Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP

There has been much discussion about pre-departure beverages well here's a change as SMI/J would say I'm hoping you will like.

For pre-departure beverages they will start fulfilling individual requests instead of the pre-poured options you are used to seeing on domestic and international flights. The requests can include (wine, beer, alcohol, and soda).

Coffee....yes bye bye Starbucks and hello Journeys, United's Gourmet Custom Blend. We'll have to wait for the reviews to see how premium this product is.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
A big question my wife has:

She noticed champagne is available in first on CO flights but not on UA. Will UA get champagne in F??
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by kluau88
Coffee....yes bye bye Starbucks and hello Journeys, United's Gourmet Custom Blend. We'll have to wait for the reviews to see how premium this product is.
That coffee is TERRIBLE, I just bought a box of instant coffee packets to bring on the flights with me.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
A big question my wife has:

She noticed champagne is available in first on CO flights but not on UA. Will UA get champagne in F??
Well, as far as domestic CO service is concerned, it's not really champagne.....it's a French sparkling wine: J.P. Chenet Brut. It's OK but is a long way from classic French champagne. It is packaged in small single serving bottles with a screwtop-type arrangement.

J.P. Chenet Brut is available for purchase in Y and is complimentary in F. It also shows up on flights to/from the Caribbean and South America (on non-BF service flights) as well as "modified" BF flights to/from Hawaii.

Many times in F on CO they do not even have it properly chilled and ready to be served.....
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by zabes64
That coffee is TERRIBLE, I just bought a box of instant coffee packets to bring on the flights with me.
+1. The coffee is not good at all.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:07 pm

Have the matrons been informed of this change. I am certain they do not approve...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA840
Have the matrons been informed of this change. I am certain they do not approve...
And I'm all but certain on my flight overseas on 3rd September that the matrons will not comply. I will get my choice of only 1 glass of either water, OJ or sparkling wine and I will like it!

If I do get asked my beverage preference I will faint onboard.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
And I'm all but certain on my flight overseas on 3rd September that the matrons will not comply. I will get my choice of only 1 glass of either water, OJ or sparkling wine and I will like it!

I must say, the pre-poured drinks on UA were odd for me, comiing from the CO side of things. Will be glad to see that ended.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This has been standard policy on CO operated flights forever - glad to see it coming to UA.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:40 pm
g11

Programs: SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
About time for UA to catch up!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Gas station coffee is better than the horrible stuff UA is now serving. Truly atrocious.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:55 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by g11
About time for UA to catch up!
PMUA use to be drink of choice for pre departure. Once UA cut staffing it went to the OJ or water for domestic and OJ , water or sparking wine for Int'l and if time permits and no in bond issues or late galleys other drinks on request.

FA's have been updated on the change (Not sure if all 15K have read it). The only delay I can see is on the Int'l side, As catering must board the paid duty bin that has the extra items that can be opened for pre departure.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had personalized PDB choice on SFO-ORD last night!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kluau88
For pre-departure beverages they will start fulfilling individual requests instead of the pre-poured options you are used to seeing on domestic and international flights. The requests can include (wine, beer, alcohol, and soda).

This may be the only change I like so far.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS

Get ready to faint as the FA has already started taking custom preflight drink order on my LAX-ORD flight yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.