Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United.com Now Showing All-In Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:07 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
United.com Now Showing All-In Fares

As of this afternoon, united.com is now showing fares INCLUDING taxes. ^

Was looking at fares yesterday and figured I'd just book today, but was surprised to see everything go up sharply overnight...After clicking through, I saw that the fares displayed in the search area are the same as the final total when you go to check out.

I checked similar on continental.com, and they're NOT showing things all-in yet. A EWR-LGA search showed $331, then another $20 in taxes on top of it.

I recall reading where this was becoming law at some point...But it's nice to see it without having to go through the extra steps to see what the ticket will truly cost--especially on international tix where the taxes vary so greatly.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jan 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm Reason: I guess I was first to the party with this info!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
^ ^ If this sticks it would be great.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I believe they now (or starting sometime this month) are required to do so by the US Gov't. I remember UA's marketing campaign a few years back about quoting UA insisting that they would advertise their fares as roundtrips (rather than "one-way based on r/t basis") as they told consumers it wasn't fair to quote something misleading. Since other airlines didn't follow suit, UA went back to their old ways unfort.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Correct, the new DOT rules go into enforcement next week, UA is just ahead of the game. While I understand both sides of the argument and see the airlines' point of view, this is still a change that I am very happy about.

Understanding airfares no longer up in the air
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
This confused me for a minute as well. Although I initially just thought that there was an overnight jump in the fare I was looking at. Good thing it was not a jump, just a change to include taxes. ^
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This is one "interference" by the government I fully agree with. Thanks to UA for implementing it a little early even though UA.bomb is going away soon.

CO.com has not been updated yet.

-RM
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by denCSA
Correct, the new DOT rules go into enforcement next week, UA is just ahead of the game. While I understand both sides of the argument and see the airlines' point of view, this is still a change that I am very happy about.

Understanding airfares no longer up in the air
Yup ^ (and I'm amazed that the Bomb programmers not only got it right but got it in ahead of time )
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, the united.com award booking engine has shown all-in prices for quite a while now. I remember the mileage price points coming up as "25,000 miles & 5.00" even for a Miles award (not Miles & Money).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is one "interference" by the government I fully agree with. Thanks to UA for implementing it a little early even though UA.bomb is going away soon.

CO.com has not been updated yet.

-RM
Just wondering, do you think restaurants should include sales tax prices in their menu items?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Just wondering, do you think restaurants should include sales tax prices in their menu items?
No, but they should include their 9/11 fees.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
And their cooking oil surcharges.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stevenshev
And their cooking oil surcharges.
+ 1 -- the issue with air travel is there was no common rule for the delta between the price with or without "taxes & fees."

Traditionally most purchases such as restaurants, etcetera, were clear -- Sales tax is add. Service charge / tip (in the USA) usually is optional except for large groups.

On the internet it is getting fuzzy since sales taxes may or may not be included and there may or may not be a shipping fee.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:31 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies

Maybe, maybe not. But I know when I look at the menu, that $10 sandwich is going to cost me $10.60 in Michigan, with a flat 6% added on.

With the airlines, who knows...Some tix are $40-ish, some are $20-ish. Tix to London have this amount, tix to Shanghai have that amount.

I've gotta agree, I don't like the government sticking their snouts in much, but this one is good.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I've gotta agree, I don't like the government sticking their snouts in much, but this one is good.
+1

And strangely some tickets at Co.com and United.com recently would have different fares, different fees, and the same all-in cost. All the games did was waste my time.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I personally am glad to see all in pricing back. If I do remember correctly, United.com used to display pricing like this a few years ago, and was one of the last major carriers to show it like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.