Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA M+ Awards with QR (Qatar)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Qatar Awards Now Bookable Online!

Was looking for couple of award flights and was surprised to see QR availability showed up! ^ Looks like you can mix QR and *A awards at the same time too (I believe this has always been the case, but I might be wrong)! One of the few changes I like!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by nov11
Was looking for couple of award flights and was surprised to see QR availability showed up! ^ Looks like you can mix QR and *A awards at the same time too (I believe this has always been the case, but I might be wrong)! One of the few changes I like!
Do QR awards price at normal *A chart rates or do they have a different rate?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Same rate.

This is awesome.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Darn. I just booked QR F/C awards over the phone earlier this week, as I reported here. But this is indeed awesome. The best deal from US appears to be to Asia via DOH in C which is the same rate as going through TPAC or Europe (60K).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Wow. An actual enhancement!

This is terrific news for several reasons. Not only are the redemption rates much lower than PMUA's, but you can now book mixed itins and do it online. Previously it could be a nighmare to book these partner awards.

^
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I just booked award seats in business to Delhi from EWR on Lufthansa which I can easily switch to Qatar. It looks like the overall duration of both flights on Qatar is a bit longer despite a shorter layover in Doha than in Frankfurt. But the important thing is --- how do they compare in terms of overall flight experience, food, and seating? I'm quite familiar with LH, but have no idea about Qatar.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Lots of J space YUL-DOH-Asia ^

What an alternative to TPACs on UA!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Do QR open up F award availability to partners, and do we have a list of which routes they operate 3 cabin planes?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hughw
I just booked award seats in business to Delhi from EWR on Lufthansa which I can easily switch to Qatar. It looks like the overall duration of both flights on Qatar is a bit longer despite a shorter layover in Doha than in Frankfurt. But the important thing is --- how do they compare in terms of overall flight experience, food, and seating? I'm quite familiar with LH, but have no idea about Qatar.
QR has true lie-flat C seats; LH does not.

People have raved about QRs 2-class C service...I'd go for it.

Another considertion is that if you book a NYC-DOH nonstop, you get a long overnight flight (12+ hours), which makes for better sleeping. The short East Coast-Europe flights are never that good in this department.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:22 am

One stop to the Maldives... sign me up!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Do QR open up F award availability to partners, and do we have a list of which routes they operate 3 cabin planes?
Only DOH-Europe routes according to this thread in QR forum but it might be a bit dated. A few days ago, I was able to book LHR-DOH F on a flight in Nov.

Last edited by MtRoot; Apr 18, 2012 at 11:16 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughw
Originally Posted by as219
QR has true lie-flat C seats; LH does not.

People have raved about QRs 2-class C service...I'd go for it.

Another considertion is that if you book a NYC-DOH nonstop, you get a long overnight flight (12+ hours), which makes for better sleeping. The short East Coast-Europe flights are never that good in this department.
OK. Thanks for the advice. So definitely worth taking Qatar over LH from New York to Delhi in business. But what if it was a choice (in business) of a non-stop on a PMCO 777 with lie flat seats, or a connecting flight in Doha on Qater? Is it worth taking the connection for the better service, etc.?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
QR happiness

I've had a chance to fly QR in business class, and have to admit that it was a more enjoyable ride then some of the other business class offerings I've been able to try.

That being said, the inability to earn PQM seems to take them down a notch - if I'm going that far, I'd like to make sure to get PQM out of it.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:37 am

Anyone know how many days out (330? 331? 356?) you can book QR inventory on UA's site using UA miles? Looking at the subcontinent for the summer of 2013.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by infamousdx
One stop to the Maldives... sign me up!
+1 ^

QR J is excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.