Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
I've been seeing a little more frequency of pre-flight bev's of choice being offered, but still far too often it's the standard water/OJ crap. I've never understood the appeal of OJ on an evening flight after a long day at the office. I think it largely depends on the crew as to how it's administered.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:19 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by kluau88
For pre-departure beverages they will start fulfilling individual requests instead of the pre-poured options you are used to seeing on domestic and international flights. The requests can include (wine, beer, alcohol, and soda).
Hi kluau88, you have good sources. As you mention, beginning September 1st, we’ll be aligning our beverage options between carriers. In addition to the expanded offering for pre-departure drinks in the front cabin, we’ll also start serving the same beverages overall. For example, you’ll now find Trader Vic’s Mai Tai on most flights to/from Hawaii and Salvador’s Margaritas on most other flights.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
And I'm all but certain on my flight overseas on 3rd September that the matrons will not comply. I will get my choice of only 1 glass of either water, OJ or sparkling wine and I will like it! If I do get asked my beverage preference I will faint onboard.
Hi travelinmanS, I’m not in a position to make any promises, but, you should be offered more than water or OJ. Let us know!

Originally Posted by emanon256
On my last 2 flights in F, both last week, the flight attendant went to each GS member, thanked them loudly for being GS, and asked them what they would like to drink. She brought them their custom drinks, then proceeded front to back offering everyone else water or orange juice. So I am guessing this enhancement only applies to GS.
Hi emanon256, interesting, definitely applies to all customers. We will be sure that this message is communicated.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Definitely a positive change. Haven't been on a UA domestic flight in some time so I'll look out for it in September and beyond. I like how that will change for UA International flights as well. Sometimes having a scotch before takeoff is just what the doctor ordered.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Definitely a positive change. Haven't been on a UA domestic flight in some time so I'll look out for it in September and beyond. I like how that will change for UA International flights as well. Sometimes having a scotch before takeoff is just what the doctor ordered.
+1 to that!

Also, thanks to UAInsider for the update. Your presence and input here is very much appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was on two short haul UA flights this weekend - SFO-LAX and v.v. On the first flight, we were offered any pre-flight beverage, and I think some people got what they asked for. On today's flight, it was OJ and water, and while one passenger asked for something different, I don't think they got it. So, possibly an early roll-out, but it's not consistent yet.

Incidentally, there are new plastic cups, with the globe logo.... and a Coca Cola logo. I guess they'll sell advertising space to anyone, anywhere.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:40 pm

Just ever so slightly OT, what champagne is served on CO BF international flights?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Just ever so slightly OT, what champagne is served on CO BF international flights?
Can't remember what it is on CO BF INTL...but another question, slighty OT and OT... What about bringing back the sparkling wine on all UA domestic flights? Miss it as a PDB and used to order the fruit plate on breakfast flights to "dunk" my fruit in it...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:12 am

Definitely a change for the better - the water/juice tray always felt like a waste. I wonder what it would take/cost for them to get some decent coffee...you know, like four barrel or blue bottle (those who live in SF will know what i'm talking about)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by worldtrav
They use JP Chenet prior to take-off (and in International Business flights w/o BF). They have Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top as the "nicer" BF champagne option. It's pretty good.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi kluau88, you have good sources. As you mention, beginning September 1st, we’ll be aligning our beverage options between carriers. In addition to the expanded offering for pre-departure drinks in the front cabin, we’ll also start serving the same beverages overall. For example, you’ll now find Trader Vic’s Mai Tai on most flights to/from Hawaii and Salvador’s Margaritas on most other flights.

Hi travelinmanS, I’m not in a position to make any promises, but, you should be offered more than water or OJ. Let us know!

Hi emanon256, interesting, definitely applies to all customers. We will be sure that this message is communicated.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
I don't think "communication" will be sufficient. A lot of these old UA gals are stuck in their ways and frankly lazy. I think each failure should be a step of discipline -- each customer that does not get his choice should be counted as a separate failure. So in a cabin of 12 F, that's 12 steps of discipline.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by commutair
I've been seeing a little more frequency of pre-flight bev's of choice being offered, but still far too often it's the standard water/OJ crap. I've never understood the appeal of OJ on an evening flight after a long day at the office. I think it largely depends on the crew as to how it's administered.
I've noticed it is largely based on the time they have during boarding.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
And are we going to have to pay for mixers? That CO charges for Stirings in F is pretty ridiculous. Same with charging for the already downgraded BOB in F when, especially in CO's case where those who don't eat red meat are often left with one "choice" or on UA domestic 3 class Business where there is only one meal.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
The pre departure champagne/sparkling wine is different then what is served once in flight. During pre departure F & C are served the same brand then in- flight F has a different champagne then C.
I confirmed this once in C by looking at the bottles. The PDB came from C. In flight a friendly FA brought a bottle back from F and shared the contents. Can't remember what the champagne brands were...

Regarding domestic PDB, only water and OJ on 3 trips between ORD and DEN in the last week.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Growing on me

Had the lovely Sunrise Sunset as a PDB on UA(!) today...knocked me right out and slept through takeoff

Might just be a change I like (think the only one so far unfortunately...)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
8-30 DEN-CMH on UA 454: choice was given for anything for PDD
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
It's kind of amazing that getting your choice of pre-departure drink is considered an enhancement and something new. I was a platinum on CO for many years (still am until the end of Feb 2012) and until I left CO for DL about 2 years ago I always received whatever PDB I asked for in F. DL always was and still is that way in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.