Search

Newbie Question | Linking PNR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Newbie Question | Linking PNR

Wondering if anyone has experience or could advise on the following:

We've booked a trip to Cairo. Unfortunately, the seating (for whatever reasons) was not available to our usual travel agent (Amex) but was available on expedia. Tickets are booked and issued. We have decided to spend another 5 days at Sharm el Sheik and will be booking a flight from Cairo to SSH on Egypt Air. The ideal return flight from SSH to Cairo leaves at 930 PM, arriving at 1030 PM. Our original international flight leaves Cairo (on Egypt Air). I contacted the airline to connect the PNR but they are unable to because the international ticket is issued through United and despite giving them the Egypt Air reference number. (flights include other airlines). They cannot and advise us to let the check in agent at SSH know we are connecting to the international flight. We are not checking any luggage in.

My questions:

1) Is it likely that upon arrival to Cairo we will need to leave the secure zone and then check in and go through security ? If this is the case then I will need to book the earlier flight which is unfortunately at 315 PM
2) Despite being a "legal" layover time, this would not be considered a layover because the flights are not linked and booked separately.

Thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alveoli0
Wondering if anyone has experience or could advise on the following:

We've booked a trip to Cairo. Unfortunately, the seating (for whatever reasons) was not available to our usual travel agent (Amex) but was available on expedia. Tickets are booked and issued. We have decided to spend another 5 days at Sharm el Sheik and will be booking a flight from Cairo to SSH on Egypt Air. The ideal return flight from SSH to Cairo leaves at 930 PM, arriving at 1030 PM. Our original international flight leaves Cairo (on Egypt Air). I contacted the airline to connect the PNR but they are unable to because the international ticket is issued through United and despite giving them the Egypt Air reference number. (flights include other airlines). They cannot and advise us to let the check in agent at SSH know we are connecting to the international flight. We are not checking any luggage in.

My questions:

1) Is it likely that upon arrival to Cairo we will need to leave the secure zone and then check in and go through security ? If this is the case then I will need to book the earlier flight which is unfortunately at 315 PM
2) Despite being a "legal" layover time, this would not be considered a layover because the flights are not linked and booked separately.

Thank you!
Did you intend to post this to the United forum?

The Minimum Connection Time at CAI, for a Egyptair (MS) online connection, depends upon the terminals where the flights are departing -- 1 hour if they're in the same terminal and up to 3 hours if they're not.

You can probably get a more detailed answer in the MS forum.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA
There is no way to link PNRs that has any meaningful effect.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Many thanks - upon reflection, we ended up changing our itinerary around before booking and have avoided this all together. appreciate the responses.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by alveoli0
Many thanks - upon reflection, we ended up changing our itinerary around before booking and have avoided this all together. appreciate the responses.
Which doesn’t add up with “We’ve booked a trip to Cairo” but I digress…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.