Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best United Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
Compare this to say, the LH lounges in FRA or the old NW lounge in NRT. Sadly awful to say the least.
Why do people insist on comparing the LH FCT in FRA to all other lounges? It's an entire terminal dedicated to F and it's their hub. They had to build a world-class lounge with a restaurant and transportation to your flight, valet, concierge, etc. Also, as it's a terminal and apart from FRA, you really have to go out of your way to get there. It's not that easy if connecting, and not everyone gains access, unlike other lounges in *A. My point is it's like comparing a continent to an island. They're providing two completely different experiences and no one ever sad the latter would measure up to the former.

That said, I've been to the LH FCT and it is nice, no question. However, IMHO LH falls short in onboard catering compared with other carriers so making up for it on the ground will never be more than a break-even. So long as a lounge has champagne, I'm happy. If not, I don't consider it to be a FCL.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Even the much-raved-about SQ Silver Kris lounge in SIN and the OZ lounge in ICN offers less food options.
The SQ lounge in SIN T3, the one that doesn't let *G members in, just SQ J/F passengers has a huge buffet for J, and a to-order menu for F. You are saying UA in HKG is better? No way.

Even the shared SQ/*G lounges in T2 and T1 have more food then the UA lounge in HKG.

IF you are comparing it to the T3 SQ*G only lounge then I can see a valid comparison.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Silver
My int'l flying is limited so only been to ORD, IAH, IAD, JFK, LAX and SFO--but out of those, the SFO IFL is definitely the best. ORD B18 is the nicest domestic I've been to. Non-UA lounges, I've only used the *A lounges at LHR and FRA. Neither were that spectacular either, although YMMV.

But it really depends what you want in a lounge. I hardly ever go for the food; it's equally crappy regardless of PC or RCC or city. I try to eat before/after, and use the WiFi & "quiet area" in the lounges. Some are too crowded to be useful (looking at you LAX). I'm not there to get stuffed; considering their penchant for pre-packaged and greasy food, I'd be likely to die of a heart attack if I had to rely on United for my sustenance. But I'll take their free Internet & very nice staff when I need assistance.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Call me crazy but I think all UA Clubs in hubs should be like maple leaf lounges. Chips, salads, soups and they're all delicious. Also, I'm all for bartenders but if I want a club soda, I kinda feel like it would be much easier to have a fridge with cans.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Favorite domestic lounge is LAX, with the tie breaker over ORD B18 being the amazing customer service from Bruce and his colleagues, plus the semi-waiter service done by the contractor that handles the bar/cleaning. I also really like the local bar vibe it has, as opposed to hiding the bar like so many clubs do. It just needs to be half-again larger and get the old UA snacks back (I'd love for it to be like the Koru Club in T2, but I'm not holding out hope)

Internationally, I too love the HKG lounge. Great staff, great showers, good food selection.

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
on the same theme: Anywhere where the CO or US lounge is better than the RCC?
US lounges at PHX are certainly larger than the RCC, though you would find it tough cross-utilizing because of the terminal change issue.

PHL's US lounges are better than the RCC, though I prefer the DCA RCC to the DCA US Club.

The RCC at Terminal A in EWR is better than the PC in the same terminal.

The LGA RCC is better than the PC, but landside.

The LAX RCC is much, much nicer than the PC.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Thanks..

I am surprised to see so many people have experienced the IFL when the access is so limited (F on TATL/TPAC/TCONT) unlike the OW lounges where top tier can gain access to the F-Lounges...
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
F on PS gets you into the SFO/LAX/JFK IFLs
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Thanks..

I am surprised to see so many people have experienced the IFL when the access is so limited (F on TATL/TPAC/TCONT) unlike the OW lounges where top tier can gain access to the F-Lounges...
Well obviously you haven't take a look at the number of F trip reports in the trip report section on FT.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Call me crazy but I think all UA Clubs in hubs should be like maple leaf lounges. Chips, salads, soups and they're all delicious. Also, I'm all for bartenders but if I want a club soda, I kinda feel like it would be much easier to have a fridge with cans.
Totally agree with you. They definitely need more substantial food options and they need to have a separate place for non-alcoholic beverages rather than at the bar.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
+1 to HKG. I was shocked when I first entered there, it was such a pleasant change from the US-side RCCs I was used to. Admit there isn't a huge variety of food, but it's real food and pretty comparable to the nearby TG lounge. Showers are nice and come with proper shower amenities, unlike American RCC/PCs. The lounge agents are amazing too. Probably my favourite *A lounge in HKG; the SKL has way more food but it can't match the open atmosphere of the RCC.

My favourites that I've been to are probably:

1. HKG RCC
2. SFO IFL
3. NRT RCC

NRT isn't actually that good in terms of food or seating but the open design and good showers are positives.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by Bob7032
Second that ...
Me three. HKG is be the one. NRT is second, but it is not close. If NRT had the kind of food+sake that the ANA lounge had, my ratings would change.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dulcamara
Me three. HKG is be the one. NRT is second, but it is not close. If NRT had the kind of food+sake that the ANA lounge had, my ratings would change.
In Narita, I (and many others) have taken to showering at the RCC and then heading to one of the two NH lounges to actually hang out.... best of both worlds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.