What makes UA/CO worth it to you?

Old Jul 28, 11, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
What makes UA/CO worth it to you?

With all the grumbling about changes we don't like, etc., I think it's worth discussing what keeps us flying UA/CO. My list:
  • Schedules & frequency: nobody else has red-eyes when I need them. I fly LAX/SFO -> CLE/PIT.
  • Economy Plus: This makes flying as a bottom tier elite a lot more tolerable, makes not getting upgrades a lot less traumatic, and means less stressing about trying to get an exit row seat assignment when you're stuck in coach.
  • Worldwide service: I can access Europe, Asia, and Australia on United metal. (Delta admittedly has this benefit too now with their LAX-SYD service.)
  • Redeemable miles (UA only?): I've been able to redeem flights to places like Hawai'i for family and friends.
  • Access to major cities: I can access nonstops to New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, Houston, & D.C., America's #1, #2, #3, #6, and #7 sized cities, on UA/CO metal. If we're willing to include Star Alliance, throw in Philadelphia, #5, as well.
  • Reasonable customer service: United seems to answer any complaint with a voucher. During IRROPS, they try to fix things, especially for top tier elites.

Let's please not descend into a laundry list of what's wrong with UA/CO. There are plenty of threads addressing that.
Old Jul 28, 11, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Economy Plus & Redeemable Miles

The only coach seats at a reasonable price that fit my husband and son. I use miles mainly for my husband and younger son or for upgrades.
Old Jul 28, 11, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Just to point out, Houston is #4, by a long shot (HOU has 2,200 people, and number 5 on the list, PHX, has 1,600). Give credit where credit's due. Oh, and add a 2 in front of the 7, IAD is number 27 by pop. Even DEN is bigger (not sure how you're ranking your cities though).

I'd say *A and the fact we have thousands of miles with CO. Unless award redemption goes bad, we are staying.
Old Jul 28, 11, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Nostalgia

A family member of mine worked for CO for ~15 years and was there when Bethune turned it around. I fly CO out of Nostalgia, remembering how bad CO was pre Bethune and how good an airline it has been since. I fly UA as part of that legacy with the hope that the level of UA service improves to my perception of CO service. Generally speaking, I have found FAs on CO to be much more attentive and service oriented than UA. That said, both UA and CO have a long way to go to reach the level of service afforded on Emirates or Qatar airways.
Old Jul 29, 11, 12:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I live in San Francisco. As a hub, UA has more nonstop flights to places than other airlines. I am more or less trapped by geography.
Old Jul 29, 11, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
I have been flying from Asia to IAH once a month for the past 5 years on CO and the past 2 years on UA. The IAH -NRT flight in BF is my number one favorite flight followed by NRT-BKK upper deck on the UA 747. The UA NRt-BKK serves Trader Vics ribs that are best meal I have ever had in ther air.

In the 5 years of travel with CO I have had only one bad memory. That was sitting in coach for 15 hours in a broken seat that would not recline. For this CO comped me 6k miles.

I cannot recall one bad memory with UA, and I have been comped over 40K for small things that CO would laugh at.

Right now I am at 990,000 lifetime EQM's with CO and will become a MM on August 3 somewhere between NRT and IAH. Given the state of current events, I am still a happy customer of CO and UA.
Old Jul 29, 11, 4:02 am

Programs: UA-GS,2.79MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
Oh, and add a 2 in front of the 7, IAD is number 27 by pop. Even DEN is bigger of miles with CO. Unless award redemption goes bad, we are staying.
Don't have enough information to agree\disagree with your ranking by population, but the original poster said DC, not IAD. If he meant DCA verses IAD that changes things!
Old Jul 29, 11, 4:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by airchick View Post
The only coach seats at a reasonable price that fit my husband and son. I use miles mainly for my husband and younger son or for upgrades.
There are alternatives, you know.
Old Jul 29, 11, 5:58 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
E+, IAD hub, and E+
Old Jul 29, 11, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by last2board View Post
E+, IAD hub, and E+
+1 to the above, would add nonstop transcons and IROPS performance.
Old Jul 29, 11, 6:20 am

1) miles you can actually redeem and at normal levels. (This puts them head and shoulders above DL, but even with AA).

2) no YQ's on award tix. (DL does that to those of us living outside the US, and AA does it on BA-operated segments)

3) E+ (as a CO person, I like the idea but haven't actually tried it out yet)

4) lots of partners (although crediting miles by operating carrier instead of by airline code is really crappy)

I would disagree with the IAD hub being a positive, as IAD is a really crappy airport. I fly into Washington a fair amount and always try to use DCA instead, even if it means another connection. Indeed, I would put UA/CO's east coast gateways as one of their bigger negatives against both AA and DL.
Old Jul 29, 11, 6:27 am

Programs: AS, B6, HA, SPG, Hilton
EWR hub.

As a resident of central NJ, I am 45-100 minutes of (by driving times and light/normal traffic loads) of EWR, ABE, LGA, JFK and PHL. With EWR alone I have the ability to get mostly everywhere I need to go on CO(UA) metal and easy connections with other *A members.

I have other choices of carriers, esp if I am willing to travel to LGA or JFK mainly, but no need to cross the river with EWR so close by.

So, not exactly trapped by geography, by far, but more of a benefit of being here.
Old Jul 29, 11, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by rubbernyc View Post
EWR hub.

As a resident of central NJ, I am 45-100 minutes of (by driving times and light/normal traffic loads) of EWR, ABE, LGA, JFK and PHL. With EWR alone I have the ability to get mostly everywhere I need to go on CO(UA) metal and easy connections with other *A members.

I have other choices of carriers, esp if I am willing to travel to LGA or JFK mainly, but no need to cross the river with EWR so close by.

So, not exactly trapped by geography, by far, but more of a benefit of being here.
+1! This is probably the only reason I stuck with Continental for all these years! Now that I live in NYC, I have JFK and LGA too so I have options if I wanted to move.
Old Jul 29, 11, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
Just to point out, Houston is #4, by a long shot (HOU has 2,200 people, and number 5 on the list, PHX, has 1,600). Give credit where credit's due. Oh, and add a 2 in front of the 7, IAD is number 27 by pop. Even DEN is bigger (not sure how you're ranking your cities though)
I ranked it by size of metropolitan area, not core city. If I ranked the core city, it wouldn't be fair to even count EWR, IAD, etc. And the rankings would be even more *A friendly, given Houston's prominence.

Originally Posted by Carolinian View Post
I would disagree with the IAD hub being a positive, as IAD is a really crappy airport. I fly into Washington a fair amount and always try to use DCA instead, even if it means another connection. Indeed, I would put UA/CO's east coast gateways as one of their bigger negatives against both AA and DL.
I don't like IAD either, but we still have access to DCA via a Star Alliance carrier (US) whose DCA presence just became even stronger.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 29, 11 at 8:09 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 29, 11, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
I ranked it by size of metropolitan area, not core city. If I ranked the core city, it wouldn't be fair to even count EWR, IAD, etc. And the rankings would be even more *A friendly, given Houston's prominence.

Ah, I see

Search this Thread
Search Engine: