Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by gengar
I read paule123's post and Ari's follow-up, so understand that the 3 is now added on after the ticket number. I used a barcode reader on my BP and it shows 016[10digits]3. But I noticed that the same number, including the 3 at the end (so it's 14 digits) is printed in full on the physical boarding pass... is that supposed to happen? We won't need barcode readers anymore if so....
To update my own post regarding the new format BPs and different barcode, I was granted PreCheck at IAH today.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
At DCA, in the USair terminal, you go to Pre security after you wait in the Premier line and hear 3 beeps. 1 beep, and you are thru the xray maching.

In the United terminal, there are devoted Pre and Premier lines. It is annoying to wait in the premier, while all the Pre travelers are denied, and then skip the longer Premier line.

As stated up thread, since there really is no way to know ahead of time, why not just queue up in the line, hoping for hte best??

I am usually content just to get in the Premier line.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Michilander
So where is the Pre line? Is it to the right side where the premier line has been until now?
Yes, The elite line has been shifted to the left of the PreCheck line. There is a gate between the lines so someone not getting the 3 beeps can join the regular queues. This afternoon the TSA had a number of people stationed at the line to explain the process. In and out in 30 seconds. Nice! Wish TSA would put one in Austin.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
There's a big todo at SFO about the precheck today at the UA lane anyways, I am super stoked they got it there as the lines even for premium could often be absurd and I got the 3 happy beeps.
They had a whole gaggle of TSA suits plus a bunch of media people there filiming ( OMG can you believe it!!?!?! None of them got threatened with arrest as far as I could see though). The precheck took much longer than usual though, since while there was only one person ahead of me for the TDC check they were spending an inordinate amount of time explaining precheck to everyone and the guy who was at the TDC when I walked up was complaining that while he had signed up he wasn't getting the 3 beeps, this brought over the suits. Then had to dodge the film crew who wanted to interview people (ironically enough this was "interfering" with my process through the security checkpoint), so in all the process too like 90 seconds as opposed to the usual 30.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Construction is underway at the CLE C gates checkpoint to add a Pre-Check lane. The TSA agent manning the exit lane confirmed it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:01 pm
21A

Originally Posted by gengar
I read paule123's post and Ari's follow-up, so understand that the 3 is now added on after the ticket number. I used a barcode reader on my BP and it shows 016[10digits]3. But I noticed that the same number, including the 3 at the end (so it's 14 digits) is printed in full on the physical boarding pass... is that supposed to happen? We won't need barcode readers anymore if so....
I think the 14th digit in UA's format is a check digit, not a segment number (so it'll be the same on all segments of the same ticket). It sounds like in your case it happened that the check digit was also 3, which would be a coincidence unrelated to PreCheck. I don't have a boarding pass on hand to test this with, but it would be good to verify that on a BP where the ticket number check digit didn't happen to be 3, you still get either 3 or 0 in that position (in other words, that's still the PreCheck digit position, and not the 14th digit of the ticket number).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Agree. GE costs $20 a year. Even for a kettle that flies once or twice a year it is still worth it compared to the cost of checking a bag, getting to and from the airport, renting a car, etc. I just enrolled my two college aged kids who also happen to travel around Thanksgiving and Christmas and they are ecstatic with the option of using precheck in the future.
+1

My wife and son flew with me recently. They got stuck in long security lines both ways. My wife got the extended swabbing for explosives on the way out. I was 2/2 on precheck.

Both have applied for GE and their review/approval appointments will be in the next 2 weeks.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
Is it confirmed that the SFO PreCheck line closes at 6PM along with the rest of the elite line checkpoint? If so, this is a major negative! If I'm going beyond the West Coast, I'm almost always on a redeye

Next flight is Tuesday, so I'll do some research into this and if it's true try to find out if there's any plan to improve the situation going forward.

Last edited by BOISJC744; Nov 15, 2012 at 4:25 pm Reason: more info
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BOISJC744
Is it confirmed that the SFO PreCheck line closes at 6PM along with the rest of the elite line checkpoint? If so, this is a major negative! If I'm going beyond the West Coast, I'm almost always on a redeye

Next flight is Tuesday, so I'll do some research into this and if it's true try to find out if there's any plan to improve the situation going forward.
About to check this out.. I'll know in the next 10 minutes or so

Edit:
And the answer is closed at 6 which means the elite line and Precheck at sfo continues to be totally useless to me since I attempt to get a full day of work in before flying

Last edited by jasonvr; Nov 15, 2012 at 7:51 pm
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
+1

My wife and son flew with me recently. They got stuck in long security lines both ways. My wife got the extended swabbing for explosives on the way out. I was 2/2 on precheck.

Both have applied for GE and their review/approval appointments will be in the next 2 weeks.
You don't need the GE interview for Precheck. Once you are conditionally approved then you get a number and you can use it for Precheck.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jackal
There is no way to "guarantee" you will get PreCheck. However, if you have Global Entry, entering your PASS ID number in your reservation is likely to provide the highest selection rate out of the two methods of qualifying for PreCheck.
I have Global Entry, and have entered my PASS ID number into my UA profile. After doing so, I received the famed 3 beeps on the next three flights (unfortunately, only 1 of which was at a Pre-Check airport).

Earlier this week, I was at MCO and saw that they had a dedicated Pre-Check line next to the Premier line. I didn't quite understand how this was supposed to work, since they make it very clear that Pre-Check may not happen for every flight, even if you are enrolled and approved, and that there's no way to tell prior to getting to the checkpoint if you're approved for that flight (other than using a barcode decoder).

At the Pre-Check line, I got only a single beep, along with a lecture that Pre-Check was separate from Premier Access and that I was in the wrong line. I explained that I fully understood the difference between the two, and that I was enrolled/approved in Pre-Check and had gotten the 3 beeps before. Their answer was basically to take it up with UA as they have no control over what's printed in the barcode.

Separate from whatever specific issue prevented me from getting 3 beeps on my last flight, how are these dedicated Pre-Check lanes supposed to work if a) you get no notification from UA or TSA that you're enrolled/approved, and b) even if enrolled/approved, you may not get the 3 beeps on any particular flight?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: UA *G MM
In my limited experience, you can cut the line if you don't get the three beeps. At least that's the case for DEN and DCA. I suppose it can be abused by crafty people who aren't eligible.

I suppose it's fair enough, since a Pre-Check passenger is expecting fast clearance.

The dimwitted TSA personnel seem to have no idea that otherwise eligible people may not be eligible on a given day due to whatever reason including their own claim to make people ineligible randomly.

Originally Posted by Steve M

Separate from whatever specific issue prevented me from getting 3 beeps on my last flight, how are these dedicated Pre-Check lanes supposed to work if a) you get no notification from UA or TSA that you're enrolled/approved, and b) even if enrolled/approved, you may not get the 3 beeps on any particular flight?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have precheck through United. I am flying Delta this weekend, anyway my boarding pass will pick-up my precheck status?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dlwalt
I have precheck through United. I am flying Delta this weekend, anyway my boarding pass will pick-up my precheck status?
Nope.

You either need to qualify via DL or input a PASS ID (Nexus, GE, etc.) number, if you have one, into the SecureFlight information of your DL reservation.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Steve M
At the Pre-Check line, I got only a single beep, along with a lecture that Pre-Check was separate from Premier Access and that I was in the wrong line. I explained that I fully understood the difference between the two, and that I was enrolled/approved in Pre-Check and had gotten the 3 beeps before. Their answer was basically to take it up with UA as they have no control over what's printed in the barcode.
The answer to the TSA question is, Yes i know the difference between premier and pre-check. Put a scanner at the beginning of the line so i dont waste both of our time by guessing if i'm going to clear today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.