Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I'm' not sure how to read this on the UA site, but it does seem that some of the benefits are going away, like the annual CR1 credits and SWU dump on initial crest?

"A MileagePlus member who currently holds Million Mile Flyer status in MileagePlus, or who earns it before December 31, 2011, will enjoy the status and benefits corresponding to the current MileagePlus Million Mile Flyer program until the 2012 program takes effect. Million Mile Flyers who have earned lifetime membership in the United Red Carpet Club will keep that membership.
January 1, 2012, will be the final deposit of Systemwide Upgrades for new (through December 31, 2011) MileagePlus Million Mile Flyers and Regional Upgrades for current 2011 MileagePlus Million Mile Flyers."
I'm in a classic YMMV situation. I currently have 1,921,000 Lifetime United miles (expect 1,940,000 miles at the end of year) and should easily make 2MM miles next year for the Lifetime RCC. I also have 238,000 Lifetime Continental miles.

The dropping lifetime RCC at 2MM is a major disappoitment. I send an email to see if they will provide a "grace period" next year to obtain Lifetime RCC. Specifically, the reduction came late in the year where one really cannot adjust their flying to make 2MM this year. I'm hoping they will take make an exception.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by goplaces
Questions: I've been avoiding CO-operated flights, at some additional expense and annoyance, in order to try to hit 1MM this year (I had assumed the program would be much worse in 2012, not better!) If I'm reading this right, I no longer need to worry about flying on Continental-operated flights for the rest of the year, because early next year, all EQMs credited to UA will count. Is this correct?
Yes.
Will "Premier Gold" still be *G (thereby earning lifetime lounge access for me and a partner on international trips)?
Yes
Will 2MM still give lifetime RCC/United Club access? (I'm thinking ahead...)
N. Instead, you'll get the 75k tier statusl fr life.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I belive that the CO definition of Significant Other to whom you can confer your status on is that that person must have the same mailing address.
And SO cannot be a child or room mate. It has to be spouse or SO that lives with you - for non-married people.

If you violate the terms -ie designate a child - you risk losing your status - so this should not be abused.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:35 pm

Excellent implementation of the new program. I am particularly pleased that the new UA did not simply combine incompatible mileage totals of the two airlines that would have screwed UA MP members. Even one of the mods insisted that UA MP members would be shafted on this and gloated about the harm UA MP members would incur. Glad to see a fair and equitable resolution!

To clarify a point of confusion running through this thread, CC purchase RDM's are not the same as CC EQM's. Annaul CC EQM's are limited to a max of 10,000 miles. (I believe some cards offered 15,000 in the first year)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Am single, so spouse & SO is irrelevant to me. I'm losing CR1s and if I got to 2MM, RCC for life.
You can still buy a LT PC on CO. Likely cheaper than doing MRs to get to 2MM in the old program.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Talking

I repeatedly pinted out over the last few weeks that the destruction of MP was not, in fact, near. I'm glad to see that the changes and the reactions to them are overwhelmingly psitive.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I repeatedly pinted out over the last few weeks that the destruction of MP was not, in fact, near. I'm glad to see that the changes and the reactions to them are overwhelmingly psitive.
Agree...

One question....I have the RCC benefit from few years ago after passing 2MM mark. Will they take this away now or will it be grandfathered?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
But this is FT.. We need something to talk about

+1. Hopefully the speculation we have seen in the blog thread prove to be mostly inaccurate!

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Agree...

One question....I have the RCC benefit from few years ago after passing 2MM mark. Will they take this away now or will it be grandfathered?
You are grandfathered

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cova
You can still buy a LT PC on CO. Likely cheaper than doing MRs to get to 2MM in the old program.
I don't do mileage runs & truthfully think (even doing MRs) it would be difficult to get 550,000 miles in before year-end anyway to get to 2MM under the old program. And I can't see spending $7-9K (whatever it is) on PC/RCC for life at this point given the amortization, especially since my *Gold still gets me into the lounges on int'l trips. It was just domestic I'd save some $$. But for others, purchasing LTPC might make sense.

Getting to 2MM under the new program is just getting me back to what I ALREADY HAD as a 1MM under UA's program & losing the annual CR1s (not to mention the RCC life if it had been kept the same).

As someone else mentioned, I'd trade the spouse/SO bennie for lifetime RCC bennie. Of course that probably says something about my dating life in the future

Cheers.

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Agree...

According to the website you're grandfathered. "MileagePlus members who were rewarded with a lifetime lounge membership in the past will keep that membership".

Cheers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Erasmus
From my read, you can construct a quick lower bound by taking the qualification amount for your status level for each year. I.e., if you've been 1K for at least 10 years, you'll be at least at 1MM by the new formula. Obviously this is of no help for those who routinely smash through their qualification barrier.

Personally, I'm expecting about a 33-50% bump in my lifetime miles given my usual fare class/travel mix and the number of DEQM years they've run lately. I expect GS and the like who routinely fly paid C/F will experience tremendous upticks.
I am clueless about this...how can you guesstimate what the recalibration will be? I have about 600K UA lifetime miles, virtually all of which are BIS - plus another 250K CO EQMs. Will I get to the million with the recalibration? How does one figure it out?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Maybe at the start of the 2013, they'll change course slightly and instead allow MM travelers to select their annual gift from one of the following:

1. One-year status match for spouse/SO
2. One-year RCC membership
3. 2 SWUs
4. 4 HK49/CR1s

"Choice/control" should be a hallmark of the new MP.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
You are grandfathered

Really? what a deal!! thanks....

According to the website you're grandfathered. "MileagePlus members who were rewarded with a lifetime lounge membership in the past will keep that membership".

Cheers.
Thanks...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
But this is FT.. We need something to talk about
The word "talk," above, needs t be replaced!

Getting to 2MM under the new program is just getting me back to what I ALREADY HAD as a 1MM under UA's program & losing the annual CR1s (not to mention the RCC life if it had been kept the same).
Um -- n - the differences between the 2011 UA 2MM and the 2012 UA 2MM benefits are 1) Lifetime RCC in 2011 2) CR1s in 2011 3) Spouse benefit in 2012. The elite level is the same @ the 50k tier.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Um -- n - the differences between the 2011 UA 2MM and the 2012 UA 2MM benefits are 1) Lifetime RCC in 2011 2) CR1s in 2011 3) Spouse benefit in 2012. The elite level is the same @ the 50k tier.
Um no. Under the current program I was Premier Exec for life (aka, PP) at the 1MM mark & had 100% bonus + CR1s. Now I need 2MM to be PP - and I get 25% less bonus (aka, 75%). Being less than 2MM puts me at Gold, underneath GS, 1K, PP, so I've dropped a level compared to what I already have (GS, 1K & then me). Getting to 2MM just gets me back to where I already was - plus losing 25%, CR1s & Lifetime RCC - and only gaining Spouse benefit, which is of no use to me being single.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.