Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes UA/CO worth it to you?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
UA:
International SWU's
Domestic UDU's
Channel 9
E+
RCC's (bad as they have gotten, still usually better than the terminal)
International 3-class service

CO:
Domestic upgrades
500 EQMs on the US DCA-LGA/BOS shuttle
PC's

Both:
Early boarding
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
1. E+
2. Channel 9

If not for those two items, I'd be going for SkyPesos right now
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:51 pm

I was a LOYAL NW customer until the mid 90's when NW discontinued their non-stop service between GUM and HNL. Then I moved over to then "Continental Micronesia" and it's been a wonderful 16 years to this date. I could have gone with DL but it has been the warmth and genuine friendships I've developed with the "air-mike" inflight teams that have kept me loyal this long.

Of course it's regrettable that I won't be flying with a number of them when UA based oprations assume the GUM-HNL route late October but I'll do my best to build the same friendships. I'm extremely interested to see what will become of the inflight service at that time. I'll keep you posted...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:16 am

Location: شمال أمريكا والعالم العربي - N America + Arab World
Programs: *A, SkyTeam
For national flights, UA is convenient as I live near a hub (at least for now). Internationally: until recently *A was one of the two ways to to my "home" country. That combo made UA the one that made most sense.

Since then, I claim loyalty to my partner whose father works for UA.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by rubbernyc
EWR hub.

As a resident of central NJ, I am 45-100 minutes of (by driving times and light/normal traffic loads) of EWR, ABE, LGA, JFK and PHL. With EWR alone I have the ability to get mostly everywhere I need to go on CO(UA) metal and easy connections with other *A members.

I have other choices of carriers, esp if I am willing to travel to LGA or JFK mainly, but no need to cross the river with EWR so close by.

So, not exactly trapped by geography, by far, but more of a benefit of being here.
Add me to the +1s because of EWR. From there, I can go just about everywhere non-stop. And because EWR is about 20 minutes from my home. Just the thought of having to drive anywhere else (JFK, LGA or PHL) between the time (at least 90 minutes IF I am lucky) and tolls is enough to turn me off. Yes, EWR has the two main conveniences for me (distance from home and large number of destinations).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by trust77
I was a LOYAL NW customer until the mid 90's when NW discontinued their non-stop service between GUM and HNL. Then I moved over to then "Continental Micronesia" and it's been a wonderful 16 years to this date. I could have gone with DL but it has been the warmth and genuine friendships I've developed with the "air-mike" inflight teams that have kept me loyal this long.

Of course it's regrettable that I won't be flying with a number of them when UA based oprations assume the GUM-HNL route late October but I'll do my best to build the same friendships. I'm extremely interested to see what will become of the inflight service at that time. I'll keep you posted...
I'm just curious as to how one has warm and genuine friendships with a company?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
1. E+
2. SWUs
3. Nonstop flights to the US from my current location.
4. My dislike of AA and DL.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG
1. E+
2. *a
3. E+
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
This may be ridiculous but as a hublet guy, I like being able to get to many smaller Mid-Western, South-Eastern and East Coast cities on big beautiful Kenjets and not the Evil Spawn of Kenjet (AKA CRJ-200) on a non-stop basis. I'll even take the prop-jets if they are non-stop. And with US, I am well covered for many of my business travels to smaller cities.

I do like the NS red-eyes from the coast which I use about twice a month.

I have yet to use an upgrade instrument (not counting the dark ages of the early 1990s when CO used them). I figure I will have to learn how but in truth, as a Plat-1K, I have not missed an upgrade except for flying standby (from a flight where I had been upgraded) and 1 CLE-ORD flight where I was upgraded but my wife wasn't and she got the F seat. I got an E+ aisle with the middle seat open on an almost full UA 757. (I still think UA babies their 1ks)

I may be wrong, but the hublet seems to have gotten an upgrade in that we now have 757-200s (UA) going to ORD. It wasn't long ago that I was flying Q-400s on that route. And it seems that I am flying more 757-300s from LAX and LAS. I even have gotten 737-700s and 800s into LGA when the schedule was showing Kenjets only.

So to me, it seems that the flying out of the hublet has improved.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Why I fly UA/CO?

-Despise all other surviving US legacy carriers
-Good route network from EWR
-Ability to redeem for flights on *A partners

I try to fly CO on all my domestic travel and I like the new BF seats for TATL trips. Anything over 7/8 hours and I look to Star Alliance partners though.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
The 3 things that led me to status match from DL after moving to ABQ were:

E+
Ch9
More nonstop destinations from ABQ than anyone except WN.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
1) SWUs that I can redeem (I moved from DL for this reason).
2) Availability of low level awards.
Two things I haven't experienced yet but I am looking forward to:
3) E+
4) Using CR1s to secure domestic upgrades early.

DLP
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
1. VDBs. When I can pick up a VDB every few flights, it really chips away at my travel costs.
2. p.s. I fly JFK-LAX reasonably frequently and I prefer to fly in and out of JFK as I hate LGA and I'm not a huge fan of EWR. If it moves to EWR as some of the rumors suggest, I'll stick with the AA 762's out of JFK.
3. E+ is nice, but ever since I got PLT on AA, I've always been able to pick up exit rows, even onto packed flights for which I was going same-day standby on. The AA exit rows are better than E+ (and on par with UA exit rows), so this isn't quite as valuable as a perk as it could be. I just have to make sure do enough AA flying this year to make sure I retain at least GLD.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And exploring space

After all, planes change. Priorities don't.
Their priorities or yours?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:42 pm

Q: What keeps me flying the "new" UA? A: Friction! The simple fact that swapping carriers is enormously difficult. If I could take all my miles, all my upgrades, and my status over to AA at the flick of a switch, I would be there tomorrow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.