Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
... some Bailey's can probably fix any problems here...
Strong suggestion. And whatever bourbon is available isn't a terrible fall-back
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Flyertalkers are slipping...

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:17 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Trying to recover from the recent "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach.

Still, if it's better it'll be grounds for modest celebration.
Originally Posted by cyborg
I will celebrate if they get the right bean, right roast and of course, the right grind. :-)
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Amazed that no one else caught your pun!
Originally Posted by cyborg
That's the problem with this board nowadays...
The fact that a couple of you did really perks me up.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:06 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Good news. Even Starbucks was better than the they serve now.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2012 at 10:17 am Reason: language
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
lol, only on FT does a thread about coffee have 4 pages posted within only a few hours. That said, I have been boycotting UA's new coffee (maybe this was UA's plan all along to save $ as less coffee is consumed as I would frequently have refills on PMUA's delicious Starbucks). Agreed that Freshpoo is abysmal. Here's hoping that the new blend is better, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, FWIW, I thought the article the OP mentioned was very well-written, insightful, and informative.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AA PLT
I have a morning flight on 3/3 so not only do I get to see what happens post-integration but I also get to try the new coffee! What could go wrong?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
lol, only on FT does a thread about coffee have 4 pages posted within only a few hours. That said, I have been boycotting UA's new coffee (maybe this was UA's plan all along to save $ as less coffee is consumed as I would frequently have refills on PMUA's delicious Starbucks). Agreed that Freshpoo is abysmal. Here's hoping that the new blend is better, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, FWIW, I thought the article the OP mentioned was very well-written, insightful, and informative.
I do also love the FT obsession with all matters, both trivial and not.

I have been boycotting UAs new coffee as well, especially the foul instant decaf. I have decided instead of merely caffeine avoidance, I will cost them money by counter-caffeine alcohol in the Bailys.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Frosty1
I don't understand why anyone thinks that StarBucks coffee is so great. It is way over priced and taste worst than Cajan coffee.
I bet that all of those who think it is so good would throw a wild fix if their Wine taste like that stuff does.
Real coffee should be like a very fine wine smooth, lite and mellow. The reason for the burnt bitter taste of airline coffee is the amount used to make a pot. the coffee sellers want you to use lots of coffee to make a cup or pot so they can sell more of the coffee grounds.
It isn't as good as Dunkin or Tim Hortons.

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

The trick it thread has had 100+ pages in a hour.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2012 at 10:18 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Boy, you guys are passionate about your coffee.

I'm not a coffee person, but I overheard one of the FAs during a recent flight offer up one of her personal stash of VIA instant coffee to the captain.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fredd
The fact that a couple of you did really perks me up.
+ 1

Too busy to read yesterday....I don't drink Coffee...my grounds still solid.[s]
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Meh... just bring your own

This is why I bring my own tea and SBUX Via instant coffee. Either is going to be far better than what the airline has to offer. It's easier on the FAs too.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I think it's somewhat a good sign that they went through the effort of some analysis and are changing the coffee based on customer input.

Now as for whether this will make people happy? Not so sure.

I'm sure that us coffee snobs will be unhappy, but is that where the bar should be set for UA? I think there's an argument that the standard *should* be the supposedly crappy coffee from Dunkin' Donuts. BTW, I find DD very drinkable as standard American coffee goes and would be satisfied if UA could do as well at 30,000 feet.

I noticed that Starbucks has created lighter roasts. I wonder how these compare to the Fresh Brew Kova?

Regarding the flight attendant testing, I'd like to anger 90% of them and say that I bet that 90% of them don't know good coffee from bad. And here's why they shouldn't be angry: 90% of Americans don't know good coffee from bad. I think even 80% of the people at Startbucks don't know good coffee from bad.

BTW, along the same lines, I like milk with my coffee. However, I find that when I ask for milk, the flight attendant seems to always bring me coffee that is 20% milk. This is crazy! Apparently, I must be unusual in only wanting a little milk with my coffee. And yes, I've tried asking for "just a little milk".

BTW, I also think the fact that I take milk points to a potential solution: it's easy to make darker roasts acceptable to those who like lighter roasts - just add more milk/cream/fat. It's impossible to make light roasts acceptable to those who like dark roasts. Therefore, I assert that UA should err to the side of darker roasts.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by LAX
Wait & don't get too excited, yet! It's still "Fresh Poo (oops, I mean Brew)."

LAX
I too don't have really high hopes for this. BBYOC on UA.

Originally Posted by BH62
Yesss, let's petition UA/CO to install Clover machines!
Now THIS would be a change I'd like.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On SFO-BOS today one fella in F brought coffee for the FAs to brew and share with the rest of the cabin. Pretty bad when folks bring their own coffee to brew.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by lensman

Regarding the flight attendant testing, I'd like to anger 90% of them and say that I bet that 90% of them don't know good coffee from bad. And here's why they shouldn't be angry: 90% of Americans don't know good coffee from bad. I think even 80% of the people at Startbucks don't know good coffee from bad.
I'd say that 100% of people at Starbucks don't know good coffee from bad. It's pretty much true by definition.

Nah, seriously though, even I'll drink at Starbucks if I'm in an unfamiliar place and don't know where to find good coffee. I'm a low-grade coffee snob, which means that I'd rather drink Starbucks than have a caffeine withdrawl headache. I have friends who are the other way around, though, and will take the headache over the Starbucks.

Anyway, like you say it's unrealistic to expect airline coffee to be truly satisfactory to coffee snobs (or airline wine to be satisfactory to wine snobs, or airline cheese to be satisfactory to cheese snobs). The airline isn't gonna spend five bucks a cup for delicious Ethiopian single-origin monkey-picked coffee which will only be appreciated by 1% of the flying public. So I don't expect a *good* (by my pointlessly high standards) cup of coffee on a plane, but I'd appreciate one which at least tastes vaguely coffee-like. I find it hard to believe the new one won't at least be an improvement over the old one.

In the meantime, my workaround is tea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.