Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by PVDProf
When talking about the program with my GE interviewer, he suggested that 30% of eligible PreCheck people are denied, basically to keep the terrorists on their toes. I initially thought this was 30% of trips, so I couldn't know ahead of time if I were going to get to use faster security (which diminishes the value of the program: getting to the airport later). But perhaps it's really 30% of eligible people? Anyone had a mixture of success/failure?

My first try is tomorrow, with AS at SEA.
Good luck!

I have only gone through security that one time at PreCheck airport. My next trip out of SEA is on 7/10 but it'll be in the evening and I expect the precheck lane will be closed.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:05 am

But perhaps it's really 30% of eligible people? Anyone had a mixture of success/failure?
I've had success with AA at ORD and LAX, but failed with UA at ORD yesterday.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Checked in a PA T1 ORD.

PreCheck open at 6:00 AM on a Saturday.

Three beeps on the prescreen then three beeps at the document checker.

Whoohoo! I could get used to this.

1 or 1 so far.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

When talking about the program with my GE interviewer, he suggested that 30% of eligible PreCheck people are denied, basically to keep the terrorists on their toes. I initially thought this was 30% of trips, so I couldn't know ahead of time if I were going to get to use faster security (which diminishes the value of the program: getting to the airport later). But perhaps it's really 30% of eligible people? Anyone had a mixture of success/failure?

My first try is tomorrow, with AS at SEA.
If the number and reason you were given is accurate, would make sense to be by trip rather than person. I don't know what is going to keep people on their toes if they know they are going to be selected for pre-check or not every time. Besides, stated procedure is its done by reservation.

On another note, was in CVG yesterday, and TSA agent says pre-check is scheduled to launch there in Sept. with UAs move to the new terminal (well...new to them) and the fact that the priority line is apparently only open for DL use, it should definitely help.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:12 am

Terminal 2 in PHX has some changes. The premier line is now to the far left side of security (before it was to the far right - now that is employee only line). My boarding pass gave the three beeps. I asked the guy about the changes and he said the pre-check is coming. He didn't give a timeframe but he thought it would take a few weeks.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Question

So if you book a trip within 24 hours of departure, or change flights, is there any chance of PreCheck working or are you out or luck?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by rafatmit
So if you book a trip within 24 hours of departure, or change flights, is there any chance of PreCheck working or are you out or luck?
TSA does not disclose the factors that will cause you to be denied or to receive PreCheck for any given flight. So, there's no way of knowing until you get to the airport.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Originally Posted by jackonferry
TSA does not disclose the factors that will cause you to be denied or to receive PreCheck for any given flight. So, there's no way of knowing until you get to the airport.
Thanks. One data point: I changed an award ticket yesterday afternoon and this morning I got the three beeps at ORD. (And wow PreCheck is so awesome. At least compared to the current terrible TSA system.)
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rafatmit
You can book a flight on the way to the airport and get PreCheck.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Tried the PreCheck line at MSP today but my BP wouldn't scan at all. Oh well. Worked like a charm at ORD on Friday.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Couple of days old at this point, but article from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5471691.story
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
3 beebs at LAS two days ago got denied again
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:42 pm

Tried Pre for the first time at ORD T1 this morning. Neither I nor the Mrs. was picked, and it appeared that almost nobody was getting 3 beeps. In fact, only 3 people were sent to the TSA pre screener (one was then denied at the second podium), and everyone else was sent to the regular PA security. Quite a big disappointment.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
Tried Pre for the first time at ORD T1 this morning. Neither I nor the Mrs. was picked, and it appeared that almost nobody was getting 3 beeps. In fact, only 3 people were sent to the TSA pre screener (one was then denied at the second podium), and everyone else was sent to the regular PA security. Quite a big disappointment.
Are you a GE member, or just relying on your 1P status to get Pre-Check?

I understand that you're disappointed, although TSA makes it clear that Pre-Check selection is random, and not something you should always count on getting..
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Ari
You can book a flight on the way to the airport and get PreCheck.
I can confirm that this is true.

Well, actually, I booked a trip two hours from departure from home and then got into a cab to the airport. Worked perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.