Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
11/3 593 BOS-DEN FA never offered any PFB at all, not even water or OJ, never left the galley the entire boarding procedure, sat town as soon as the safety video ended and waited 30 min after takeoff to start service. After she actually started, service was great.

This was the same FA who told me a few weeks ago that I was lucky if I got offered water, that they didn't have the time or staff to provide PDBs and that they do not get paid until the door shuts so she is doing all this work for free.

I reported her by name last time and was told her service director would be informed of the new policy. Apparently nothing changed.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by emanon256
11/3 593 BOS-DEN FA never offered any PFB at all, not even water or OJ, never left the galley the entire boarding procedure, sat town as soon as the safety video ended and waited 30 min after takeoff to start service. After she actually started, service was great.

This was the same FA who told me a few weeks ago that I was lucky if I got offered water, that they didn't have the time or staff to provide PDBs and that they do not get paid until the door shuts so she is doing all this work for free.

I reported her by name last time and was told her service director would be informed of the new policy. Apparently nothing changed.

Reply to their response with the new data. It will get added to the case.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:42 pm

Location: "And I'm in Colorado, when I'm not in some hotel..."
Programs: UA Global Services, IHC Plantinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Elite
Last 2 flights from DEN to LAS was offered and received a PDB on a mix of UA and CO. Flying home in the morning (On CO) so we will see.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:33 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Flight 942 - ORD-CDG.

FA came by with tray of OJ, H2O and sparkling wine and asked if I would like one of those or anything else to drink.

Ordered a Diet Coke and it was deliverd with a smile. ^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Several flights over the weekend.
Only one flight FA asked if I would like a drink before takeoff and this was without a tray of OJ/Water in his hand.

Two other flights, FA offered water/OJ on tray. After asking if a G&T was available, was told "No". Flight was very ordinary, no delays, no rush to board, etc.

Is anyone actually sending emails to 1K voice about this? While it is nice to have some consistency and get a PDB of choice, I feel pretty silly sending an email when this is the only issue encountered on the flight.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by emanon256

This is such a joke. I'm sure United would be happy to negotiate for her to be paid during boarding with a prorated decrease in her current hourly flight pay to offset the difference
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Now that I have had extensive experience on UA for the last year, it's apparent that CO FAs are much more customer-oriented than the UA FAs. I'm starting to think that with UA front-line employees (flight crews as well as FAs) it's all about "us vs them (UA management)" (see also Hell, Summer of). I never got/get that impression from the CO agents/FAs in my 10 years of flying CO almost exclusively. The only benefit that UA has offered me is an almost 100% UDU rate as a 1K. Oops, that's a Continental thing, isn't it
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
ORD-DEN UA235 Nov 6th
Three class 777 PDB's offered in business: "Would you like a drink?"
Beginning of a very nice flight (positive feedback left with UA)
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Interesting response from 1KVoice about the inconsistency of PDBs of choice:

I have contacting our In-flight team and to clarify, their standard procedure during pre-departure First Class passengers are offered orange juice or water. Other beverages are upon passengers request as our Flight Attendants are required to ask "Is there anything that I can get for you?"
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by rch4u
Interesting response from 1KVoice about the inconsistency of PDBs of choice:

I have contacting our In-flight team and to clarify, their standard procedure during pre-departure First Class passengers are offered orange juice or water. Other beverages are upon passengers request as our Flight Attendants are required to ask "Is there anything that I can get for you?"
I hope UA Insider sees that as this seems contrary to her announcement.

Also, I did write in about the same flight attendant who repeatedly refused to serve any PDB and argued about it citing they are not paid on several of my flights. I got a reply assuring her direct supervisor would be made again, and that it would not happen again.

Last night on BOS-DEN she was there again, I was not upgraded, but I was in row 7 and saw her serve a tray of water only and she continued to refuse requests.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
11/7 UA 715 SFO-PIT, was offered pre-departure beverage of my choice. I chose water with no ice, and the F/A remembered through the rest of the flight I prefer no ice in my water.

However, the flight seemed to have one of the best UA F/As I've encountered. Very attentive service, gave blue cards to the 1Ks in front of me whose IFE refused to tune channel 1 (despite the generally gripey and chatty nature of one of them), and did me a special favour (needed to give my United MPE credit card to my wife whose turn it was to sit in couch so she could B-o-B).

That flight reminded me of the classy airline United used to be.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
UA 3729 ELP-ORD CR7
Was offered a PDB of my choice ! Pretty good for UAX F as I was expecting nothing before departure.
UA994 ORD-IAD ,
Only Water and OJ!
UA903 IAD-DEN
PDB of choice was offered.

Not bad...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Den->ORD 884 today, offered water or "anything else" asked for a heniekin, attendant replied with "you will have to drink it quickly" but was given said beer... Very pleased!

In fact it was the beginning of a pleasant flight!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Uaflyer710
UA 3729 ELP-ORD CR7
Was offered a PDB of my choice ! Pretty good for UAX F as I was expecting nothing before departure.
UA994 ORD-IAD ,
Only Water and OJ!
UA903 IAD-DEN
PDB of choice was offered.

Not bad...
How is that "not bad" ... only 2 of your 3 flights had crews that followed protocol? Only 1 of the 2 mainline flights.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Den->ORD 884 today, offered water or "anything else" asked for a heniekin, attendant replied with "you will have to drink it quickly" but was given said beer... Very pleased!

In fact it was the beginning of a pleasant flight!
ORD-LAS this eveing, we got the "anything else" too when she walked around with H2O and OJ.

Asked for a Diet Coke and she went immediately back and brought me one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.