Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Million Miler companion benefit

To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
I think that won't work. If he selects your sister for his companion, her status won't go into effect until Jan 1, 2019, so no help for her on the TPAC flight.
Not as I understand it. You say your husband "just made" MM and if so he can designate a companion with immediate effect (which could be your sister). It would seem the change for 2019 would depend on who he designates in November as his new companion for 2019 (which could be you). (I'd suggest he designate your sister today so it is done in October.)

Edited to add: Just noticed that while I was typing Xyzzy came to the same conclusion.)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I think that won't work. If he selects your sister for his companion, her status won't go into effect until Jan 1, 2019, so no help for her on the TPAC flight.
Not true. I just hit 1MM in October and selected my wife as the companion, within 48 hours her status was updated to match mine.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by drowelf
Not true. I just hit 1MM in October and selected my wife as the companion, within 48 hours her status was updated to match mine.
I stand corrected.

Happy it's working better now than the last time I made a change. Progress from UA's systems department!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I stand corrected.

Happy it's working better now than the last time I made a change. Progress from UA's systems department!
Status has been given almost immediately upon application for the last few years..
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I stand corrected.

As I recall, there was/is a difference between a NEW MM adding their companion and CHANGING companions, so maybe you got caught in the change process before. When I made MM, my companion designation took effect almost instantly (or at least so fast that I can't remember how long it took!).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:48 am

All - I tried registering my companion today (brand new MM). It lets me put the number in but then says I'm not eligible. How long does the system usually take before you can utilize the companion benefit?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:16 am

From my experience, it should be available as soon as your Mileage Plus account reflects you've flown the millionth mile.

Usually (in my experience, although this may have changed) the posting of the millionth mile on United at also triggers an e-mail to you welcoming you to the status and according whatever benefits they still give for making MM.

However, you can always call Mileage Plus and do it that way.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
From my experience, it should be available as soon as your Mileage Plus account reflects you've flown the millionth mile.

Usually (in my experience, although this may have changed) the posting of the millionth mile on United at also triggers an e-mail to you welcoming you to the status and according whatever benefits they still give for making MM.

However, you can always call Mileage Plus and do it that way.
Thanks! It works now!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Originally Posted by sgfood
It passes down the chain. I've been 1MM for a number of years so made my wife my companion. Two years ago she became MM on her own and made out eldest daughter her companion;

For the past two years I've been Platinum, making my wife Platinum, even though she has only hit Gold each year. My daughter is also Platinum from me through my wife even though she has no other status.

Each get sent the Platinum package, though no drink vouchers or 2 RPU credited.
in violation of the #2 rule to not talk about chain status - Has anyone else confirmed / or disproved the status pass through from a MM through a second MM flyer?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Has anybody ever successfully been able to change the MM companion after the Nov 30 deadline? Wasn't paying attention and missed the deadline and called the 1K desk and they said they can't do it right now because credentials for companions are being made... but supposedly once the credentials are received they can be returned to UA and then the companion can be changed? Hmmmm... sounds like this may belong in the whopper thread lol.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Good luck
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Slurve30
...once the credentials are received they can be returned to UA and then the companion can be changed? Hmmmm... sounds like this may belong in the whopper thread lol.
Once the companion has the status 1 February 2019, it is his/hers until 1 February 2020. Any hope you have is getting an agent to make an exception to the rules before then.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
First nomination happens fairly quickly. If you change before November 30 the companion status will change on January 1 and will not change without the million-miler designating someone else. If before November 30 the old companion is officially supposed to lose status on December 31. That is what happened to my daughter when I nominated my wife.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Million miler companion

I want to remove my companion in 2019.... just realized the cutoff has passed - Nov 30th.

Is there any possible way to change this or is it officially a set deal for 2019 now?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I want to remove my companion in 2019.... just realized the cutoff has passed - Nov 30th.

Is there any possible way to change this or is it officially a set deal for 2019 now?
I removed a companion in December a couple of years ago. I think the problem is trying to change companions (remove and add a different one) after November 30th. No harm in calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.