Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Sounds like UA/CO will debut a new coffee on 3/1:
On Mar. 1, United will launch its new new coffee. Again, it’s a Fresh Brew blend, Kova, but a medium roast rather than a light roast. And it will come in a slightly larger pillow pack—2.5 ounces rather than 2.25—to ensure a stronger brew. Pineau-Boddison considered replacing the old United brew baskets, but she thinks the new coffee will be a faster fix. Asked whether this just means coffee drinkers on legacy Continental planes will be complaining that their coffee is too strong, she points out that this time the airline tested the coffee inflight, in legacy United and Continental planes. The response has been good. Still, she is holding her breath. “I got an e-mail from someone recently that said, ‘It’s not rocket science,’” she says, “and I thought, no, it’s a little bit of rocket science.”
http://www.businessweek.com/printer/...-02022012.html
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Trying to recover from the recent "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach.

Still, if it's better it'll be grounds for modest celebration.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLATINUM EXEC! Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, no more united, National Emerald Exec
New Coffee on 3/1! HA!

I'll believe it when I taste it....5 bucks says they simply double up on the existing pouches.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teramiles
I'll believe it when I taste it....5 bucks says they simply double up on the existing pouches.
Sounds like an easy 5 bucks!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I wonder if a single consumer has had a chance to do a taste test yet, or if they're still relying on employees and the finely tuned palette of $misek
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I wonder if a single consumer has had a chance to do a taste test yet, or if they're still relying on employees and the finely tuned palette of $misek
Employees are still consumers. Flight Attendants and Pilots probably drink more of the stuff than anyone else.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I wish they would brew whatever Southwest has.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Wait, so you're calling the article a lie??

she points out that this time the airline tested the coffee inflight, in legacy United and Continental planes.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:34 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Wait & don't get too excited, yet! It's still "Fresh Poo (oops, I mean Brew)."

LAX
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
Since they dumped SBUX's, whatever they have been serving is not coffee
Let's see what they actual change to. BTW...it's not "just the coffee" its the machine also....spend the $$$ and upgrade the machines.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:39 pm

Flight attendant today said after it brews she puts the pack in the carafe to steep a little more. The coffee wasn't as bad as Delta's.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLATINUM EXEC! Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, no more united, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Sounds like an easy 5 bucks!
Happily paid just to see the puckered face of someone willing to drink that grease-trap freeze-dried!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I wish they would brew whatever Southwest has.
Agree with this. WN has good coffee. Certainly better than any other carrier currently.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
So basically, it's the same coffee, roasted lighter and brewed marginally stronger.

Some interesting tidbits from the article:

"The vice-president in charge of food services at United is a slim, chipper woman named Sandra Pineau-Boddison. She considers herself a coffee enthusiast “only if you count mochas as true coffee.”"
So basically the person calling the shots doesn't like, know or appreciate coffee. Brilliant!

By mid-2011 there was a front-runner: a lighter roast Fresh Brew blend called Journeys. It was cheaper than the old United’s Starbucks, and it did better in the taste tests. When colleagues outside the beverage committee were asked to weigh in, they concurred. The new United’s chief executive officer, Jeff Smisek, dropped by the food services floor for a cup and signed off on it. Journeys was served at a meeting of the company officers to general approval. Just to be sure, food services took the new blend on the road, to Washington Dulles, Chicago O’Hare, Denver, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, asking flight attendants to try it. Out of the 1,100 who did, all but eight approved. “We thought this was a home run,” says Pineau-Boddison.
This is so laughable it's pathetic. Of course employees are going to "approve" of the coffee already chosen by their higher-ups. Pul-lease.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Freshpoo II is going to be every bit as horrendous and undrinkable as Freshpoo I.

Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
... some Bailey's can probably fix any problems here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.