Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Midwest/Northeast Snowstorm 20/21 Jan and effect on UA operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest/Northeast Snowstorm 20/21 Jan and effect on UA operations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA
I was about to start my first MR tomorrow this year. The first leg BWI to SFO was cancelled. They rebooked the first leg automatically on Sunday without doing anything for the rest of flights. I ended up cancelling the whole MR. My first ever MR last year was cancelled too thanks to Irene.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by mhnadel
It appears that UA/CO has cancelled everything in and out of DCA starting at about 6 tonight.

Given that we are expecting about 0.3 inches of ice starting after midnight, that seems a bit extreme for proactive cancellations.
This.

I've got a good one for everyone. I was originally scheduled to fly XNA-IAH-DCA today, with IAH-DCA on CO1499 which was 5:55pm dept, 9:46pm arrival. So I notice just after noon central today that it was canceled and I was rebooked in Y for the 7:20am Saturday IAH-DCA.

Now, my first call to the CO elite line was downright laughable -- this must be the CO irrops experience I keep hearing about. The Salt Lake City based agent literally said, "well you're rebooked tomorrow, I can't do anything". I hung up, spent some time on my laptop to try and find alternatives and called back. This agent was a bit better and actually did try to find another way home for me, but when it became clear that AAnother AAirline was my only option, she said she couldn't do it. (Really?) Luckily I got to XNA and the contract workers there are very used to dealing with cancellations and were able to get me on AA for XNA-DFW-DCA.

So here is the really good part: (tl;dr can start here) I am now on AA1670 which is supposed to arrive in DCA at nearly _exactly_ the same time my original CO flight was. Yes, I gave up my confirmed seat in F for a middle in AA Y because COUA felt like over-proactively canceling flights. Terrible.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Arrived into DCA on AA around 10:15 with barely any precipitation falling. It's gotten worse in the NoVA area over the past 2 hours, but looking at the Reagan arrivals screen (http://www.metwashairports.com/net/d...vals.aspx?t=ra) shows flights have been arriving regularly.

Yes, CO/UA could have operated their _entire_ DEN/ORD/IAH-DCA schedule today instead of canceling everything after 4pm.

Gross.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by hooterbif
When I asked CO/UA to make good on their contract with me, they said that they would only consider whatever "award" seats were being made available to them. For a pre-emptive business-case cancellation, I expect more.
Did you see seat availability on alternative UACO flights, and were told you no as they were award tickets?

If so, that's appalling.

If you accepted the offer of reroute on US, I'm not sure why you're complaining to us.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hooterbif
The vast majority (~95%) of "Cancelled" flights are Continental, Copa, and United.
United is the major carrier at EWR. Now as someone on a preemptively cancelled flight I wish I had been informed. Never got an email or push notice from my app. Didn't know my flight was cancelled until I went to check in and saw a different flight.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
My PHL-SFO-BOI trip today was canceled yesterday at about 1PM. At first I was able to rebook though ORD, but then that was canceled also, so I finally called an agent and just canceled the whole trip since it was a one day turn around. I am furious, as this is quite a minor storm!
So is this the new procedure for UA? Cancel every possible flight when there is any amount of snow forecast? If, so it's going to be a long winter!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold
Hello folks,

Currently in EWR on a baby mileage run IAH-EWR-PVD same day return. Although nothing's cancelled yet, would it be worth seeing if I could just skip the PVD segments and still receive credit? I'm guessing not, but curious if anyone else has done that.

Thanks!

Last edited by GoPUBoilers; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by coolcoil
My BWI-ORD was cancelled tonight, with nothing available until first thing Sunday morning. The good news is that the Palmer House accepted my last- minute cancellation with no fee and I get 2 nights at home.
My Friday ORD-BWI was cancelled just prior to my boarding my 1:39PM SBN-ORD flight (my Friday 5:30PM SBN-ORD had been cancelled Thurs evening). Instead of driving to ORD I turned around rented a oneway and drove from SBN to BWI. It wasn't bad until I came out of Breezewood and hit snow the from Town Hill all the way to Baltimore. Left at 1:30 arrived home at 1:30AM. 13 hour trip, just lucky I had 4WD on the rental :-)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Departed JFK this morning at 6 am to SFO; it was snowing pretty good and sticking. We were delayed about 20 minutes to get de-iced, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm now in IAH about to board my flight back to LGA and everything looks good (knocking wood).
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Did you see seat availability on alternative UACO flights, and were told you no as they were award tickets?

If so, that's appalling.
There was plenty of availability.

Originally Posted by jjclancy
If you accepted the offer of reroute on US, I'm not sure why you're complaining to us.
I am not complaining to you but rather adding documentation to this forum so others might benefit from it in the future.

I accepted the US routing because I was told that I had no other choice.

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
United is the major carrier at EWR. Now as someone on a preemptively cancelled flight I wish I had been informed. Never got an email or push notice from my app. Didn't know my flight was cancelled until I went to check in and saw a different flight.
I never got a phone call or email, even though I am registered for flight updates and the original segments were on United metal.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 22, 2012 at 8:53 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.