Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
When he wrote to me he claimed that he reads all his e-mails. It is entirely possible that he does not intend to ignore you and is simply overwhelmed with e-mails. I suspect you will hear something eventually.
My first email dated Oct 21 went to Mileage Plus and I received a standard form letter reply (it was cut and paste and of different font size). When I wrote back asking for clarification, I did not receive a second reply.

On Oct 29, I wrote Mr Foland and did not get a reply. I followed up on Nov 3 with another email and also did not get a reply. All emails were respective in tone and constructive. I also think he is overwhelmed and I do not expect to ever hear from him. dave
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dasams

My first email dated Oct 21 went to Mileage Plus and I received a standard form letter reply (it was cut and paste and of different font size). When I wrote back asking for clarification, I did not receive a second reply.

On Oct 29, I wrote Mr Foland and did not get a reply. I followed up on Nov 3 with another email and also did not get a reply. All emails were respective in tone and constructive. I also think he is overwhelmed and I do not expect to ever hear from him. dave
Your request is not unreasonable. You know what is said about - "if at first you don't succeed - try and try again." Eventually, you will hear one way or the other.
-
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
At the time, Gold was the highest of the three levels that CO had. The number of miles required to attain that level varied over the course of the Infinite Elite program. When it started, the mileage requirement was 75k/year. One had to earn Gold for five consecutive years to qualify. Also, at the time the route structure of CO was quite a bit smaller than it is today, making earning those miles a bit more difficult. I am in N way defending anything. I'm just pointing out the fact that Gold at the time is not at all equivalent to Gold today.
Agreed. Just as Premier Executive at the time they established the MM benefit is not at all equivalent to Gold today.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by mogulskiir
I think UA could easily please many MM customers on both sides by doing the following.

First replace the one time gifts at 1MM, 2MM, 3MM with the spouse status, NOT the annual RPU's that were promised for life. You kept the United Club access for 2MM, why not keep the RPU’s for 1MM. Both were promised for life. Trading the one time gifs for the spouse status is fair.

Second include MM status in the upgrade priority within each status level. This rewards longtime loyalty and gives a 1kMM an upgrade before 1k, and a 1P MM an upgrade before a 1P.

Third well I'm sure not everyone is going to agree on what level to offer each MM level I do think by doing the re-calculation of EQM's it is a fair solution. While it does essentially lower the level of a 1MM in the new program because of the addition of the 75k level, it still keeps the star gold and the adding of past EQM’s offers a bonus towards the next level.

Overall it could have been worse and I understand why it would seem unfair to certain members. I think what I stated above is a fair suggestion that would give people the best of both programs while only taking away the one time gifts which were never promised for life. Taking away something that was promised for life is not a good business decision for a longtime loyal customer. Removing the one time gifts is something I think most would understand.

UA please consider this.
Now that I had some additional time to think about this and read others ideas I still think my original idea above is a good one. I will be sending this to UA shortly. Million Mile + flyers have been loyal to UA/CO for a long time. Any company, not just an airline, should try to keep a long time loyal customer a "happy customer."

Overall it could have been worse, let's just hope that UA/CO listens and makes a few additional changes that are positive. I really think that at a minimum including the MM status in the upgrade order would be simple and easy way to help ensure a long time loyal customer is rewarded.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
First replace the one time gifts at 1MM, 2MM, 3MM with the spouse status, NOT the annual RPU's that were promised for life. You kept the United Club access for 2MM, why not keep the RPU’s for 1MM. Both were promised for life. Trading the one time gifs for the spouse status is fair.

Second include MM status in the upgrade priority within each status level. This rewards longtime loyalty and gives a 1kMM an upgrade before 1k, and a 1P MM an upgrade before a 1P.

Now that I had some additional time to think about this and read others ideas I still think my original idea above is a good one. I will be sending this to UA shortly. Million Mile + flyers have been loyal to UA/CO for a long time. Any company, not just an airline, should try to keep a long time loyal customer a "happy customer."

Overall it could have been worse, let's just hope that UA/CO listens and makes a few additional changes that are positive. I really think that at a minimum including the MM status in the upgrade order would be simple and easy way to help ensure a long time loyal customer is rewarded.
As 1MM (presently an 1K), I probably would not recommend UA adopts this proposal
- It adds complexity to the upgrade priority and making it harder for many to understand / trust
- It may overweight longevity and discourage new elites

But in the spirit of putting ideas on the table, the most aggrieved group is the UA 1MM. They have lost their regionals, their upgrade priority has dropped and their RDM bonus has decreased. The spouse benefit while a plus (for some) does not overcome the minuses for some/many/most.

If existing UA 1MMers were grandfathered to Premier Plat (but future 1MMers got Premier Gold as purposed), the existing UA 1MMers would lose their regionals, get improved upgrade priority (as Plat), have a smaller decrease in RDM bonus and get spouse benefit. This would bring the pluses / minuses more in balance on the whole (but understand not for everyone).

The Plat change in RDM bonus would provide for some (50K-60K flyer) nearly enough miles to do the equivalent of one regional as a mileage upgrade.

.Personally I am less concerned about the loss of the regionals than I am of the reduced upgrade priority and the decreased RDM bonus -- hence the above suggestion.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But in the spirit of putting ideas on the table, the most aggrieved group is the UA 1MM. They have lost their regionals, their upgrade priority has dropped and their RDM bonus has decreased. The spouse benefit while a plus (for some) does not overcome the minuses for some/many/most.

If existing UA 1MMers were grandfathered to Premier Plat (but future 1MMers got Premier Gold as purposed), the existing UA 1MMers would lose their regionals, get improved upgrade priority (as Plat), have a smaller decrease in RDM bonus and get spouse benefit. This would bring the pluses / minuses more in balance on the whole (but understand not for everyone).
As a current UA 1MM I would be pretty happy with this. The only problem then is that when my next incentive level will be 3MM - nothing new at 2MM. I'm figuring after the re-calculation I'll be around 1.8 so I should hit 2MM in some years. Not traveling as much for work, pretty much only pleasure and unforunately with the 1MM reduction in benefits I'm probably not going to fly UA. Especially since Alaska just announced OAK-HNL. Let's see $1200 for two people on UA with a chance of an upgrade at 48 hours prior to departure or about $1300 for two people on Alaska in confirmed in First? It's a no-brainer.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Too many
.Personally I am less concerned about the loss of the regionals than I am of the reduced upgrade priority and the decreased RDM bonus -- hence the above suggestion.
Which is exactly why I suggested giving a MM priority over a non-MM within each status level. Really how hard could that be to program into a computer and it would give those long time loyal flyers the upgrade priority they deserve.

I just think it makes sense to give a 1K MM an upgrade before a 1K and a 1PMM one before a 1P. Honestly I don't think it is very confusing, what is confusing to me is why a 1K would get the same priority as a 1K MM. To me a 1K MM is a higher status and should get that priority. This also somewhat solves the problem of the new 75k level. At least if a Gold MM had priority over a non-MM Gold it would put them closer to what it was before when the 75K level didn't exist.

Also I am not in favor of them taking away the regionals. If you read above I suggested that they replace the gift’s with the spouse status (which preserves the CO benefits). Keep the CR1’s for existing MM flyers (which preserves the UA benefits). Leave everything else alone to existing MM flyers as it was part of what they were promised for life IMO. For a long time loyal customer why take something away? They have been good to you, so why not return the favor and be good back to the customer.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SF1K
As a current UA 1MM I would be pretty happy with this. The only problem then is that when my next incentive level will be 3MM - nothing new at 2MM. ...
Yes that is true but MM probably fall into two camps
-- Retired / reduced travel -- the MM benefits are probably important now for this folks and would retain for future travel. But the lower travel levels means 2MM or higher is probably not a real goal. Same with achieving better status elsewhere -- not realistic goal.

-- Active (and probably traveling above the 50K level -- suspect the median is above 75K) -- for these 1MMers, the benefit of thier present activity probably outranks their MM status. The lack of a bump at 2MM could be seen as a problem with my proposal for this group. Guess nothing prefect.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:28 pm

snip snip

The Plat change in RDM bonus would provide for some (50K-60K flyer) nearly enough miles to do the equivalent of one regional as a mileage upgrade.
-

Good ideas. Have you considered an e-mail with your ideas to Jeffrey Foland?

We are running out of time before the final decisions are made for the combined frequent flyer programs.

If you write, you should send your e-mail directly to [email protected] rather than to customer service. Customer service employees have no power to make decisions or changes affecting the programs.

Thanks
-
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Good ideas. Have you considered an e-mail with your ideas to Jeffrey Foland? ...
did a few weeks ago
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
That guy does not even have the courtesy of responding to e-mails let alone having someone else do it for him.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a 10 year 1K and only being 65k short of the true BIS MM with UA I would find this proposal insulting to those of us very close. But where would you draw the line? People <900K, <800K? I don't think something like this would work. It would alienate more people than the current proposal. Either make 1MM platinum for everyone or gold for everyone. Having to do another 1MM to just get to the level of the grandfathered MM's would really be a huge insult.

And remember, going forward only BIS counts just like in the past. And my one time adjustment will not get me anywhere near 2MM as I was a do as much UA as possible. Only flew *A partners to places UA did not go and company did not pay for full fare or premium cabin so very few EQM bonuses. The adjustment takes me to about 1.1MM.

And I am fine with MM being given a choice of regionals or spousal benefit.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE

That guy does not even have the courtesy of responding to e-mails let alone having someone else do it for him.
It is rude and inconsiderate to ignore a bonafide letter or e-mail. My first e-mail to him was answered by a customer service person. My second e-mail was answered by him. When he answered, he "confirmed" that the 2010 FAQs announcements that appeared on united.com were related to a 2009 promotion even though the questions discussed the 2010 merger and used the word Continental in the questions.

It is possible that he is getting so many complaints from loyal UA million-milers that he stopped responding.

When letters went to customer service, a simple cut and paste would suffice. Now that correspondence goes directly to him, he now might realize the errors associated with demoting the frequent flyer program of UA and favoring the program of Continental.

Thanks for letting us know that he does not answer e-mails.

Even though he does not answer e-mails, we should still continue to send our concerns to him. Otherwise, if the e-mails stop, he could assume we are no longer unhappy with the devastation of the million-mile program.
-
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Still concerned, watching and writing to Mr. Foland, though less so here. Again, anyone else?

Rarely agreeing with WineCountryUA @1332, I'd suggest that this is why the 3MM and 4MM levels are chimeras - the mirage in the distance that always will be - that have been given new focus by the Mileage Plus planners as a distraction from the closer-at-hand reductions introduced for 2012. Speaking to the aspirational aspect, I can't imagine another ten years flying at 100,000 miles or so, let alone shooting for the next million. To enjoy the benefits that just begin then? I know, that's just me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2011 at 1:39 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
At the time, Gold was the highest of the three levels that CO had. The number of miles required to attain that level varied over the course of the Infinite Elite program. When it started, the mileage requirement was 75k/year. One had to earn Gold for five consecutive years to qualify. Also, at the time the route structure of CO was quite a bit smaller than it is today, making earning those miles a bit more difficult. I am in N way defending anything. I'm just pointing out the fact that Gold at the time is not at all equivalent to Gold today.
UA did not require the five consecutive years. But I agree with you completely your point that Gold at the earlier era is not equivalent to Gold today. I made 1K when it was first introduced, the number of 1Ks in a TPAC flight can often be counted with one hand. Now you can have ten times or more, and can easily exceed the number of Gold back at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.