Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Exclamation New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

*Moderator Edit*
UA Insider has confirmed customers who have requested upgrades prior to 24 hours before the flight, but not cleared, *can* standby at the airport for an upgrade.
:-: :-: :-:

Heads up regarding some changes to GPU & RPU policy for the PMUA folks -- upgrades *must* be requested prior to 24 hours before the flight via reservations and cannot be requested at the airport (however one would assume buy-ups would still be valid.)

On a slightly more positive note, it would also appear the PMCO philosophy of upgrade usage is reaming in that should you clear the non-global upgrade(s) while failing to clear the global upgrade with a GPU (or miles), the GPU (or miles) will be returned to the account.

So in other words if you've requested an upgrade via a GPU for PDX >> IAD >> FRA, and the PDX > IAD flight clears but the IAD > FRA fails to do so, you should get the GPU (or miles) redposited to your account.

Hopefully the new UA will work hard to add this function to SHARES.
Global Premier Upgrade Info per the website:
  • Each Global Premier Upgrade is valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade.
  • Global Premier Upgrades are earned based on flights taken between January 1 and December 31 of the same calendar year.
  • Global Premier Upgrades will be deposited at the time when they are earned, and are valid for travel for twelve months from the date of issue.
  • Global Premier Upgrades may be redeemed at united.com or by contacting United Reservations.[Implication: airport CSRs will not be able to handle upgrade requests.]
  • Global Premier Upgrades are valid on United- or Copa-operated flights.
  • New waitlist requests for Global Premier Upgrades will be acceptable until to 24 hours prior to departure.
  • Global Premier Upgrades are fully transferable and may be used for travel with or without the earning Premier member.
  • In the case of redeposit or cancellation, the Global Premier Upgrade will be returned to the account from which it was taken.
  • In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
  • Global Premier Upgrades are subject to capacity controls, which may limit the number of seats available.
  • Award tickets, flights that have already been upgraded, and certain fares such as industry discount, Hotwire and priceline.com fares, are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades.
  • To be eligible to earn Global Premier Upgrades, members must fly at least four paid flights on United, Continental and/or Copa during a calendar year.
  • The number of MileagePlus award miles, Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned is based on the fare class of the ticket originally purchased, not the upgraded class.
  • Other restrictions may apply. Terms and other information are subject to change without notice.
Regional Premier Upgrade Info per the website:
  • Each Regional Premier Upgrade is valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade.
  • Regional Premier Upgrades are earned based on flights taken between January 1 and December 31 of the same calendar year.
  • Regional Premier Upgrades are deposited at the time when they are earned, and are valid for travel within 12 months from the date of issue.
  • Regional Premier Upgrades may be redeemed at united.com or by contacting United Reservations. [Implication: airport CSRs will not be able to handle upgrade requests.]
  • New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
  • Regional Premier Upgrades are valid on United- or Copa-operated flights.
  • Regional Premier Upgrades are fully transferable and may be used for travel with or without the earning Premier member.
  • In the case of redeposit or cancellation, the Regional Premier Upgrade will be returned to the account from which it was taken.
  • A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown.
  • Regional Premier Upgrades are subject to capacity controls, which may limit the number of seats available.
  • Award tickets, flights that have already been upgraded, and certain fares such as industry discount, Hotwire and priceline.com fares, are not eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades.
  • The number of MileagePlus award miles, Premier qualifying miles and premier qualifying segments earned is based on the fare class of the ticket originally purchased, not the upgraded class
  • To be eligible to earn Regional Premier Upgrades, members must fly at least four paid flights on United or Copa during a calendar year.
  • Other restrictions may apply. Terms and other information are subject to change without notice.

Last edited by J.Edward; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nothing new here, right? Think they changed the "SWU only counts as used if upgraded internationally" 6 months ago or so.

And we know that SHARES is severely limited, yup.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nothing new here, right? Think they changed the "SWU only counts as used if upgraded internationally" 6 months ago or so.
Pretty much, did not recall seeing in writing until I caught it on the pss site.

Either way there are going to be some PMUA folks with the expectation they can request upgrades at the airport who'll be disappointment, to say nothing of folks who're affected by IRROPs and need to re-request upgrades for their new flights.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Careful on that redeposit. As it reads this only seems to apply to international upgrades to to first. So if I buy that PDX-IAD-FRA (done that many times!) in economy and apply a GPU to get into international business and domestic first but the IAD-FRA doesn't clear this seems to not apply and they keep the GPU. Or do you think I am missing something? This would be weird since the exception seems to apply to BizFirst (so PDX-EWR-xxx in economy upgraded to first PDX-EWR but failing EWR-xxx in BizFirst would return the GPU) but not Biz. Confused!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
the SHARES limitations for being unable to request < 24 hours out is unacceptable. Can you imagine someone buying a full Y/C day of and not being able to use a SWU?

The CO brain trust in action...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
If this 24 hour rule means I can't get upgraded in an IRROPS situation, I'm not going to be very happy.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Or do you think I am missing something?
Yes, I do. The policy has been in place a long time and the upgrade is only considered used if the "real" segment clears. If there are two "real" segments (i.e. IAH-HNL-GUM) then it is used if either one clears, but otherwise the UDU-eligible segment clearing doesn't count against you.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Pretty much, did not recall seeing in writing until I caught it on the pss site.
It was written on .bomb for a while now. No surprise that they're keeping the much more customer-friendly policy regarding refunding the not really used GPUs.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Good - then they should rewrite the text to include Biz class. On CO this wasn't an issue because of no 3 class planes but with the new UA it need to be clarified because the current text seems to exclude the 3 class international economy to Biz case.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
The 24 hour rule is a bit

I've even had to convince phone agents that I have already applied a SWU to a reservation (ORD-EWR-FRA), so that they'd clear the SWU for the domestic portion (when R opened) when the international segment had already cleared. This has happened twice within the 24 hour window and they tell me I can't apply the SWU. After they see it's already been applied then it's no big deal as they do not have to reissue.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
If this 24 hour rule means I can't get upgraded in an IRROPS situation, I'm not going to be very happy.
Also, what does this mean for UA-operated codeshare flights, which used to be upgradable only at the gate?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
That was my first through upon seeing this thread.

And seeing as how I've run into international irrops leading to rebooking a couple of times the past year or two, I must say I'd have been plenty disgusted with UA had they said, "Sorry, we can't even try to put in the SWU which had already cleared for you on your original flight, because the protected flight is in less than 24 hours. But, we'd be willing to sell you an upgrade..."
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by PVDProf
Also, what does this mean for UA-operated codeshare flights, which used to be upgradable only at the gate?
Code shares have never been an issue in the CO world like they were for UA... you will be able to upgrade code shares on UA/CO metal on the new UA site no problem.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:54 am

I imagine this applies to using miles for an upgrade as well?

I also hope this is eliminated in a year or whatever it will be until the new system comes online
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:08 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
That was my first through upon seeing this thread.

And seeing as how I've run into international irrops leading to rebooking a couple of times the past year or two, I must say I'd have been plenty disgusted with UA had they said, "Sorry, we can't even try to put in the SWU which had already cleared for you on your original flight, because the protected flight is in less than 24 hours. But, we'd be willing to sell you an upgrade..."
My first thought too.

MANY times I've been re-routed, changed, cancelled and put on alternate flights because of IRROPS...It was nice to get either confirmed in C or F or at least be waitlisted, NOW THEY'RE TELLING US WE CAN'T BE WAITLISTED IF WE HAD A CONFIRMED UPGRADE BECAUSE OF IRROPS?

My signature rings more and more true every day, every announcement.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
MANY times I've been re-routed, changed, cancelled and put on alternate flights because of IRROPS...It was nice to get either confirmed in C or F or at least be waitlisted, NOW THEY'RE TELLING US WE CAN'T BE WAITLISTED IF WE HAD A CONFIRMED UPGRADE BECAUSE OF IRROPS?
+1 I would be majorly upset for IRROPS if I were told that a confirmed upgrade cannot be applied for the new flight. In this case I would kindly but firmly ask to be rebooked in the upgraded class directly if the IRROP is UA fault (e.g. MX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.