Search

Making sense of booking and fare codes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Making sense of booking and fare codes

Hi everyone,
Bare with me... I'm about to qualify for Premier for the first time and I'm trying to sort through all the information out there.

First: I have a ton of travel coming up in February and March, and I'd like to book those tickets now. Will I still qualify for upgrades in February if I book those flights today? I won't fly my 25,000th mile until Dec. 27.

Second: Usually I book my flights through the American Express website, but in the past I've been burned by flights at discount fare codes that didn't qualify for mileage bonuses. From reading around the web, it seems those fares wouldn't have qualified for upgrades either. As far as I can tell, I can't figure out what the fare code is until after I've booked the flight. Now that I'll be Premier, do I need to be careful about this kind of thing? Is it bennificial to book my flights through United.com directly?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If those flights are domestic upgrade eligible, of course you will - to make sure you show up as a Premier (now Silver), may want to delete and re-enter your FFN once you do get the status.

Always best to book directly with the airline as opposed to 3rd party booking sites. And all domestic fares earn 100% mileage of the miles flown (you get 500 mile min even on routes less than that, also 50% bonus for pricey YB and F fares)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.