Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reward Booking CGN-FRA on LH (rail connection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver

Has anybody ever booked a reward reservation to CGN connecting through FRA using the LH flight numers on the DB Rail? I tried the CO desk and they cannot find any of the LH Rail connections via Frankfurt.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
My guess would be that you can't do it because CO is not partners with DB, and this is not considered an express type flight (e.g., Skywest with the real airline's code).

Generally speaking, the airline whose miles you're using has to be a partner with the carriers involved in the ticket.

That said, CO does have a history of not keeping up with flight range changes for partners of partners, so you may want to check the ANA or AC site or call UA for a second opinion. If they have it, CO should be able to get it.

Alternatives may be to fly to DUS instead, or try to find a flight through another gateway (e.g., LH flies CGN-MUC in addition to other places like TXL; BD flies CGN-LHR, OS/LH CGN-VIE, etc.), or buying a train ticket FRA-CGN which can be relatively inexpensive.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver
I was trying to improve my chances on getting the new LH F which I don't think they have started to install yet on the A330s, only the A340-600 which fly from JFK-FRA. If I do that I'd have to fly JFK-FRA-MUC-CGN which I was trying to avoid, but seeing the LH FCT might be worth it.

So the DB rail is not available through a *A award, bummer.

Last edited by NYC2TheWorld; Dec 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm Reason: Checked ANA and AC sites
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
There is award availability on these "flights" - you need to make sure the agent is entering the code for the cologne train station - QKL, and not that for the cologne airport - CGN.
Have done this many times and even booked in on co.com (by searching for CGN), though the destination (or arrival) field is blank when relating to the train station.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AviationFreak
There is award availability on these "flights" - you need to make sure the agent is entering the code for the cologne train station - QKL, and not that for the cologne airport - CGN.
Have done this many times and even booked in on co.com (by searching for CGN), though the destination (or arrival) field is blank when relating to the train station.
You were right! Now I get to experience the FCT in Frankfurt and DB Business class thanks for your assistance!!!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Yes, for those routes via DB, award ticketing is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.