Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by zigenbock
If the wait list does not clear, then you will be automatically added to the upgrade list at the 24 hour mark.
I'm about to post something on this in integration thread. Bottom line, THIS NO LONGER WORKS. List did not clear for me, I didn't get on the new one. No one can do anything.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I'm about to post something on this in integration thread. Bottom line, THIS NO LONGER WORKS. List did not clear for me, I didn't get on the new one. No one can do anything.
I would be furious.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ORDFlyer33
PMUA you could walk up to the gate having not been on the upgrade waitlist previously and ask for an upgrade. I have done this many times in the past. Sadly, I guess those days are behind us.
For now - I wouldn't make the assumption that these policies are set in stone and will remain that way.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
International Upgrade Engine Broken

Sorry for starting a new thread -- I'm not 100% sure this is an integration issue (though I'm guessing it is) and that thread's become a bit of a mess.

I had a pretty serious mess up yesterday. Heck, Stevenshev already said I should be furious.

I was on CO131 CDG-IAD, my usual route. I had attempted to use a GPU, but I knew there was only one J seat available, so I wasn't surprised that it didn't clear in advance.

I got the usual email, which said that I'd be placed on the airport list as soon as I checked in. I checked in right at 24 hours.

Later in the day, I checked the upgrade list -- there was only one person, and it wasn't me.

I called the 1K line and the agent was equally surprised. She tried various things, but said she could only see the same list and that the one name "wasn't even a passenger." (I noticed he/she was also on standby for the flight itself, so I'm guessing she meant not revenue. Later in the day there were several such.) She could see the request in my record, however. She was very nice and tried hard, but couldn't fix it.

When I got to the airport, they confirmed that I wasn't on the list, and of course they could do nothing. And indeed, a real list appeared about an hour before departure, showing two pax upgraded. I was still not on it.

I don't know if I the two who made it would have trumped me, but my odds should have been pretty good (1K, booked in Y). My GPU was withdrawn.

I think this is pretty serious. Shannon, I'm takling the liberty of PMing this to you as well, with my locator in case that can help investigate.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:42 am
Suspended

We do know that you can't request at the airport. However, you should automatically go on the waitlist if you don't clear in advance. It has worked for me in the flights I've taken post integration and all ended up clearing at the gate.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-flight.html
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm going to Paris next weekend on official travel. the agency funding my trip asked if I wanted to be booked on United, and I just laughed. Until they get this integration working properly, i'm not going near a United flight that I can't get an upgrade confirmed upon purchase.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
However, you should automatically go on the waitlist if you don't clear in advance. It has worked for me in the flights I've taken post integration and all ended up clearing at the gate.
Yup. Should have happened, but didn't. I have a copy of the list, showing me not on it. May have been just a blip, but a pretty big one, at least for me.

Not trying to argue the 24 hour rule, I know that. Just that it closed a potential avenue to fix the error.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Has anyone gotten a reasonably explanation of why someone can't be added?

They aren't allowed? The software won't allow it? New rules?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:54 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
There have been several reports of pax not being automatically added to the waitlist at T-24/check-in, and of course with the whole CO "can't be added to the international waitlist within 24 hours" fiasco, this leaves pax who had been waitlisted for potentially months left out in the cold.

Couple this with the continued evidence of sales of UFC (TOD domestically, HOD internationally) while pax are still waitlisted with instruments, and we have a bad, bad screw-up going on.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I don't have a fancy phone (don't want one, thank you) that could show me who is who/where on the upgrade list. The only place I can check is on the site. How do I do this? I'm flying Saturday and have SWU applied, but still waitlisted. I do not check in at 24 hour period. I always just go to the airport and do the checking in there (ORD) at the 1K counter.

Are you saying that my 'waitlist' which has been in effect for about 2 months, might not show up on the list?

Advice?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
When I got to the airport, they confirmed that I wasn't on the list, and of course they could do nothing. And indeed, a real list appeared about an hour before departure, showing two pax upgraded. I was still not on it.

I don't know if I the two who made it would have trumped me, but my odds should have been pretty good (1K, booked in Y). My GPU was withdrawn.

I think this is pretty serious. Shannon, I'm takling the liberty of PMing this to you as well, with my locator in case that can help investigate.
As long as you have supported the upgrade with an instrument (GPU or miles), ALL GATE AGENTS should be able to add you to the Upgrade Standby List (which is the list used at the gate to process battlefield upgrades). If the agents told you this wasn't possible, they clearly haven't been trained correctly.

Originally Posted by exerda
There have been several reports of pax not being automatically added to the waitlist at T-24/check-in, and of course with the whole CO "can't be added to the international waitlist within 24 hours" fiasco, this leaves pax who had been waitlisted for potentially months left out in the cold.
The term "waitlist" (with respect to not being able to be added within 24 hours) is only in reference to a "waitlisted" segment on your reservation. At T-24, the "waitlisted" segment expires from your reservation. You should be added to the "Upgrade Standby List" at checkin at your applicable priority. If not, GAs have the ability to add you to the "Upgrade Standby List" (assuming you have a supported upgrade request).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:49 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:12 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cuse44
The term "waitlist" (with respect to not being able to be added within 24 hours) is only in reference to a "waitlisted" segment on your reservation. At T-24, the "waitlisted" segment expires from your reservation. You should be added to the "Upgrade Standby List" at checkin at your applicable priority. If not, GAs have the ability to add you to the "Upgrade Standby List" (assuming you have a supported upgrade request).
(emphasis mine)

The key word being "should."

Certainly seems to not be happening with some degree of regularity, as well as GAs claiming they can't do it or don't know how to do it. In the meantime, between T-24 when one checked in online and the time one sees an agent or a GA at the airport (and gets correctly added to the list), all manner of others may have cleared, may now be ahead on the upgrade standby list (due to being added earlier and having the same status & fare code), may have done UFC, etc.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
OK, I am scared and confused. I have international flight coming up in April that I am currently waitlisted for. I currently feel 100% confused as to what the process is for me to clear that upgrade if it does not clear 24 hours in advance. I am having hard time understanding what the real problem is and how to solve it.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
(emphasis mine)

The key word being "should."

Certainly seems to not be happening with some degree of regularity, as well as GAs claiming they can't do it or don't know how to do it. In the meantime, between T-24 when one checked in online and the time one sees an agent or a GA at the airport (and gets correctly added to the list), all manner of others may have cleared, may now be ahead on the upgrade standby list (due to being added earlier and having the same status & fare code), may have done UFC, etc.
FYI, this use to be the input on CO to be added to the Upg Standby List if you should be on the list and are not.

6:flt num/dateplace-your last name$upg#u
Originally Posted by compwhiz
OK, I am scared and confused. I have international flight coming up in April that I am currently waitlisted for. I currently feel 100% confused as to what the process is for me to clear that upgrade if it does not clear 24 hours in advance. I am having hard time understanding what the real problem is and how to solve it.
If it doesn't clear before T-24, the waitlist will expire and you will transtion to the upgrade standby list. If you aren't transitioned to the upgrade standby list, when you get to the airport, explain that you redemmed an upgrade request and are not showing on the upgrade standby list, and want to be manually added. ALL AGENTS have the ability to add passengers to the upgrade standby list. If they say it can't be done, ask for a supervisor. This isn't a system limitation, it most likely is a training issue.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:53 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.