it's booked as a single open jaw itinerary -- for which this itinerary would qualify and cost the same as two one-ways -- then the stop-over would be allowed.

Correct?

dsquared37 Feb 21, 12 4:23 am


Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 18054032)
No, this is part of the definition of an open jaw, or else GRU-IAD-DME could be an "open jaw." Of course, with the advent of one-way awards, there is less value to open jaws -- one could just book two one-ways for the same price.

The difference could well be that the example you cite would be charged as a S America - Asia o/w itin.

I've definitely had itins where the o/j was significantly larger than the shortest (which was adjacent) segment. These have occurred in the same region which could also be significant.


Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 18054032)
I guess the only benefit of a bona fide open jaw is, as the rule you cite points out, that a stop-over would be allowed.

That is the main one. The others have to do with change fees (1 itin vs 2).



Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 18054032)
So on two one-way awards, SFO-HKG-SIN and BKK-NRT-SFO, stop-overs wouldn't be allowed, but if it's booked as a single open jaw itinerary -- for which this itinerary would qualify and cost the same as two one-ways -- then the stop-over would be allowed.

Correct?

That is correct.

geeprice Feb 21, 12 4:50 am


Originally Posted by transistorized (Post 18053551)
Hi WineCountryUA, thanks for your help. I will call back and hopefully this time get a CSR who knows what he is talking about.

.
There is no meed to call if you have linked your UA and CO accounts, just move the miles over to CO and you can book it all online. I just did a dummy booking, and for NYC-SIN, DEL-LHR, and LHR-NYC it prices it out correctly at 72,500 miles.

dreamfool Feb 21, 12 11:50 am

Please report back whether you are able to get this booked or not, because I was thinking of doing the same thing but can never really understand the meaning of open jaw either.

transistorized Feb 28, 12 11:20 pm


Originally Posted by dreamfool (Post 18056111)
Please report back whether you are able to get this booked or not, because I was thinking of doing the same thing but can never really understand the meaning of open jaw either.

Hi, sorry about the late reply. I finally called them again and this time I got a very helpful CSR who confirmed that I will be able to book an open-jaw return ticket that will still allow a stopover.

Thanks everyone for your help!

jphripjah Feb 28, 12 11:32 pm


Originally Posted by transistorized (Post 18101240)
Hi, sorry about the late reply. I finally called them again and this time I got a very helpful CSR who confirmed that I will be able to book an open-jaw return ticket that will still allow a stopover.
!

Right, but flying to Singapore and back from Delhi?

sbm12 Feb 29, 12 9:10 pm

FWIW, co.com or a CO phone agent shouldn't have any troubles booking the award as described. It is definitely valid per the system rules.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:16 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.