Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United allow boxes as checked 'luggage' on international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does United allow boxes as checked 'luggage' on international flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Still good? Daughter going to college across country . . . figuring we'll take a few boxes of linens and clothes instead of shipping them.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by drewguy
Still good? Daughter going to college across country . . . figuring we'll take a few boxes of linens and clothes instead of shipping them.

24-in W x 18-in H x 18-in D Large Heavy Duty Cardboard Moving Box with Handle Holes via the big box stores. Check the max size and weight limits for the airline and class of service. The boxes tend to survive one trip and only one trip. Fill the box to capacity.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Use lots of duct tape, inside and out.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by drewguy
After you reach there, break down the boxes and stash them flat behind the wardrobe. Will be useful when she moves things into storage at end of year. And yes, UA has no problems with boxes.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does it matter what shape the 62 linear inch box is? For instance a picture size or something long and skinny?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chavala
Does it matter what shape the 62 linear inch box is? For instance a picture size or something long and skinny?
I think not, which is why they say it's a max of 62 linear inches. Beware, though, that something long and skinny has a much higher chance of getting damaged by, say, being pushed in the middle and bent.

I'd never check a picture or something fragile like that in a bx. I've been able to carry some decent sized paintings on-board, but each time I made sure the aircraft I was booked on had a closet. The biggest I was able to do that with was a 24"x30" oil painting (wrapped in a small amount of bubble wrap) on a 757 with a closet. The 737 closet is about the same size and one time I had something that was just a wee bit larger but when put into the closet at an angle just fit. I hope this helps...
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I checked a 52” linear inch box (close to cube shape at LHR the other day. It had to be dropped at the outsize bag drop at LHR but was delivered to the regular claim at SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.